Early Entry at California Adventure

jennilouwho

DIS Veteran
Hi! I am helping my neighbors plan a trip to Disneyland. They won a vacation package and will be staying at the Grand Californian. I am super jealous! Anyway, they will have one day at California Adventure and plan on using early entry. What is the best strategy for a Wednesday in July? How busy is RSR during early entry? Is it best to do that and get it done or better to do TSMM, TOT, and Soarin' and then get a fast pass for RSR at park opening? Any advice? I've never stayed on site... :-( Also, if you know, they have to check out of their hotel on Thursday, can they stay parked there all day? Thanks!

RSR is a crap shoot- you never know when it will be running. We've gone to DCA probably 10 park days now at open time, 3 during EE and probably 1/2 the time RSR was down at open, and 90% of the time it was down at some point during the day for multiple hours. We've never tried to do RSR at EE start or rope drop - too much of a zoo but it's possible depending on the luck of the day you'd get through it fast. We prefer this strategy for EE days - we did this last August:

1. Soarin (first show - get it out of the way with no line)
2. Toy Story (line is still pretty short)
3. I did Screamin' single rider (walk on) while DH and DD5 did the carousel next door
4. Now it's 15 min to open - DD went to get RSR fast passes, Mickey's fun wheel was just opening so DD5 and I went there
5. We met DD at Goofy's sky school just when rope drop happened and it opened - for 8am EE we had a 10:20 RSR FP time
6. Did a bunch of other rides until our RSR fastpass time - Zephyr, Silly Swings, Ariel, Monsters, 1-2 bugs life, etc. Then we went to our FP return time. Luckily it was up but it had been down already so we had some expired FP return FP folks in line with us so it probably took 30 min to get through the FP line and ride. IF RSR goes down for multiple hours that day (which is common) we often just give away our FP as the FP return line is over an hour as anyone who had a FP that day can return anytime if the ride was down on or near their FP return window. RSR is a great ride but now we treat it like something close to winning the lottery as to whether we get to ride it. For us it's probably 50% per FP that we actually get to ride it. I'd be much more frustrated if I had been in a regular line when the ride went down.

Yes, they can park during their check out day -did the package include parking? If no, they'd have to check to see what time the parking expires - I think it may depend on what time they arrived. At that point they'd probably charge per hour or per day depending on how many hours you go over. Other advice is if they are coming early and staying somewhere else the night before, they can check in at GCH as early as 6AM and do EE/MM if they wanted. We did that once when we did a split stay at HoJo's the night before- we walked from HoJo's to GCH at 7am, checked in, went to 8am EE at DCA, then went back to HoJo's at 11 to check out and took a cab to GCH to bring our bags where they were in storage until our room was ready around 4.

I'm jealous of your neighbors too - GCH is a wonderful place. We're getting ready to head down this weekend to do the Neverland 5K and will be off site- that extra EE hour would have come in handy!

I think Wed July hours are typically a 7am EE which I've never done - for that if RSR is running it may be worth trying to do that first as I'd think 7am stops a lot of folks from taking advantage of EE. But again, be ready for disappointment if it's down.

Depending on if they have kids or not, and how old they are, I would change the above scenario a bit.

My kids are older (19,14), so we would first head to RSR first to see if it was open and if they are allowing single riders (we have found the single rider line open about 50/50 before official park opening). If open, multiple SRL for RSR, then Toy Story, then multiple trips on Screamin. Depending on how busy we might think the day is going to be, we would pull a FP for RSR if we think we could get two, or wait until the FP times were in the evening so we could ride at least once at night.

If RSR SRL is not open, we would head to Toy Story first and then ride screaming multiple time. Hit Toy Story again, then depending on the time, head to get a FP for RSR-with the same caveat as above for timing. We like to save Soarin for later in the day when it is hot-have to be honest we did not even go on it the last two trips because of the screen. We would usually opt for TOT next and hit Ariel later when/if it is hot.

Get to the main entrance of California Adventure 30-15 minutes before park opens for EMH. Avoid the Grand California Hotel entrance.

Head directly to RSR. Ride it once then head to TSMM and do that a couple of times. As the park is about to open do Screamin, Carousel, Funwheel, Goofy, Symphony, Mermaid, grab FP for RSR, ride Soarin, grab FP for WOC ride Grizzly.
This should take two hours after park opens to do.

Parking shouldn't be an issue. U just wave your room key when u leave the structure and they open the gate for you. They don't even look at it. I could wave my room key from 2 months ago and no one would know. But that would be dishonest. They will be fine in the grand/paradise pier parking area

We just did the early hour this week, it seemed like everyone headed to RSR. We skipped RSR and headed to TSMM. I think we rode it 4 times in a row then rode Screaming with no wait. We headed to the RSR fast pass line 15 minutes before park opening and it was open so we grabbed fast passes. We really enjoy TSMM so this worked the best for us. Once we got our fast passes we did Tower of Terror and Goofy's sky school with no waits.

We just did the early hour this week, it seemed like everyone headed to RSR. We skipped RSR and headed to TSMM. I think we rode it 4 times in a row then rode Screaming with no wait. We headed to the RSR fast pass line 15 minutes before park opening and it was open so we grabbed fast passes. We really enjoy TSMM so this worked the best for us. Once we got our fast passes we did Tower of Terror and Goofy's sky school with no waits.

We don't stay on property, so we don't get EMH, but we do go first thing in the morning and know to go on non-early entry days. We also skip RSR since everyone is heading there and go straight to Toy Story. We love being able to ride it with no wait, and have had the opportunity to just walk right in with no queue before. We just get RSR passes after riding Toy Story a time or two, by then the line is gone and the FP are still plentiful. The morning is a good time to be on the Pier as it's not busy yet and you can walk on all the rides, assuming they're operating.

We try to get RSR out of the way first thing in the AM, then grab a FP. It goes down so often and we've been luckiest in the morning.

This is great to know ! I would've thought to go to RSR first, but letting the crowd rush over there and riding TSMM first makes so much more sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter