Earthquakes?

I was born and raised in Southern California and have survived earthquakes big and small. You will be fine as others have said with building codes and things they way they are you don't have to worry.

Saying that I understand as a child we went to Hawaii and though it was my first plane trip, I was more scared of Lava and Volcanos. I had nightmares for weeks over this. I have been back to Hawaii twice since and hope to go again this year and laugh about it now.

But would never live in Tornado Alley (EEEKKKK), and I don't want to deal with Hurricanes. But the scariest things in all of Florida is the bugs and humidity. No one can warn you enough!!!

I think everywhere has a disaster. Just read the emergency plans at your hotel and then worry about finding the characters and getting through the lines! :)

:scared: I grew up here in BC under the threat of earthquakes with earthquake drills "drilled" into our heads. For the most part though we either sleep through the real thing or spend that 30 seconds to minute questioning each other "did you feel that?":confused3

Hundred mile an hours winds (+) and rising tides scares the bejeebers out of this coastal gal.

That being said I will eat crow if the big one hits and all my uphill neighbors homes slide onto mine.

Good first step in asking these questions. Learning about something will lessen your fear of it. Here is a California FAQ about earthquakes, and there are also links about earthquakes at the bottom of the page. I'm sure that CA has building codes, etc. and that they are ready (see the Office of Emergency Services) if and when a major quake hits. California has learned a lot since the San Francisco quake back in 1906. I'm sure your trip (and mine in March) will go off without a hitch.

Of course I live on a large supervolcano and like California we have several minor earthquakes every day so I'm not at all worried about a CA quake :rotfl: ;) I will be in Disneyland come hell or high water!

Well, "the Big One" is supposed to hit anyday now, and is already overdue. Since the Northridge earthquake though, building codes have really been brought up, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

HEAD FOR THE HILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

I presume by 'they' you mean your family, not the state of Washington or its residents. We do have building and road construction codes (as well as remediation codes) designed to build/refurbish to withstand strong quakes, as well as emergency preparedness plans and so forth. Seismic monitoring and activity is on the news all the time, I can't imagine anyone living here thinking we are immune to earthquakes. :confused3

We lived in the Bay Area when I was a kid, and I slept through all the earthquakes. Really, it was no big deal, small ones happen all the time and you don't even feel them, they're centered in the ocean or deep underground.

I've been through a couple of bigger ones here in the Seattle area since then (two in a swaying highrise :scared1: ) and all was well. It is mostly older buildings that get a lot of damage, so I think you'll be in good hands at DL on the off chance that one hits during your stay.

Yes sorry - i did mean that, sorry if you thought I meant it to be all of WA. however, I have ran into it several times by folks. Mostly ones who don't live near any real towns and also have the impression that what happens anywhere else doesn't affect them. But those folks are certainly not limited to one state.

Thanks everyone!

You've made me feel better. I know it sounds silly but, I just wouldn't want to be so far from home, by myself, away from my wife and son, and my mind was telling me that I'd be stranded in the middle of a natural disaster, never able to leave. :) My mind is a pretty powerful thing, both good and bad :dance3: .

Anyways, thanks again! I really look forward to going out there this month!!!

Regarding hurricanes, I guess it's all what you're used to. Now, I won't lie, I hate them. I used to stay through them, until Hurricane Charlie a few years back. After that, I said "never again" and now we evacuate at the risk of one. Fortunately, just like you guys with earthquakes, you learn to live with them and how to live with them. We've learned that 'Canes die in their "killer" level strength about 20 miles inland, so, where do you think we go? We go to Orlando to Disney during hurricanes and as proof, I dont think Orlando has EVER had a category 4 or higher hurricane and has only ever had 2 category 3's in history.

With that said, the building codes here are unreal now and nearly every new building in a coastal area of Florida is build of concrete block (including my home) built to withstand a category 3. My problem is, we lose power for 2 weeks and have no A/C during 95 degree days with 100% humidity. MISERABLE!

Anyways, Thanks!

Okay, I'm naive, but I have a reason to be, I'm from Florida.

Im coming to DL this month and have one concern. What about earthquakes, are the buildings safe? I have this fear of being on a top floor of a building and it crumbling. Laugh, I know. I'm just saying, I'm not familiar with this and don't know anything of it and it honestly makes me a little fearful.

Can anyone tell me anything about this?
If there is an earthquake, the building you may be in will shake like crazy. The walls will shake, the furniture will shake, you will shake. Get in a doorway or under a table if you're in a restaurant. You will be absolutely scared to pieces but the shaking will stop and it will be over when it's over. If you are anywhere near a parking lot be prepared for a lot of noise because every car alarm will go off. If you are in a store or shop, especially a grocery store, be prepared for stuff to fall off shelves and walls; or be prepared for unsecured furniture, light fixtures, etc. to fall. Be aware that even though a building may not appear damaged, gas, phone, cable and power may be interrupted by situations that are miles from where you are. You will have trouble getting phone lines because EVERYBODY will pick up a phone to get in touch with loved ones as soon as the shaking stops . . . but every earthquake guide says not to do this so the lines are available for emergency personnel. Remember to stay calm, even if people around you panic. My first earthquake was the Whittier earthquake in '87. I was still in college and lived in a sorority house that was originally constructed in 1906! I was asleep and woke up with everything shaking around me. It was terrifying.

Regarding hurricanes, I guess it's all what you're used to. Now, I won't lie, I hate them. I used to stay through them, until Hurricane Charlie a few years back. After that, I said "never again" and now we evacuate at the risk of one. Fortunately, just like you guys with earthquakes, you learn to live with them and how to live with them. We've learned that 'Canes die in their "killer" level strength about 20 miles inland, so, where do you think we go? We go to Orlando to Disney during hurricanes and as proof, I dont think Orlando has EVER had a category 4 or higher hurricane and has only ever had 2 category 3's in history.

With that said, the building codes here are unreal now and nearly every new building in a coastal area of Florida is build of concrete block (including my home) built to withstand a category 3. My problem is, we lose power for 2 weeks and have no A/C during 95 degree days with 100% humidity. MISERABLE!

Anyways, Thanks!

Yep, it's all about what you're used to.

FL codes are making my aunt nutty. She lives in a double-wide near Daytona Beach. It's all bought and paid for, so that's good. She's lived there since '79, so the thing has survived all this time. But it's not built to today's code, so she can't get insurance on it, so she can't sell it, so she can't get OUT of there, which she wants to do, because she was born and raised in Upstate NY then fell madly in love with Arizona and only moved to FL to take care of her mother, and now she's stuck b/c she can't sell the thing. Which, again, while not to current code, has withstood all the weather that has been thrown at it for all these years.

And even if she were willing to take that total loss and just leave, her daughter loves living in that area and my aunt isn't going to just leave her daughter and two grandchildren, and the only option my cousin will consider is up in eastern PA where her husband is from, which isn't a thought to make my aunt happy, either!

My poor auntie.

Us SoCal natives tell people that we really DO have 4 seasons - earthquake, fire, flood and mudslides. :rotfl: Having said that, the chances of any of those happening on your trip are incredibly remote so enjoy yourself. As other posters have mentioned, most earthquakes are over before your brain registers them. I, too, am more afraid of hurricanes and tornados - yikes!

Katink

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter