Earl of Sandwich?

It's really good! I don't think you'll be disappointed.
8 kids! You are a brave woman. Depending on their appetites and if you can get 2 to agree on a sandwich, they can share one. Sandwiches are huge.

This made me chuckle because that's the problem- I really haven't planned anything! I'm taking my finals for school the day before we leave and our new business just took off suddenly a few weeks ago and we've been SWAMPED! lol! I think I need to get my act together sooner than later!

And your response made me chuckle, too. Notice I said as long as you know each day where you want to start and roughly which headliners you want to do. You don't need to plan that out in advance. Go there, get the entertainment guide. Then, each evening, discuss with your family what you'd all like to do the next day. That's all it takes. You'll be ahead of 80% of the other families there.

Good luck on your finals, and congrats on your business success. Hope you have a great time at DLR, and that you don't stress yourself out over it.

-Bob

Where, in Downtown Disney, is Earl of Sandwich? I can't seem to locate it on the map. What is it next to? Thanks!

And your response made me chuckle, too. Notice I said as long as you know each day where you want to start and roughly which headliners you want to do. You don't need to plan that out in advance. Go there, get the entertainment guide. Then, each evening, discuss with your family what you'd all like to do the next day. That's all it takes. You'll be ahead of 80% of the other families there.

Good luck on your finals, and congrats on your business success. Hope you have a great time at DLR, and that you don't stress yourself out over it.

-Bob

Thank You! :thumbsup2

Here are my detailed thoughts about/experiences with Earl of Sandwich in DTD (overall, I give it a ringing endorsement but with some qualifications and exceptions). I'll put this out there for the OP and for anyone else who is new to Earl of Sandwich:

1. My EOS experience: I got food from EoS on 3 separate occasions during my annual holiday trip this past December 2012 - one of the times my friends and I ate at the restaurant (outdoor tables) and the other two times I took my sandwiches with me to my room. (The "Cannonballs!" part of my "Candlelight & Cannonballs!" Trip Report title is a direct tip of the hat/nod to Earl of Sandwich's meatball creation.)

2. EOS' seating It can be tricky to nab seats on a night when it is busy. Most of the outdoor benches were full at first glance when my friends and I were table-hunting,and I felt like we had to lurk around ominously, waiting for someone to leave so we could sit down. Most of the indoor seating was full when we looked, as well.

3. EOS' convenience, portability, etc.: I found EoS to be really convenient for me, personally, because I wanted to take something back to my hotel room (I stayed at the PPH) instead of eating at the actual restaurant itself on two of my nights. The sandwiches are tightly wrapped in foil (keeping them warm) and they come in a handy takeout bag with handles, so they are very portable and would be a great meal option for other folks in the same situation I was in - where you feel like you want to eat in your hotel room but you need to be sure the food will transport well, and without making a mess.

4. EOS' value: This is where I will add a qualification - I think that the EoS sandwiches are a very good value...FOR DISNEYLAND RESORT. My 'thing' is that a lot of times I want to eat something substantial or hearty at DLR, but I don't want a full meal with side dishes and all of that. Sometimes I just want a single sandwich, or a single burger and nothing else. Even though I like Taste Pilot's Grill in DCA, I don't always want to pay $15+ for a burger, onion rings and a drink or shake. I feel like if I went to TPG and just asked for a single (kind of flimsy) burger, I would be grossly overpaying for the value and quality of that single burger. And if I wanted a turkey sandwich at, say, River Belle Terrace, the sandwich might be good but the price would be higher than I want to pay because it comes with sides.

So, in that context, for the quality you get and for the value relative to other eating establishments on Disneyland Resort property, Earl of Sandwich is a great "bargain." I can go in and get my single sandwich, which will probably be of a higher quality and better-tasting than a lot of food I would get inside either Disney park - and for just under $7.00, with an AP discount!

However, just for comparison's sake because it's worth noting....if you are someone who eats at Subway a lot - and there are people who do - but have visited EoS, you will know that you actually pay less money for a Subway footlong sandwich than you will pay for a sandwich of a smaller size at Earl of Sandwich. Of course, there are no Subways in Downtown Disney so EoS wins that race in that location. But, outside of Disney, if I were trying to get the most bang for my buck and stretch the value, and if EoS and Subway were side by side, I might go to Subway instead. Possibly. That's not to say that I think Subway's meatball sandwiches necessarily taste better than the Cannonballs! at EoS because I don't think they do. But my dollar would go farther and I would actually pay less money at Subway than I would at EoS - for a bigger sandwich.

So, again, it largely boils down to the value relative to location and context. And by those standards, Earl of Sandwich is a great value for a place located on Disneyland Resort property, compared to the inflated costs of the food at the Disney-owned establishments.

5. EOS' wait time & menu viewing: On one of the nights I visited EoS (a Monday night in the second week of December) there was no line at all and I basically just walked right up to the counter to order. (Mondays in early December seem to be less crowded than other days of the week in December, I've observed!) However, on Sunday night there was quite a long line outside. Tuesday night was pretty busy too.

Someone comes up to 'take your order' as you stand there if the line stretches outside, but it doesn't really save any time because your order is not being prepared at all. It is not prepared until you actually go up to the counter and tell them what you want. So the point of the person coming out to jot down the order on a ticket was kind of lost on me because it didn't expedite the order process at all.:confused3 If there is a line outside, it will probably move fairly quickly but still, it can be a wait.

Also, if you are stuck in a line outside of EoS, you may not be able to get a clear view of the menu. There is a sample menu board stationed outside, but it doesn't list the ingredients in the sandwiches. In order to see what is in the sandwiches, you have to look at the menus on the wall inside the restaurant. The menu board outside basically just gives you the names of the sandwiches and (I think) the prices. My friend couldn't figure out what she wanted at first because she couldn't see what was actually in the sandwiches until we got to the indoor queue. So when the person came up to "take our order" outside, my friend wasn't sure what to tell her.

6. EOS' selection/variety: Again, if you eat at places like Subway or Quizno's, you are used to a pretty wide variety of sandwiches. EoS does not have a really wide variety of sandwiches, but what they do have is a decent enough selection for both the meat-loving sandwich fans and the vegetarian sandwich fans.' They offer quite a lot of desserts, chips, drinks and accompaniments of you want them, but I found that anything I would have wanted (like a peppermint brownie or strawberry shortcake) was always sold out. And once it's sold out, it's gone. They don't make those desserts fresh to order so if they are gone then you're out of luck until whenever they get more of them in stock.

7. EOS' taste/flavor: The Cannonballs! meatball sandwich was flavorful, and it even had a bit of a bite to it - I don't know if "tangy" is the right word to use, but I think the sauce seemed extra salty or something. It was zingy, with a kick!:lmao: My friends said that their sandwiches were very good (they ate the Caprese sandwich and the Mediterranean chicken wrap). I also got a Holiday sandwich and thought it would be good to eat cold for some crazy reason, so I saved it for the next morning. It was okay, but not great. Cold stuffing is not that tasty, and yet, the stuffing's flavor seemed to overpower everything else in the sandwich. Next time I will try the Holiday sandwich when it's warm!:rotfl2:

8. EOS makes mistakes!! Always be sure to check your order before you get too far away from the restaurant (like if you are taking your food back to a hotel, as I did). Out of the 3 occasions on which I got food from EoS, there were mistakes made on 2 of those occasions. (Those are not great stats!)

On visit #1, my friend actually ordered the Chinese Chicken wrap...but EoS gave her the Mediterranean wrap, which is very different! She realized it after she began eating it, and the flavor profile didn't exactly match up with what she expected from a Chinese Chicken wrap. She quickly established that she was given the completely wrong sandwich, BUT she didn't complain because she actually enjoyed the sandwich - even though it was a mistake!:rotfl2: However, that is a BIG mistake to make which could have gone terribly wrong, and it shows that someone was being careless (somewhere between the ordering and preparation points) in that restaurant.

Also, on visit #2, the cheese was totally left off of my Cannonballs! meatball sandwich. I made the mistake of not checking it before I started marching back to the Paradise Pier Hotel and I didn't realize the cheese was missing until I got settled in the room and sat down to eat. At that point I was tired and I didn't feel like trotting all the way back to EoS to complain, so I just ate it.

So be sure to check your orders because EoS makes more mistakes than they should be making - at least they did in December! I don't know about now.

9. But...EOS has good customer service in the corporate office! On visit #3 (my last night at DLR), I went back for one final Cannonballs! sandwich. I told the girl at the counter that they had been making mistakes over the previous 2 nights, and she kind of offered up an insincere "I'm sorry," but that was the extent of it. She was very nice and all, but just didn't seem to care that much that they had been goofing up the orders!

So, quite a while after my trip ended and I was back at home, I wrote to EoS via their website. I told them that I really like their restaurant and that I think they are a great addition to Downtown Disney. I told them that I had been looking for a place to open up on Disneyland Resort property where I could get portable, tasty sandwiches (without unnecessary sides) that didn't cost a 'Disney fortune,' and that Earl of Sandwich fits the bill nicely! I also told them about the mistakes that were made on my visits - both with my friend's Mediterranean wrap and my cheeseless meatball sandwich.

I told the EoS corporate folks that we ate the sandwiches anyway, mistakes and all, but I just wanted to let them know that their brand new Disneyland Resort location was being a little careless and that they might want to keep an eye on things a bit better since they are so new at DLR. I did not ask for a refund or anything - again, this was long after my trip ended and I very clearly told them that we ate the sandwiches anyway, even after realizing the mistakes.

Someone from the EoS corporate/customer service office wrote me back with an apology - and a thank you for letting them know about the errors at the DTD location - and asked for my address to send me a coupon for a free sandwich! So that's what I thought I was getting - a single coupon for a free sandwich, which would have been more than fair since I neither asked for nor expected anything.

Imagine my surprise when I opened up the EoS envelope in my mail a week or so later, only to find 4 coupons (they're like business cards, almost) for free sandwiches!!!! These are not "buy one, get one free" coupons. These are coupons/cards for totally free sandwiches, as an apology for the mistakes that were made on food that we ate anyway, a couple of weeks prior! That is excellent customer service, indeed, and they scored big points in my book for doing that! I was already an EoS fan to begin with, but with some exceptions, as I've explained here. This gesture only enhanced my opinion of EoS.

You can be sure that I will be using up those free Earl of Sandwich sandwich cards/coupons on my next trip!

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

So, overall, I give Earl of Sandwich a :thumbsup2, but with the advice to check your order before you leave the restaurant...and if there IS a problem that somehow can't be fixed while you are there, it can't hurt to drop a line to the corporate office via the website after the fact!

:cool1::cool1:

Sherry,

Thankyou for the concise breakdown with your Earl of Sandwich Experience--it's very helpful!

Also, I am especially grateful you let us know about your customer service interaction. They went above and beyond, and I so like knowing that!:thumbsup2

Sherry,

Thankyou for the concise breakdown with your Earl of Sandwich Experience--it's very helpful!

Also, I am especially grateful you let us know about your customer service interaction. They went above and beyond, and I so like knowing that!:thumbsup2

You're very welcome!:goodvibes No problem at all. I wanted to post a couple of days ago but didn't have the chance. I could have easily just popped in and said something quick but I wanted to give actual specific details and information because I think that the points are worth mentioning (like the fact that the menu board propped up outside next to the line doesn't show you the ingredients in the sandwiches, so you still have to look at the menu on the wall inside to figure out what to get -- unless you already know what you're getting before you arrive, that is!).

Yes, the post-trip customer service from the website was great and they definitely went above and beyond! The people working in the restaurant could have probably been a little more interested in knowing that mistakes were being made, but what they lacked in interest the Corporate folks made up for later on. I was very impressed. I would have recommended them even without that little "bonus" at the end, but that helped!:rotfl:

Of course, when I went to EoS in December I just chalked up the mistakes to EoS being new on the scene. At that point they had only been in DTD for one month, or just under one month, and I figured that because the employees in that location hadn't had a chance to get used to Disneyland Resort seasonal crowds, they were making mistakes and being careless when trying to keep up.

It's a bit disheartening to hear that EoS is still making some mistakes here and there - like putting tomatoes in wraps where there should be no tomatoes, as PHXscuba mentioned - more than 5 months after debuting, but I guess they are still within that window of time where they can be forgiven.:confused3 They should have everything fine-tuned and running like a well-oiled machine soon, though. How hard can it be to leave the tomatoes off of a wrap?:rotfl2:

Again, just be sure to check your orders before getting too far away from EoS to see if they're correct! Your Chinese Chicken Wrap could turn out to be a Mediterranean Wrap, or your Cannonballs! sandwich could be cheeseless! :rotfl2:

EOS is okay, yes it is better than Subway, ToGos and Quiznos, but that is a pretty low standard.

EOS's best feature is the low cost. They are the best value of any sandwich place I know.

For good sandwiches I like Jersey Mike's & Capriotti's better and in Anaheim, Marri's Pizza sandwiches better too.

Does anyone know if EOS still offers an AP discount? I know they did when they opened but I thought it was only for a few months.
Looking forward to eating there again next month! :yay:

Does anyone know if EOS still offers an AP discount? I know they did when they opened but I thought it was only for a few months.
Looking forward to eating there again next month! :yay:

They do. It's 10%. I think the 20% on Mondays and Tuesdays where just for March. If you have AAA it's better than AP. AAA is 15%

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

I guess I will be the odd man, or woman out

My DH and I tried EOS twice when we were there last Christmas, and quite frankly neither of us really enjoyed it.

The first time we both went for the seasonal special one, turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce. I found it not good, the stuffing was way to moist and turned the bread into a soggy mess, could only finish a quarter of it. DH had the same problem and his statement was that the turkey had no flavor.

But we thought, maybe it was just a one off bad day kinda thing, since EOS had gotten such good reviews we thought we would give it another chance.

We did, and the second time was not really much better, I got a club type of sandwich (sorry I do not remember the exact name) and again, did not enjoy it, the bread was fresh, but the flavors just did not work. Forget what DH had, but I do remember him saying it just okay.

Now I don't think I am a sandwich snob, but that is my honest opinion, I do not find them anything to rave over at this point. I am willing to give them another chance, since we will be back to DL in a week. Hopefully this time they hit it out of the park lol.

I guess I will be the odd man, or woman out

My DH and I tried EOS twice when we were there last Christmas, and quite frankly neither of us really enjoyed it.

The first time we both went for the seasonal special one, turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce. I found it not good, the stuffing was way to moist and turned the bread into a soggy mess, could only finish a quarter of it. DH had the same problem and his statement was that the turkey had no flavor.

But we thought, maybe it was just a one off bad day kinda thing, since EOS had gotten such good reviews we thought we would give it another chance.

We did, and the second time was not really much better, I got a club type of sandwich (sorry I do not remember the exact name) and again, did not enjoy it, the bread was fresh, but the flavors just did not work. Forget what DH had, but I do remember him saying it just okay.

Now I don't think I am a sandwich snob, but that is my honest opinion, I do not find them anything to rave over at this point. I am willing to give them another chance, since we will be back to DL in a week. Hopefully this time they hit it out of the park lol.

Hi, Virgoinab!:wave::wave:

I don't think you're the odd woman out at all! I pretty much agree with your points, although my long post on the previous page went over the Pros and the Cons that I observed/experienced.

The whole reason I was curious to try EoS in December was because I had read so many rave reviews about it. I told my friends that people were raving about this place and we should try it. But I know they were wondering why there was such a long line for a sandwich place, and I know they were secretly thinking "This had better be good"! :rotfl:

While my friends said that their sandwiches were tasty (even though one of their orders was the completely wrong sandwich), I could tell by their reactions that they didn't think EoS was anything to rave about. I think they thought it was good overall, but not great. I don't think they would wait in a line to eat there again, but I think they'd probably eat there if there were no line at all.

As for my sandwich choices...I only tried 2 types of sandwiches out of the 3 visits. I tried the Holiday sandwich, just as you did, because I had read great things about it. Fellow DIS'er funatdisney/Liza loves this sandwich. I chose to eat it in the morning, after it had been in the mini-refrigerator all night, and I have to admit that I was not blown away by it. It was okay. I thought the flavor of the stuffing overpowered the other ingredients in the sandwich - although I thought that maybe this was amplified by the fact that I let it get cold instead of eating it when it was warm. Cold stuffing is not the best...

Still, even though I knew the temperature probably made an impact on the flavor of the Holiday sandwich and that I should try it again when it is warm, I will again admit that I was not and am not eager to try another one just yet. I figure I will try the Holiday sandwich again in the future, sometime, but it's not at the top of my list.

My Cannonballs! meatball sandwich was good. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I think the sauce was a bit zingy or tangy or something. Maybe it was too salty? It was not the best meatball sandwich I've ever had -- that title goes to a counter service place that no longer exists, in the Original Farmers Market on Third & Fairfax here in L.A. -- but it was satisfactory, and I would order it again.

So I gave EoS a :thumbsup2 because I think it's a good addition to Disneyland Resort overall, both in price and quality - and in terms of convenience, for those of us who want to easily smuggle our sandwiches back to our hotel rooms without making a mess!:rotfl2: And...they handled my post-visit e-mail very well, which scores points with me!

But EoS definitely has some "Cons" to counter the "Pros," for sure. There are quite a few things they could improve in different areas. And I still don't think they live up to all the hype I'd read prior to eating there -- that hype made me ultimately think that EoS was a tad overrated, whereas if I had just wandered into EoS on my own, without any preconceived ideas, I probably would have been more impressed!

Hi, Virgoinab!:wave::wave:

I don't think you're the odd woman out at all! I pretty much agree with your points, although my long post on the previous page went over the Pros and the Cons that I observed/experienced.

The whole reason I was curious to try EoS in December was because I had read so many rave reviews about it. I told my friends that people were raving about this place and we should try it. But I know they were wondering why there was such a long line for a sandwich place, and I know they were secretly thinking "This had better be good"! :rotfl:

While my friends said that their sandwiches were tasty (even though one of their orders was the completely wrong sandwich), I could tell by their reactions that they didn't think EoS was anything to rave about. I think they thought it was good overall, but not great. I don't think they would wait in a line to eat there again, but I think they'd probably eat there if there were no line at all.

As for my sandwich choices...I only tried 2 types of sandwiches out of the 3 visits. I tried the Holiday sandwich, just as you did, because I had read great things about it. Fellow DIS'er funatdisney/Liza loves this sandwich. I chose to eat it in the morning, after it had been in the mini-refrigerator all night, and I have to admit that I was not blown away by it. It was okay. I thought the flavor of the stuffing overpowered the other ingredients in the sandwich - although I thought that maybe this was amplified by the fact that I let it get cold instead of eating it when it was warm. Cold stuffing is not the best...

Still, even though I knew the temperature probably made an impact on the flavor of the Holiday sandwich and that I should try it again when it is warm, I will again admit that I was not and am not eager to try another one just yet. I figure I will try the Holiday sandwich again in the future, sometime, but it's not at the top of my list.

My Cannonballs! meatball sandwich was good. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I think the sauce was a bit zingy or tangy or something. Maybe it was too salty? It was not the best meatball sandwich I've ever had -- that title goes to a counter service place that no longer exists, in the Original Farmers Market on Third & Fairfax here in L.A. -- but it was satisfactory, and I would order it again.

So I gave EoS a :thumbsup2 because I think it's a good addition to Disneyland Resort overall, both in price and quality - and in terms of convenience, for those of us who want to easily smuggle our sandwiches back to our hotel rooms without making a mess!:rotfl2: And...they handled my post-visit e-mail very well, which scores points with me!

But EoS definitely has some "Cons" to counter the "Pros," for sure. There are quite a few things they could improve in different areas. And I still don't think they live up to all the hype I'd read prior to eating there -- that hype made me ultimately think that EoS was a tad overrated, whereas if I had just wandered into EoS on my own, without any preconceived ideas, I probably would have been more impressed!

Hi Sherry !

Agree on the point about the stuffing, the flavor is very overpowering IMHO. I think that if I was to try it again, I would either ask for half the amount of stuffing, or before I try it scrape off most of it and leave just a small amount.

I remember you saying in your TR that while you found the cannonball good, you were not over the moon about it.

I am willing to try EOS again in a weeks time, but I will say that unless I find a more satisfying sandwich, I will most likely skip it in the future and just go over to Trader sams and have one of their delish asian chicken salads that I love so much. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter