Ear pain when flying

The one other thing I'll add that I haven't seen in this thread yet - ibuprofen. Ibuprofen not only might help take the edge off the pain, but it also brings down swelling so if there's anything in your ears that are swollen, it might help.

One of the earlier posters mentioned Benadryl and while I understand why, I would just caution those who are not familiar with Benadryl as it can also make you quite sleepy (if I take one of those a couple hours before bed, I'm OUT and sleep straight through the night). Benadryl may be just what you want, but if you're planning to hit the ground running after a flight, Benadryl probably is not something you want to put in your system.

The one other thing I'll add that I haven't seen in this thread yet - ibuprofen. Ibuprofen not only might help take the edge off the pain, but it also brings down swelling so if there's anything in your ears that are swollen, it might help.

One of the earlier posters mentioned Benadryl and while I understand why, I would just caution those who are not familiar with Benadryl as it can also make you quite sleepy (if I take one of those a couple hours before bed, I'm OUT and sleep straight through the night). Benadryl may be just what you want, but if you're planning to hit the ground running after a flight, Benadryl probably is not something you want to put in your system.
100% if I take a Benadryl I'm a groggy mess if I have to get up mid knock out session. Hah

I generally do the ol’ plug your nose and try to blow up an imaginary balloon.

But another technique is to rock the jaw side to side. Picture a cow chewing cud.

I do a tablet of children's Benadryl. It's 12.5mg instead of 25mg. It helps with the ears and doesn't knock you out.

Well I tried the Sudafed from behind the counter and Afrin and have to say it helped quite a bit. Hardly any pain, just a little plugged. So thanks to the people who mentioned using the right Sudafed, not the one you get off the shelf.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter