E-mailing digital pics home from WDW?

JADEMM

Mouseketeer
Posting under theme park strategies I guess. We bought a digital camera and have found the smart cards expensive. Anyway, does anyone have a way at WDW (parks or hotels) to download their digital pics and E-mail them back home so you can delete your smart card and start again? You also could take some high quality picts that really use the MB's and send them back. Thanks for any input on this. And you thought you had problems.

I actually thought DH & I were unique in this, but he brought his laptop (has an iBook for work), and each day we downloaded the pics from the memory card to save on the laptop's hard drive. We ended up with over 250 shots for a five-day trip last December. We did pick up a (I think?) 128 mg card on sale, and that allowed as many pics as we could take in a day.

As it was right before Christmas, the Osborne Spectacle of Lights was up, and he just went nuts there - must have taken about 50 shots there alone.

The initial investment in the camera certainly does not make it cheap, but the savings and convenience thereafter is wonderful. Plus, I have a gorgeous sunset over the lake, taken from the window at the California Grill, as my computer desktop picture at work - Priceless!

We did not try to email; didn't bother with a net connection during the trip. There was plenty of space on the laptop to save them.

One warning - DH lost some pictures of AK and AKL because he thought the download was done when he cleared the memory - it wasn't. That was sad and a hard lesson learned, but it will never happen again to him. So be sure to check that you have all your shots saved before you clear the memory card!

Have fun!

JadeMM,

I bought TWO 32MB from 800.com for $55.84 (total). you may want to check there for some memory cards. Other people have also posted some sites they found good prices on mem cards at. I can't remember any of them offhand.

I am guessing that you do not have a laptop, so all I can think to do is go to Kinkos and see if they can read the memory cards and burn the files to a cdrom. I would advise against email them to yourself as the sizes of the images may fill up you mailbox size and then the emails would get bounced and you could lose the files.

Mike

You might also check with the Kodak place at JIYI. They might have the capability to write your images to CDROM as well...
Nothing beats a laptop though. With a free internet service provider like Net Zero, you can take you pictures and post them on the DIS all in the same day!

If you use the Sony Memory Stick, they might still be on sale at e-cost. I got 128MB for $65.

If all else fails, consider the digital wallet. There are two companies that make such products. One is iOmega and the other is Minds at Work. You can learn more about it here: http://www.mindsatwork.net/products.htm

Both can be purchased in several places, including amazon.com but iOmega's is very expensive. I bought my little Minds@Work digital wallet from a private supplier on ebay for less than $150.00. Now here is what you get: You download straight from your memory card into the wallet, no need to bring along a laptop. No need to worry about where you'll leave it because it is a small hard drive unit, weights only 6 ounces and fits right in your camera bag. What is even better about this is that it works on rechargeable batteries so you could bring it along and empty your memory card right in the parks! The smallest unit holds 3 Gb, That will store over 2,000 pictures! I think larger ones go up to 10 Gb and 20 Gb, so they are more expensive.

So I just bought one extra 32Mb card for my mini dv but I wish I'd known about the digital wallet before because I have not even had to use it. I fill the 8 Mb card that came with my unit and just empty everything into the digital wallet anytime. Then I come home and download the pictures into my HD. It connects to your USB port so it is plug and play too. Check it out.

Wanda

Thanks for the great ideas. Correct, I do not have a laptop. I like the conversion to CD at Kodak and the compact storage unit-checking into both. I did forget to mention I do plan to use the MOVIE MODE occassionaly which really fills the card quickly, so these ideas are great.

I am facing the same dilemma. I have trip in May scheduled. I'm going to buy another smartmedia card, but it still won't be enough. I found the best prices for them at www.newegg.com 64mg is about $26 shipped and 128mb is about $47 shipped. I would love to be able to store them on a cd. Anyone have more info on Kodak place? What is JIYI?

Richie

I am facing the same dilemma. I have trip in May scheduled. I'm going to buy another smartmedia card, but it still won't be enough. I found the best prices for them at www.newegg.com 64mg is about $26 shipped and 128mb is about $47 shipped. I would love to be able to store them on a cd. Anyone have more info on Kodak place? What is JIYI?
Another idea I had was to borrow a memory card from someone and just return it after the trip. But the one person I know that uses smartmedia only had the one card.

Richie

I would not rely on getting Kodak to put them on PhotoCD for you. If you do not have a laptop, I would buy as much storage as possible and go with that.

Also, think about what you will be using the pics for. Will you be emailing them to friends and posting them on a web page? Will you be printing them on a high-resolution printer? If you are just mailing them, you should be shooting with a lower resolution than if you plan on printing them.

We have an Olympus camera and we used a 64M Smartmedia card in November. Using the high quality setting (not the highest), we were able to get about 90 pictures on the card. When we wish to email the pics or post them on the web, we need to resize them to roughly 25% os the original size. If I shot with a lower resolution, I could probably get 200 pictures on the 64M card.

Another thing is that you need to review your pics (if your camera has an LCD) and delete pics that don't come out. THis will save precious space.

In November, we brought Holly's laptop. We would dump the pics from the card twice a day. We stayed a total of 9 nights and took over 1000 pics. This is not counting the 35mm camera (250 pics) and the camcorder. :)

That reminds me, I think we were going to get another Smart Media card... I am going to check some of these sites listed.

Ted

Outta business, toast. Now if you go to www.800.com it reroutes you to Circuit City's website. Bummer. We got some really good deals from 800.com before Christmas.

we had over 1200 pictures taken on our last disney trip!! All downloaded on our laptop.
It was great because every night you could do a slide show of the day.

we bought a sony viao from ubid.com and it is tiny and holds alot.

Just returned from a week and copied about 250 pictures (about 500MB) down to my new mindstor from Minds@work. Carried one extra memory stick with me in case one filled up at the park. Went back to the hotel each night and downloaded to the wallet. The newest generation comes in 5, 10, and 20 GB versions. Another plus occurs if you have different media from different devices. There are adapters available for multiple memory cards. You can then use the same unit to store pictures from different types of memory cards (memory stick, flash media, etc.).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter