• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Early Dec for shorter stay or Christmas Week?

McKelly

DIS Veteran
I have been wanting to take my kids to see WDW in all of it's Christmas glory, however, I have nightmares of losing my kids in the crowds of people that accompany the week between Christmas and New Years.

So, I was considering pulling them from school for three days in the beginning of December, flying down after school on a Tuesday and then staying until Sunday night, so we would have five full days to see everything. Or the other option would be leaving Christmas Eve and returning around New Year's.

What would you do? I feel bad pulling them out of school for three days, but the teachers said they would have no problems catching up (2nd and 4th grade). It is obviously MUCH CHEAPER to go in the beginning of December, so that is a plus. We are also going in June, so this trip is strictly to see specific Christmas things, but we could stay longer if we waited until Christmas itself, but would the crowds offset the extra days? Any thoughts? Thanks!

I think it is smart to avoid the crowds, so I would go in early Dec. We have done it twice and it was magical! There were no lines, no crowds, elbow rooms at parades, no lines for CS, warm enough to swim, awesome Christmas decorations and a lot of magical Christmas spirit. To this day, we still have flashbacks of horror the time we went the week before Easter, years ago!!

Some things to consider for December:

* Candlelight Processional
* Tree lighting Ceremony
* Santas around the world
* Osborne Lights
* MVMCP

Happy planning!

I just had a chat with the principal at DS school about this a few weeks ago and he told me to book the beginning of Dec he feels travel is an important part of kids education even if its to Disney
he totally understood me shying away from the park during the hoilday

Early December. No question about it. And I am a teacher in my former life (SAHM now). :thumbsup2

Pull them.
I do it every year.
I just did it for this past Christmas & wouldn't hesitate again & mine are a DD13(freshman) & DS10 (4th grade).

:teacher: ( I pulled myself out as well:goodvibes )

Ugghhh, the thought of those Christmas crowds! :eek: Definately early December hands down! The weather is great, the decorations are just as magical as Christmas week, and best of all, NO LINES! Use the trip to get you in the holiday spirt! :santa:

No question about it - early December :thumbsup2

We've gone twice (1st weekend) (2nd week) and loved both trips :cool1:

Low crowds but the holiday spirit is alive and well. I took DS out last year for a week (7th grade) no problems at all. Go and enjoy :goodvibes

my ds school district is very strict if you miss more than 3 days in a row w/out a excused absent you get fined$$$$$:scared: this is a very good school district may taxes are proof:lmao: but they have zero tolerance!!

Another vote for early December! We went at that time one year and it was really nice! You still get to do all the same things and you don't have to deal with the crowds. It's a nice way to get ready for Christmas, and then you are home for Christmas. Best of both worlds...although some years the thought of not being home for Christmas sounds pretty great, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter