Early FP+ or late FP+?

iujen94

DIS Veteran
Long-time, many-trip Disney goer and former paper FP hoarder. Venturing into FP+ world for the first time in mid-February (the second half of Presidents' Day week). I've read tons of FP+ threads and know there are two general FP+ strategies - get FP+ for as early as possible, in hopes that you can get additional FP+s after those three are used up, or plan on short standby lines for the morning and schedule Fp+ times for the afternoon when lines are longer.

So my question is ... Which strategy dor you prefer and why? If you have tried morning FP+s with hope of additional FP+s later, what attractions did you find to still have FP+s available that afternoon?

We are spoiled from the old FP system and used to riding the "big" rides 3, 4, and even 5 times a day. I'm mentally preparing myself for this trip to be much different (sadly!).

Thanks for your thoughts! (And feel free to direct me to old posts discussing this issue is there are any - I had trouble finding this specific question but I'm sure it's been discussed!)

We booked ours for 10:30, 11:30, 12:30. We're able to grab 7 one day and 8 another at MK!

We booked ours for 10:30, 11:30, 12:30. We're able to grab 7 one day and 8 another at MK!

I am confused...I thought you could only pre-book 3 and then could get one more at the park later in the day once all your original 3 were used. Is this still the case?

What kind of attractions were you able to get additional FP+s for? Any of the Mountains or other more popular attractions?

I am confused...I thought you could only pre-book 3 and then could get one more at the park later in the day once all your original 3 were used. Is this still the case?

Yes after you use your first three, I think you can grab another fast pass, then after that one is used you can grab another, etc.

Prefer morning FPs. We will RD do walks for an hour than start to use are FPs around 9:30-10:00. Leave the park around 1:30. Back to the GF for a few hours get a nice dinner than head back or do something else in the World.

For MK every ride was available for a 4th+ pass except for the obvious ones (A&E, 7DMT). Same with AK. Epcot and DHS not so much due to limited attractions.

We prefer later ones. Do as much as possible with short waits when the park opens and save the FPs for later in the day, often at a second park.

Although you can obviously get a greater NUMBER of FPs by scheduling them early, I think you can get more VALUABLE (in terms of time saved) FPs if you schedule them for later.

We are also in that group that often likes to take a break in the middle of the day, either by going back to the resort or going to lunch at a nearby resort.

We also often have to visit at the busiest times of year. At those times standby lines for major attractions have always been prohibitively long for us from late morning through the evening. I would rather use my FPs to avoid some of those lines than to skip some shorter ones before 11 AM. I suspect that the availability of 4th FPs on very busy days will be pretty slim.

We prefer later ones. Do as much as possible with short waits when the park opens and save the FPs for later in the day, often at a second park.

Although you can obviously get a greater NUMBER of FPs by scheduling them early, I think you can get more VALUABLE (in terms of time saved) FPs if you schedule them for later.

We are also in that group that often likes to take a break in the middle of the day, either by going back to the resort or going to lunch at a nearby resort.

We also often have to visit at the busiest times of year. At those times standby lines for major attractions have always been prohibitively long for us from late morning through the evening. I would rather use my FPs to avoid some of those lines than to skip some shorter ones before 11 AM. I suspect that the availability of 4th FPs on very busy days will be pretty slim.

we prefer later / early afternoon ones too. However we go during the lighter times of year. I found standing in kiosk lines (to get another FP) to be frustrating. So I stood in a line to get a FP to hopefully not stand in another line.. Also (at least when we've been there using FP+ - specifically January 13 and May 13 - the FP+ kiosks would move from day to day. So you'd go where you knew there was a kiosk and voila it was gone so sort of then it became 'find the kiosk' then stand in line to get another FP

IMO MK is the easiest one - having of course the most rides / attractions to get extra "good" FPs.

We tried to book starting 10:30am as well trying for third one early afternoon, but often there was one harder to get so it didn't end up being until later in afternoon or evening (eg we had A&E at 6:50pm). I think there was only one day that we checked for an additional FP. But as someone said, it's about the value so be sure to book the ones with longer line ups with the ones you're interested in as per mesaboy's recommendations.

We booked ours for afternoons... a few are in the later morning just because that's all was available for that day, but in general they are noon or later. We'll be doing RD, and we'll just aim to hit as many as we can before noon starting at BTMR one day, and then starting at PP another day, etc. I have my 7D fp+ set for a few days, so that's not an issue for SB, thank goodness. This way, I guess I was thinking, we'd have gotten a few of the 'not as sought after' rides done before the crowds get high, and be guaranteed of at least 3 great rides every afternoon before our dinner adr's.

We are a rope drop/afternoon break family. Evening FP's seem to work better for us. We can get so much done Stand By the first 2 hours, even during busy times.

we prefer later / early afternoon ones too. However we go during the lighter times of year. I found standing in kiosk lines (to get another FP) to be frustrating. So I stood in a line to get a FP to hopefully not stand in another line..

I agree with above. I found standing in line at a kiosk to make a 4th fastpass negates any time saved in line, especially because by the time you get to book a 4th FP (even if you did three before lunch) the only rides left are less popular ones with lower wait anyway. But it depends on the time of year/crowds. If no lines at the kiosks, then trying for 3 morning FP is OK.

I did a mix of days; some with 3 morning and some with 3 afternoon FP, to see which I liked better. I'm still not entirely sure. Truth be told, I will probably do a mix of days next trip. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter