• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Easiest way to Reserve 2 State Rooms

nj2vagrl

Earning My Ears
Family of four looking to cruise next August.
Two sons will be 17 and 16 at time of cruise.
Want stateroom with verandah and an inside stateroom.
When trying to explore options on the website, rooms are very limited and far apart.
What am I doing wrong?

Family of four looking to cruise next August.
Two sons will be 17 and 16 at time of cruise.
Want stateroom with verandah and an inside stateroom.
When trying to explore options on the website, rooms are very limited and far apart.
What am I doing wrong?
What cruise? Some cruises the rooms sell pretty quickly.

You might have better luck calling DCL directly.

You will not find verandah rooms connecting to insides. However, you can book them across the hall from each other. We did this on deck 9 on the Dream class (you can do this on other decks and ships as well). Maybe check all locations on decks 5 and higher, aft and forward if you've only been checking mid for example.

It is probably easiest to call. Online you have to check all the categories of both the verandah rooms and the insides to see what is available. It can be a bit tedious.

I find easier sometimes just to call DCL and get their help. I had to book two rooms over the years and I got a CM help. One cruise the rooms were very close, kind of across the hall but not exactly. However, another time I had two inside staterooms and the best they could do was the same deck but not that close. It worke out ok.

A DCL CM may be able to help you by phone but it's likely since you are looking at a cruise 12 months out, it is just that booked up already. Good luck!

What cruise? Some cruises the rooms sell pretty quickly.

You might have better luck calling DCL directly.
Thanks!
Looking at Eastern or Western Caribbean have found a few options being more patient today. Will probably call direct when finally decided.

You will not find verandah rooms connecting to insides. However, you can book them across the hall from each other. We did this on deck 9 on the Dream class (you can do this on other decks and ships as well). Maybe check all locations on decks 5 and higher, aft and forward if you've only been checking mid for example.

May I ask if parents and kids ended up in separate rooms? This is what we ultimately want, but know it needs to be booked with an adult in each room. How do the "Key to the World" cards logistics work in this situation?

I find easier sometimes just to call DCL and get their help. I had to book two rooms over the years and I got a CM help. One cruise the rooms were very close, kind of across the hall but not exactly. However, another time I had two inside staterooms and the best they could do was the same deck but not that close. It worke out ok.
Were the separate rooms for kids?
Just now trying to figure out how the logistics work with room cards. Ultimately we want the separate room for the two older teenage boys, but know it needs to be booked with an adult in each room. How does one handle the room cards situation?

May I ask if parents and kids ended up in separate rooms? This is what we ultimately want, but know it needs to be booked with an adult in each room. How do the "Key to the World" cards logistics work in this situation?

The KTTW card will open just the room the person is booked in, but you can request additional cards from guest services to act as room keys. These additional cards won't work for charging or for boarding or exiting the ship in port.

Also, be aware that if your family is planning to split up when exiting the ship in port, you will need to fill out paperwork so that each parent can exit with the child which is not assigned to their room.

When we sailed on the Fantasy in February Guest Services put both our cabins on each of our Key Cards. So we only had 1 card each but it opened both cabin doors. They can't do it when you check in but just go to Guest Services with all 4 cards and they will do it for you.

Last edited:
Were the separate rooms for kids?
Just now trying to figure out how the logistics work with room cards. Ultimately we want the separate room for the two older teenage boys, but know it needs to be booked with an adult in each room. How does one handle the room cards situation?

I booked the rooms with an adult in each room, but the kids stayed in one room and DH and me in the other. I wasn't sure if DCL a would allow me to book under 18 in a room together. We just told the room steward when we got on board who would be in the cabins.

The next time my oldest was over 18, so no worries.

When we sailed on the Fantasy in February Guest Services put both our cabin on each of our Key Cards. So we only had 1 card each but it opened both cabin doors. They can't do it when you check in but just go to Guest Services with all 4 cards and they will do it for you.

I did not know about this when we sailed. We got extra key cards for the rooms. One with all access would have been easier. It was the Dream back in 2011.

I did not know about this when we sailed. We got extra key cards for the rooms. One with all access would have been easier. It was the Dream back in 2011.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was surprised when they did it. I had read on here that they would give me another card. When I asked she said no just give me the cards you need for the other cabin and I will added it to you current card. It made it so much easier.

We have an adult in each room bc our kids are younger and the rooms are across the hall from each other, not connecting. Also, there's a form you need to fill out ahead of time so each adult is able to take each child not in the same room off the ship in each port.

Along with the "everyone who is changing rooms must get a new key card" there's also, whatever room you are actually registered in is the one who's lifeboat station you must attend. Even once you switch rooms. And, yes, it's possible for rooms next door/across the hall from each other to be at different muster stations.

Yes, @nj2vagrl , we made sure our two rooms were in the same muster station, too, although our TA said that could be subject to change (although she thought that would a rarity).

When we sailed on the Fantasy in February Guest Services put both our cabin on each of our Key Cards. So we only had 1 card each but it opened both cabin doors. They can't do it when you check in but just go to Guest Services with all 4 cards and they will do it for you.

Oh, I really hope we can do this, the last time I checked someone said they couldn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter