• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Easter or Summer Holidays?

elainejacobs

Earning My Ears
Hi There desperately in need of some sound advice, looking to spend three weeks in florida next year (2010) as the 2 we spent in 2007 just wasn't enough! Like many of you, need to work around the childrens holidays and the only choice open to us are the two big hols either easter or summer both seem to have numerous drawbacks, weather, crowds, costs! We were spoilt last time and went in february. What would people go for if they had to choose and if you went with the summer would you go early July or Mid august. Thanks for any help you may offer:headache:

I can only give my opinion as everyone like different things. Easter for us is too busy, Xmas is the busiest time of year then Easter is next, the lines are crazy and crowds are mad. Weather is also unpredictable, although it can be very nice it can also be longs and fleece temps, differs every year.

July or August, no question, later you get into August the quieter it gets.

You could also benefit from free DDP if staying in August. Temps can be too hot for some, ideal for us, we love August heat.

Easter max we can go is 14 nights, August we go for 25 nights as we come back bank holiday weekend so don't have to be at work until Wednesday.

We have been the last two years in late August and its quieter then as the American Schools Holidays end mid August.

It's a common question and problem. We have been in the same situation for a few years and have been both in the summer and at Easter as my wife is a teacher.
Neither time is ideal and there are pro's & con's for both.

We went Easter this year and for 3 or 4 days the parks were packed, but after that they were busy but manageable. To be honest we get a Guest Assistance Card with Joshua's disabilities which does help when the queue's are really bad.
The weather was ideal though late 70s and low 80s, lovely and sunny most times and even a pleasant breeze occasionally - it was this that prompted us to go then. Yes the parks are busier but at least you don't have the very high temperatures to contend with, my thought has always been crowds we can cope with, crowds & heat = hard work.
If Easter dates fall in early April weather wise should be perfect, though when it was in March in 2005 it was on the cool side.

Summer we have found in the past just too hot, doesn't bother me that much but Julie and Joshua struggle with it. The big plus is the 6 weeks off means you can potentially go for longer, or at least still have a couple of weeks left after your holiday. Easter is a struggle fitting 2 weeks in.

If you do go in summer I would avoid July if you can, it's unbearably hot and can be busy too but with those 6 weeks if you don't mind the heat mid August is probably your best bet.

We are planning going next summer but purely based on the longer period of school holidays, but it is extremely hot.

I've been at Easter several times, and yes, it's busy, but with early starts we've always managed to stay ahead of the game. The weather's been pretty reliable too.

Because we didn't want to take the kids out of school, and their Easter holidays don't coincide anymore, we went in August last year, with some misgivings... and spent the first week fighting with TS Fay.

I'd never risk it again. I'd never relax on the run up, watching the hurrucane warnings and weather reports.

I had the very same dilemma for next year.

I've only ever been in September before, which is lovely and warm, and very quiet, but you do tend to have more afternoon thunderstorms.

But new life now (divorced from DH I went with before, and new DB now who has 2 sons, who'll be 12 and 8 when we go).

SO.... I want to go back, and take the 3 of them, but it HAS to be school holidays, neither the senior nor junior school will tolerate taking them out of term. The choice then was Easter holls (they get 2 weeks) or summer (they get 6-7 weeks, but earlier than the English schools, they go back to school right in the middle of August).

After much thought, we eventually plumped for Easter! The parks will be busy whether we go Easter or Summer, but I think both the boys would really struggle with the heat and humidity in the summer, which makes that a no no. Easter 2010 is the first weekend of the 2 week school holls, so most of it will be spent travelling, and settling in, and we'll leave the parks till after Easter Monday and hopefully it will be a little quieter then. We also plan to get up early and attack on park days, and go with a thorough plan to try to avoid the worst of the crowds.

I must admit, I'm really worried that the crowds are going to spoil what should be a magical holiday, and always has been for me in the past, but if I go expecting the worst, then if it's better, then it's a bonus! I don't have any choice to go at a quieter time now, as I wouldn't leave the boys behind and just go with DB. That wouldn't be fair.

Hope my ramblings help with your decision. It's a tough one, I know! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter