• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Early morning flight question

headedtoWDW

Earning My Ears
Hi - we're less than two weeks from our WDW vacation, WOO HOO!!

I'm starting to stress about transportation at the end of our trip, as we've got an 8am flight out. If we use the Magical Express, we'll have to leave the hotel at 5am :scared1: Not the end of the world, but I am trying to brainstorm. How early should we plan to be at the airport (domestic flight)?

If I arrange private transportation, does anyone have suggestions for who to use? The other advantage to this would be that we'd potentially get to our resort (onsite) in time to have a nice dinner, rather than grabbing something quick before trying to get my daughter into bed at a decent time :)

Thanks so much, the disboards are amazing!!

We've used Happy Limo and Tiffany Town Car. Both were fine.

Magical Express wasn't that long of a wait for us. Probably just as fast as limo service because the bus left right after we boarded. i realize not everybuddy is that lucky.

You could use ME from the airport to WDW, then a car service on the return trip -- you really don't have to do a round trip on either.

As far as getting to the airport early -- the sequestration could make the TSA security lines even longer than they already are.

You should be at the airport at least 2 hrs before your flight. It sounds early leaving at 5 but by the time you get to the airport your almost at the 2 hr mark.
I have found that I need that time at the airport with the kids before rushing on the plane. You have to check in, go through security, and since it so early your DD will now want something to eat. You feed her, get her to the bathroom, get your carry on ready, it's time to board. I never have the time to sit and grab a bite, when we get to the airport. By the time I get everyone else settled and I sit to start eating, they are calling us to board. It happens every time.

Remember it is a 35 minute ride from WDW to MCO so the 3 hour pick up time you will be given is not to unrealistic. If you arrange other transportation you will only be saving 20 minutes and spending money to do so.

Car services will push to give you a pick up time 2 hrs prior to your flight...but be careful. That can get you to the airport with little time to spare!! If there is any traffic issue, or hugely long security lines? You may have an issue.
Even when I use a car service to get back to MCO, I always have them pick me up 2.5 hrs prior to my flight time. And that's what I always recommend to others. So, you would only be getting an addtl 30 mins sleep.
As far as your arrival into MCO and getting to your resort? When I have used a car service, these were my times, from gate to resort..
carryon bag only....45-50 mins
checked bags.......65 mins

When using DME, it has taken me an average of about 75 mins...has been as short as 55 mins and once as long as 90 mins, but most around 70-75 mins.

Only you can decide what works best for you and your family. But I don't think an addtl 30 mins sleep, and an arrival of about 15 mins earlier is worth tha cost of a car service. BUT...again, that's only my feelings. A lot of others prefer the car service.

Remember it is a 35 minute ride from WDW to MCO so the 3 hour pick up time you will be given is not to unrealistic. If you arrange other transportation you will only be saving 20 minutes and spending money to do so.

True. Even with a cab or private car, you need to leave no later than 5:20 - and even that is pushing it a bit. Security lines can be a nightmare early in the morning.

As far as saving time on arrival goes, you're still talking about 15 to 20 minutes.

True. Even with a cab or private car, you need to leave no later than 5:20 - and even that is pushing it a bit. Security lines can be a nightmare early in the morning.

As far as saving time on arrival goes, you're still talking about 15 to 20 minutes.

Agreed. Is half an hour extra worth spending $80? That is about how much a town car will cost one way. Round trip will be around $130. Not including tip.

Going to your resort too, unless you can pack in only carry-on bags, a car won't save you a whole lot of time. You will have to stop first and get your checked bags. Which is usually about the amount of time it takes you to get on a DME bus and get on your way.

Keep in mind that if you use DME to go back to the airport, you need to be at the bus stop 15 minutes before the time you are given. Buses do come early, and they will leave if you are not there, ready to go.

Thanks so much for all the replies, it's really helpful. I'll stick with the ME, save myself the money and stop stressing. Whew, one more decision made.

DW and I are planning our next trip to WDW and are contemplating the same scenario (early flight home out of MCO). What we decided to do if we book an early flight out is to leave WDW after dinner the evening prior to our flight and stay at the airport Hyatt hotel. We don't really miss any WDW time other than sleeping in their resort room the last night, and it will be much easier in the morning since we'll be at the airport already.

ETA- You can still take DME back to the airport even though it's the evening before your flight. (Just take your luggage with you.)

We have a 6:50am flight, so I'm expecting ME pick-up for around 4am. Yikes! Will we be able to check in our bags at the DW hotel that early in the morning? Or will we have to lug our own luggage with the early morning departure?

We have a 6:50am flight, so I'm expecting ME pick-up for around 4am. Yikes! Will we be able to check in our bags at the DW hotel that early in the morning? Or will we have to lug our own luggage with the early morning departure?

The RAC desks at the resorts open at 5 am. In your case then, I would plan to take your luggage on the DME bus.

Is it possible to check your bags the night before?

That's something I'm not entirely sure about, but I did find this on AllEars:

"The desks are open every day from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. You can check in no more than 12 hours and no less than 3 hours prior to your scheduled flight departure time."

Is it possible to check your bags the night before?
No. You will have to take your bags on the DME bus with you. This will be the case whether you utilize DME in the morning or the night before (and stay at the airport hotel).

If your pick up time is 4am you need to be at the bus stop by 3:45am. Back when DME first started, I didn't know that you had to be at the bus stop 15 minutes before the scheduled pick up time. My dad almost missed his bus because of it.:headache:

OP: Just got on the boards tonight to get advice on the same thing. DME to the resort but considering taking a town car back. Our flight back is at 7:45am and I keep checking to see if maybe they changed the time to our advantage but no luck yet. We are just going to brave it. DH said at least we're not getting up to leave at 5am to DRIVE back to PA (We've done that too many times and I hate it).

My son had a 6 am flight and was told to be ready for ME pick up at 3 am. He and his friend were picked up earlier than 3 since they were at the airport at 3:18am when he called us because no one was at the airport to check baggage or anything and he wasn't sure what to do. They had to wait till about 4am for employees to start work. Not sure why Disney wants them there when the airport isn't even really "open" for business yet. At least they didn't miss their flight. I told him to set his alarm in case they fell asleep.

That's something I'm not entirely sure about, but I did find this on AllEars:

"The desks are open every day from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. You can check in no more than 12 hours and no less than 3 hours prior to your scheduled flight departure time."

So maybe I could check them the night before then? I'll ask at the desk when I'm there, and try to remember to post the answer on here when we get back!

As for the airport hotel thing, I don't understand what the advantage would be...we'd miss out on a night we paid for at our disney resort, we'd have to pay for the airport hotel and we'd only be half an hour closer to the airport. Am I missing something?

headedtoWDW said:
So maybe I could check them the night before then? I'll ask at the desk when I'm there, and try to remember to post the answer on here when we get back!

As for the airport hotel thing, I don't understand what the advantage would be...we'd miss out on a night we paid for at our disney resort, we'd have to pay for the airport hotel and we'd only be half an hour closer to the airport. Am I missing something?

No. You can not check them the night before. RAC closes at 1pm which means the latest flight they'd take bags for is 1am. You will have to take your bags on the bus.

As for staying at the hotel airport it was a suggestion. Depending on what Disney resort you are staying at, the airport hotel may be cheaper. Simply cancel your last night at Disney. You wouldnt have to pay for both. And if you are on a package aren't you paying for extras (tickets/meals) for that last day?

As for timing... DME picks you up 3 hours before, you need to be at the stop 15 minutes before, I'd allow at least 15 min to get from room to DME stop, and I'd probably be waking up at least an hour before that. So my alarm would be going off 4 1/2 hours before my flight.

At the airport hotel, I'd target walking out 2 hours before my flight, 15 min to get from room to hotel, and alarm goes off an hour before that. So 3 1/4 hour. That's an hour extra sleep. IMO it's something to consider.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter