Early June or Mid-September?

skiergirl4

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip to Disney World this year and were pretty set on a mid-September trip, but now are wondering if early June might be better. I'd welcome your thoughts and suggestions!

Here are some details: We will be staying at POR either way. On the trip will be my husband, three daughters (ages 4, 8, and 12), and me.

If we go in June, we would drive down (17ish hours), check in on a Saturday and check out on the following Saturday. We would have six days in the park with no hoppers. MK two days, EP two days, AK and HS each one day.

If we go in September, we would fly down, check in on a Tuesday and check out on the following Sunday. We would have four days in the parks with no hoppers. MK two days, EP one day, and either AK or HS one day (we would have to pick one).

Pros for June: no missing school/work for the girls or me (I'm a teacher), more days in the parks, and getting to tour every park.

Cons for June: higher crowds (yuck), past the 180 day dining mark now (so we might not get our top choices for TS dinners)

Pros for September: lower crowds, lower crowds (yes, I typed that twice on purpose) ;)

Cons for September: missing school/work (3 days), missing either AK or HS, more rainy??

Money-wise, it's about the same even with more days in the parks/resort in June because we would not have airline tickets (but we would have gas) and I would not have to take unpaid days from work.

Sorry for the lengthy post! Thank you in advance for your wisdom and opinions!!

Factor in the possibility of hurricanes in September. They usually aren't until later in the month, if at all, and of course there can be a daily chance of thunderstorms in June or September.

I'd pick June. Not sure when the FL schools are out next year, but someone here on the Forum will offer that...and that means fewer crowds if the FL kids are still in school.

Definitely June. (The fact that we have a September trip booked and like the smaller crowds has NOTHING to do with it.)

Whenever you go, have a great trip!

Why is missing school/work a "con"? Should that be a "pro" (even if it's unpaid)? Seriously, I would opt for September for the lower crowd levels.

We are going the first full week of June. We get out a little earlier than other districts, so I'm still hoping for

Why is missing school/work a "con"? Should that be a "pro" (even if it's unpaid)?

Missing school as a student and work as a teacher both will require extra work at another time. Students will have work to make up, and teachers spend hours prepping substitute plans for the days they miss. I'm a teacher, and from my perspective it just isn't worth the extra work.

June all the way. Also, take one Epcot day away, and spend it at Blizzard Beach.

June. No question. You have more time and can enjoy a slower and more enjoyable pace. Also, I don't know that you can rely on low crowds in September. We went last July and September and our July trip was noticeably less crowded than September. I struggled with getting the ADRs and fastpasses we wanted in September and I planned 180+ days in advance. For July, I planned about 90 days in advance and got everything we wanted. FD and F&W really packed September last year. And it is packed with hard core Disney planners who will be waiting up at midnight or getting up at 5 am to get the best resort discounts, fastpasses, and ADRs. We are going in September again because we have a school break then, but I worry about fighting for those ADRs and FPs.

We always go early June. It's warm, relatively crowded, and rains for awhile almost every day. That being said it's nice way to kick off the start of summer, you get the late hours, it's a great time to be there :goodvibes

We've been both early June and mid Sept, and I'd say June for sure. Not missing school is a big factor, as well as the greater chance for bad weather. This far out you have time to keep checking for ADR cancellations as well.

Haven't been in June so I can't really comment on that, however we go every September and we love that time of year! You will have to deal with the chance of rain almost everyday but it usually doesn't last long and as long as you have a poncho I'd say you're good to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter