Early California Grill or Artist Point before a date night @ MK?

Megara5115

DIS Veteran
I figure we can simply take either the monorail or boat over to MK after dinner. I was lucky enough to get a MSEP & Wishes FP for that night (we have 2 other MK days where we are using our fast passes for rides).

Based on ambiance and value but mostly yummy food and good service (both menus look good to us), which would you recommend for a 5:30 ADR?

Honestly I think both are great choices. I dined at both CA Grill and AP on my last trip to WDW and had outstanding meals at both. Given the time of your ADR, I would probably lean towards Artist Point because it has huge bay windows that let in a lot of light and it can be very pretty during sunset.

I like both of these restaurants; the food is good at both and the views can be great from both. But with that said, I personally like the food better at Artist Point and I also think the service is top notch at Artist Point whereas I have found it to be somewhat spotty at the Cali Grill. In addition, the Wilderness Lodge Resort is an awesome resort to walk around and spend a little bit of time before heading back to the MK. Either way, you will have a good time.

Last edited:
You're good with either...but if you can get an ADR for during the fireworks, go CG

They both sound great... I like the idea of Artist Point but I feel like California Grill is considered a "must do"?

You can't go wrong with either restaurant, we really like both restaurants. Both offer wonderful and romantic views and they both have great food and very good service. However, I would lean towards Cali Grill only if you get a window seat. DH and I dined there on a date night and we got a wonderful window seat where I was able to look out towards MK and watch the sunset over it....it was gorgeous, while DH viewed the rest of the "World". Even though we didn't go to MK that night, we were able to leave the restaurant and ride around the monorail and do a sort of monorail crawl (had a drink at each of the monorail resort's lounges), then when it was close to the time for Wishes, we headed back to Cali Grill where we just showed them our receipt from earlier that night and they allowed us to head back up to watch it. It was amazing...nothing beats having a glass of your favorite wine while watching the best fireworks show :goodvibes.

Ohhhhhhhhh monorail crawl... I like the sound of that! Hmmmmm that is a thought too then maybe miss the craziness of mk...

I've recently dined at both and California Grill is leagues above Artists Point in my opinion. The whole overall experience at Cali Grill can't be beat. Especially before a date night.

The food at Artists "looked" good to me too but my party of four left unsatisfied with our meals.

On any given night, the food and service at one may hold the edge over the other--I've had excellent and mediocre meals at both. For me, it comes down to ambiance. CG does have amazing views of Wishes (even if your table isn't in a great spot, you can always go outside), but given it's nearly always crowded there the noise level isn't the best for romantic small talk. Notice I didn't say it wasn't romantic--it is. If you don't mind the buzz of a bar scene and energy of an upscale restaurant going full tilt with a modern vibe, you'll be fine. On the other hand, if what you seek is something a bit more intimate, leisurely, and quieter, then AP would be the better choice. The restaurant is rarely fully crowded and the noise level doesn't match CG's. While not offering great views of Wishes (and piped-in music), AP does offer a serene walk around the resort mere steps away and a beach from where you can watch EWP and much of the higher explosions of Wishes. If your wish is to feel more alone on date night, then AP is the winner. If you want a fun time with more of a party excitement, then CG takes the trophy.

As others have said you really can't go wrong with either. I give CG a slight edge on the food, but artist point more romantic as it is more laid back and quiet

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter