Ear pain on descent

set1208

Mouseketeer
My poor son was in agony with pain in his ears on descent and unfortunately we had two flights to get here yesterday. It was making him nauseous too. I had tears in my eyes watching him, I was massaging his head around his ears trying to relieve some pressure and he said that helped a little but not enough.

Is there anything I can get for him either here in WDW or back at MCO that will help prevent it on our flight home? I don't have a car so it has to be here or at the airport. He's 8.

Thank you!!

I have found chewing helps. The best thing I ever had was a cup of ice that I crunched on while descending. If that isn't available most people just use chewing gum as the chewing motion helps to unblock the ears better than just sucking on hard lollies (another solution). If the ears are seriously blocked due to a cold or something it might be worth trying a decongestant as well but I am not sure what is suitable for 8 year olds.

Teach him to equalize, similar to divers. Block both nostrils with your knuckles and slowly and carefully blow through your nose. He'll be able to feel when his ears "pop". The popping relieves a lot of the pressure.

Chewing gum and equalising the pressure as a pp explained works well for me.

My kids don't like gum (strange kids) but will suck on a lollipop or similar during take offs and landing to help with their ears.

I had that problem around that age and a flight attendant gave me lemon candy to suck on. She said something about the sourness helped more.

Drinking through a straw might help too. Especially something thick like a milkshake if flights are short enough.

Good luck! My first trip to disney I couldn't hear for the first day and a half!

I give my 4yr old Swedish Fish to chew on during decent as they are tough and really chewy.

Gummy bears worked well for us on our last flight. Definitely easy to find at the airport.

I have been in the same pain as your son. I cannot "pop" my ears, as a pp suggested, it doesn't work for me. It helps me to start chewing gum 45 mins to 1 hour before the plane is due to land. If our plane arrives at MCO at 11:00am, then I start chewing gum at 10 or 10:15am. And continue chewing until the plane is on the ground.

When we flew with our boys I had them use airplane earplugs which seemed to help. You can usually find them in any drugstore. I combined that with giving them tootsie pops and they didn't have any discomfort at all.

We had the same issue with my then 7 year old, it was awful :( I tried to calm her and remind her to swallow or chew. I think gum really does help. She was much more vocal about it hurting on the flight back...and unfortunately it was because I couldn't find the gum I had packed in my carry on for the flight back (she had chewed gum the flight there and while she complained it wasn't as bad). I think prep ahead of time helps, I am also sensitive to the feeling so I knew just what she was feeling and I can't blame her, if it were socially appropriate I would have been doing the same ;) I think you should prep him before the flight home. Tell him that he will feel that again, it's normal and lots of people experience it and explain to him the things he can do to help. What the pp said, chewing, swallowing, ect. I think snacks/gum are a good idea to grab before your flight home, just remember, no gum in WDW ;) but I am sure you can find it at the airport

If you can find them, Earplanes (they have kid versions too), are wonderful at helping elleviate the pressure changes. They're earplugs you wear for the ascent and decent. Although the instructions tell you it's best to keep them in the entire flight.

I had a permanent hole in my left eardrum from ear infections as a kid, and relied on them for business travel. They saved me a lot of pain and anguish. I'd think you should be able to find them at a airport store.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/earplanes-disposable-ear-plugs/ID=prod353009-product

I have found EarPlanes to work wonders. We've tried "Popping", drinking, chewing, lollipops, Sudafed... We've combined them... Still had a miserable amount of pressure and pain. But since we've started using EarPlanes, both my son and I are "cured".

The only draw back is that he likes to listen to music with his earbud headphones and can't because of the EarPlanes.

These are so helpful! Thank you. I like the idea of Swedish fish or gummies. I think I saw earplanes at our home airport. I'll check MCO.
Gummies and gum
Advil
Equalizing
Plugs
Chewing ice

Awesome!

We also swear by EarPlanes! They really do make a huge difference!

Turner's Drugs will deliver to Disney resorts. You could check online to see if they carry them, and just have them delivered to your resort. We've used them before for other needs and they were great.

Good luck!

I am going to check these out. I haven't flown in almost a year but that last trip.was terrible. I came down with a headcold 2 days before our trip. I took enough sudafed and cold medicine to knock out an elephant and sucked on lollipops. I didn't help. I cried and cried. 30 year old woman, surrounded by friends crying my eyes out on the plane. Poor DH felt so bad that therd was nothing he could do. After that trip, I am so afraid for our upcoming flight.

OP, just so you know, chewing gum may be hard to find. The last time I flew in my ears bothered me, so I wanted some on the way back. Disney of course does not sell gum onsite, and I want to say a couple of years ago I asked at the airport and they said they didn't sell either any. It may have changed, but if you feel like you can't find any this might be why.

This is exactly what happens to my DD16 every time she flies. These instructions are directly from her ENT doctor:

1. Take 1 Sudafed (12 hour) the night before (or 13 hours prior to) the flight. Take 1 more Sudafed one hour before take-off.

2. Use Afrin- Spray in each nostril while sitting on the runway waiting to take off. (I usually have her do this when the pilot tells the flight attendants to take their seats)

3. Buy Ear-Planes. Place them in your ears BEFORE the cabin doors are closed. Do not remove them until the cabin doors are opened after landing.

Continue to pop ears throughout the flight with gum or drinking.

This has helped my daughter tremendously over the past few years.

These are so helpful! Thank you. I like the idea of Swedish fish or gummies. I think I saw earplanes at our home airport. I'll check MCO.
Gummies and gum
Advil
Equalizing
Plugs
Chewing ice

Awesome!

AFRIN!! My ENT said to spray once in each nostril (kids and adults) about 1 hour before your flight is scheduled to land. We tried it and now we use it every time we fly. It makes a huge difference.

AFRIN!! My ENT said to spray once in each nostril (kids and adults) about 1 hour before your flight is scheduled to land. We tried it and now we use it every time we fly. It makes a huge difference.

Sorry didn't see previous post where this was mentioned already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter