Early June or early Sept-after Labor Day?

mamapenguin

DIS Veteran
We were just there Feb 4-6, but I think we need one more trip this year. We've never been in September. The dates I had in mind are 6/3-6/6 & 9/9-9/12.

June 3 and 4th are grad nights if that makes any difference. Lucky you that you can go twice a year, we are lucky to get there once.

Sept has been horribly hot the past few years, if that makes any difference in your choice of dates. Last Sept it was 103º when we were there. We were so miserable we just went back to the room and cranked up the AC and didn't go back to the park until that evening. The Sept heat was the main reason they moved Dapper Day to November this year.

I wondered why they moved dapper days.... I have one of those squirt bottle fans, and there's always pool time and water rides. I will keep the heat in mind though.

I guess it depends on what's more important to you -- crowds or weather. I personally think it would be less crowded in September, but it will also likely be 20 degrees warmer. I'd take 80 degrees and a bit more crowded over 100 degrees any day. I just don't think the crowd difference would be noticeable enough to justify my standing in 100-degree weather all day.

I did a lot of research and we're going the second week of Sept. After that there are either lots of things down or it's much more crowded.
Temps are historically in the upper 80's and humidity isn't bad.

I think either time of the year would be fun. On average, June is cooler than September, but the weather seems so unpredictable so it's hard to say what you'll actually experience. HydroGuy has a useful Detailed Weather thread that will help give you a sense of the range of weather you might experience in June and September.

As mentioned, the June dates do coincide with a couple of Grad Nite dates, but that does not usually impact part operating hours. Grad Nites happen over in DCA after DCA closes to the general public. Some folks avoid Grad Nites as much as possible, while others have reported having little or no issues with the high school students. The students do get park hopper tickets, so you'll see them in both parks during the day, so it can have an impact on the thrill ride attraction wait times. The June dates should be after the official start of the summer season, so there should be long operating hours and full evening entertainment.

Early September is a bit more iffy, especially this year. We don't yet know when HalloweenTime will start, but it's most likely either going to be September 9 or 16 if it follows historic operations. The first weekend of HalloweenTime is often very busy as guests come in to see this year's offerings (e.g., Haunted Mansion Holiday). So if HalloweenTime starts on the 9th, there may be pretty high crowds in the park. If HalloweenTime doesn't start until the 16th, then there is a good chance that Haunted Mansion will be closed (it closes usually in mid-to-late August to have the overlay installed), but the crowds might be on the lighter side because it's between "seasons."

I vote for early June. The weather will, on average, be much more pleasant in early June compared to early September.

We just went in September and it was indeed hot and sticky! I would consider June for the longer hours and cooler weather. And I think I'd rather face Grad Night crowds than the beginning of the Halloween season... Have fun planning!

Almost six to one half a dozen to the other here because your days are a weekend in June vs a weekend in September. Summer is busy in the parks but so are weekends year-round so I don't know that there is much of an advantage in one date over the other crowd wise. Grad nites can affect you enjoying the park but check the board here for planning tips before and you'll be just fine. June is less likely to see ride closures than right after labor day. Weather is a toss up in my book. My gamble here would be to say June because it's less likely to be humid, but that's just a gamble- not even as good as a guess ;) There was some scorching weather at the end of last summer in Sept as reported above but the weather has been very different in CA this year compared to last year- so seriously who knows? (Although as I write this my town is looking at almost breaking our record high for today's date so maybe the weather won't be so different lol.) I think I would personally go with June out of fear of what they might take down for refurbishment right after Labor Day, but then maybe your September dates have better hotel rates being post-Labor day? This is actually a really hard choice OP! Turns out my ultimate vote is you can't go wrong with either!

Post Labor Day Hotel Rates are good, airfare in June for those dates was great. That was part of the debate. Thanks everyone.

Another consideration is that the 60th Celebration will still be going on in June and will have just ended in September.

which nights are grad nights for 2016? I was looking at June 8-10 getting there early afternoon on the 8th. We typically go at rope drop, break for lunch and swimming, then back from 4-7pm. Wish we could go just after labor day (despite the heat) but DD6 will have school.

I would absolutely vote for September. Crowds will be better then the June pick since it's not over summer break and this will follow the labor day long weekend plus kids are back just back in school. The weekend will be crowded (albeit slightly better on a non-holiday weekend) no matter what but Friday and Monday should be decent. Temps are so unpredictable this far out... heck, we're going this weekend and they're calling for mid 90s on Sun and Mon!

I say early June. The grad nights kids can be annoying but you can avoid them. But September has been terribly hot the past few years. Upper 90s pretty much every day it seems.

which nights are grad nights for 2016? I was looking at June 8-10 getting there early afternoon on the 8th. We typically go at rope drop, break for lunch and swimming, then back from 4-7pm. Wish we could go just after labor day (despite the heat) but DD6 will have school.

June 8th and 10th are both a grad nite - the 9th is not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter