• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

e-reader or tablet for the cruise?

Donna M

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking of getting one. Which would be better on the cruise and at WDW?

What do people do when they go in the pool, just cover it up?

What do you plan to use it for? I have a Kindle Paperwhite and I love it. It has an amazing screen for reading, and you won't have to worry about glare from the sun when using it outside. If you want to do more than read, you'll need a tablet or a combination eReader/tablet like a Kindle Fire or Nook HD. Internet speed is extremely slow on the ships, so we don't bother trying to go online. We take DH's iPad with us, but that's more so DD can play games and watch movies on the plane. Once we board the ship it goes in the safe until disembarkation day.

I bring my Nook (with glowlight, so I can read on the verandah at night/early morning) but we do not bring our tablets at all.

I have used my Nook at the pool, but I am usually just lounging and watching DD in the pool, if I go to sit on the edge, I just put it in my bag on my chair.

I'm thinking of getting one. Which would be better on the cruise and at WDW?

What do people do when they go in the pool, just cover it up?

I took my IPad found the Internet very good indeed on the Wonder very fast we had four devices running off the Internet all the time.

I wouldn't leave it by the pool as they can be damaged if they get too hot, and also broken by people moving around.

Give to someone who is not swimming or leave in room

On the Wonder recently we had free unlimited Internet due to being in the Walt and we really used it getting through a number of the highest packages The IPad was great as well as getting information on places were going to maps and weather, we could post on social media, and also take photos and videos.

I have an iPad w/ the Kindle App loaded on it and a Kindle. Using the iPad to read outside is so hard because of the glare on the screen. When I want to read outdoors I use my Kindle. I also have a Kyss Bag that can chained to a chair and locked shut. I use it all the time at the beach and water parks.

I don't have either one yet. I'm trying to decide which would be more useful for WDW and a cruise. Reading outside would be a big consideration, but I think I want to do more than just read.

I don't have either one yet. I'm trying to decide which would be more useful for WDW and a cruise. Reading outside would be a big consideration, but I think I want to do more than just read.

I have been very pleased with the IPad not just a PC but camera, video, note staker, had our schedule and private trips on it, easy to carry.

If you're leaning toward a tablet, consider the iPad mini. My DH has a full-sized iPad and I was given an iPad mini as a gift last year. We both prefer the mini as it's much lighter and can be held with one hand while reading. I occasionally read on my mini using the free Kindle app.

What do you plan to use it for? I have a Kindle Paperwhite and I love it. It has an amazing screen for reading, and you won't have to worry about glare from the sun when using it outside. If you want to do more than read, you'll need a tablet or a combination eReader/tablet like a Kindle Fire or Nook HD. Internet speed is extremely slow on the ships, so we don't bother trying to go online. We take DH's iPad with us, but that's more so DD can play games and watch movies on the plane. Once we board the ship it goes in the safe until disembarkation day.

Love, love, love my Paperwhite. It would be first choice over a tablet. I just like to read onboard and not surf the web and the as you know the Paperwhite is so easy to read in bright sunlight....unlike a tablet.

MJ

I adore my Nook SimpleTouch (with glow light), but I use it exclusively for reading. I have an IPad for other things, but it strains my eyes when I have to read on it. My Nook is easy to read on, and has a great battery. It does so much better in the sunlight than any type of tablet. I probably will not even have to bring my charger with me.
I also feel like I get a good value on ebooks through Barnes and Noble. They offer great specials and always have a new free book every month.

If I needed another ereader, but could not get a Nook, I would go with Amazon's Kindle. If you are a prime member, I think you get to borrow books for free, FYI.

Hope this helps!

I'm planning on bringing both my Nook Simple Touch and my iPad on the ship with me (mainly because I will bring it for the Disney World portion of my trip).

If you are planning on being outside by the pool or on deck, I would get either a Nook simple touch (which I see is now only $59) or a Kindle Paper White. As others have said, it can be difficult to read an iPad or a tablet with a color screen in the sun.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with leaving my iPad or tablet at my chair by the pool if I was going to take a dip. I would just worry that something would happen to it. It would be a lot easier to swallow if something happened to my $60 nook than my $500 iPad.

Also, whatever you wind up getting, make sure you check out Overdrive to see if your local library allows you to take out books for your device. I can take books out through both my local library and the Boston public library.

Add another vote for the iPad mini!

We use ours so often that I rarely go anywhere without it. We have iBooks, OverDrive (library e-books!), and the Kindle app on it for reading, plus the Disney Cruise app (for Navigators onboard), wifi (most ports have free wifi), calendar, contact information (sending postcards to friends), camera (I rarely use it, but my husband does), clock/timer/alarm and more. It's really worth it. If you buy a weatherproof case you don't have to worry about splashes of water, but I still wouldn't leave it on a pool chair.

Most people I know have switched from eReaders to iPad Minis. They are lighter and thinner than iPads but the screen is still large enough to watch movies on the plane, for instance, without squinting.

If you don't think you'll use any of the other features, or if you think it may get lost or damaged, opt for the cheaper e-reader.

Need to know the intended use to advise. I'd need to see a kyss bag in person, the web image I saw didn't impress, it looked kinda chintzy.

Ipad outdoors is about useless, windows tablet is always useless. Paperwhite is great in sun, but limited.

The Kyss bag isn't chintzy, IMO. It isn't super heavy duty, but that's not it's purpose. It's just a deterrent and makes it more difficult for someone to walk off with your bag. They would attract a lot of attention trying to break the chain or would have to walk off with my lounger attached. At the beach it's attached to my chair, beach tent and cooler.

I love my Nook HD. It obviously is great for reading, but it is also great for surfing the web, playing games, checking emails, FB, Pinterest, Dis, etc.

The Kyss bag isn't chintzy, IMO. It isn't super heavy duty, but that's not it's purpose. It's just a deterrent and makes it more difficult for someone to walk off with your bag. They would attract a lot of attention trying to break the chain or would have to walk off with my lounger attached. At the beach it's attached to my chair, beach tent and cooler.

Great Idea!.....I may have to get myself one.

I have an iPad but when it comes to reading outside or at the beach I always use my Kindle. It is the best for outdoor reading.

I have an iPad but when it comes to reading outside or at the beach I always use my Kindle. It is the best for outdoor reading.

Not the Kindle Fire though. The E-Ink of the paperwhite is excellent in sunlight, the LCD of the Fire or iPad etc. can feel nearly impossible to see in bright sunlight.

Love, love, love my Paperwhite. It would be first choice over a tablet. I just like to read onboard and not surf the web and the as you know the Paperwhite is so easy to read in bright sunlight....unlike a tablet.

MJ

I totally agree. I absolutely adore my Kindle Paperwhite and read by the pool with it all the time. When I go in the pool, I just put it into my bag that I always bring to the pool. I've used it on numerous cruises and never had a problem and wouldn't go on a cruise without it.

DW has a Kindle. I have a Nexus.

Both are great for reading.

For a trip the Kindle has an edge because it will go a month between charges. My Nexus will only go about 10 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter