E-Cigarettes/E-Liquids through airport security

2Tiggies

Near to Tigger's House
I hope this isn't an inappropriate place to ask this, but I'm risking being told off here rather than by the TSA :rotfl:

Do any of you on here use or know someone who uses e-cigarettes? The ones I get have a blunt tip needle for accurate dispensing and I'm not sure if this is going to cause issues even if I pack the bottles in checked luggage, so thought maybe I should order online to have shipped to my resort(?). Anyone with experience of bringing these on flights? I understand the TSA currently has no rules regarding these but I'm not that keen to incur unnecessary delays for extra checks if it can be avoided by better planning. I am also blindly assuming that I need to find out what the airport screening regulations are, rather than airline policy, since the airlines aren't the ones screening the bags.

Just a side note, I don't need to use them on the flight or at the airports so that's not part of my question.

DO NOT PUT YOUR BATTERIES INTO YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE.

turn them off and put them in your carry-on.

DO NOT PUT YOUR BATTERIES INTO YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE.

turn them off and put them in your carry-on.

Thank you. So if I have the liquids, sealed up in original packaging in my checked bag and the actual battery and clearomizer, dis assembled and turned off in my carry on, I should be ok? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I've never traveled with these before. This is a new 'habit' of mine.

I work at a vape shop, should be fine, tsa won't freak out if you have everything neatly organized in a case and open for examination like any other electronic. I recommend sealed liquid, not just for the tsa but for leaks and bursts up in air, plastic bags are your best friends. It's nothing illegal and the more afraid of showing it you are the more suspicious you look! :goodvibes I would not leave the batteries in checked in baggage, nor would I trust liquid not to pop and get everywhere in there as well. Now mods do tend to scare officials a little more... :lmao:

I work at a vape shop, should be fine, tsa won't freak out if you have everything neatly organized in a case and open for examination like any other electronic. I recommend sealed liquid, not just for the tsa but for leaks and bursts up in air, plastic bags are your best friends. It's nothing illegal and the more afraid of showing it you are the more suspicious you look! :goodvibes I would not leave the batteries in checked in baggage, nor would I trust liquid not to pop and get everywhere in there as well. Now mods do tend to scare officials a little more... :lmao:

Lol!
Thank you for that very helpful and reassuring information. I had intended packing my e juices, (new ones I'd order for travel, sealed and in their boxes) into checked bags only because of the blunt needle for filling. I thought that might be a problem with carry-on.

Although in some ways it's great that there are no official rules, it would be so much easier if all the airlines and security bodies would get on the same page and make it clear. These have been around for a few years now.

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to help. I really appreciate it. :thumbsup2

My husband works at a vape shop, and has flown four times with his gear. He packs the juice bottles in bubble wrap and puts them in a Tupperware container, along with a business card from the shop, in his checked luggage. The card is so TSA has some clue as to what the juice is, if they look. He also puts whatever miscellaneous stuff, except batteries, in his checked luggage.

He packs his batteries in a case in his carry-on, and also brings along one assembled e-cig, with a full tank. He just puts that in a bin at security, with his wallet and stuff. He hasn't had a single issue or problem on any of the four flights so far.

My husband works at a vape shop, and has flown four times with his gear. He packs the juice bottles in bubble wrap and puts them in a Tupperware container, along with a business card from the shop, in his checked luggage. The card is so TSA has some clue as to what the juice is, if they look. He also puts whatever miscellaneous stuff, except batteries, in his checked luggage.

He packs his batteries in a case in his carry-on, and also brings along one assembled e-cig, with a full tank. He just puts that in a bin at security, with his wallet and stuff. He hasn't had a single issue or problem on any of the four flights so far.

Thanks. I know I'm over thinking things - it's just all so new to me.

My e-juice bottles come in a little box with the list of ingredients on as well as on the bottle. So if I pack those together in a clear plastic box in checked luggage it will be easier to identify if they want to check? I don't get a business card as I order mine online so perhaps I should print out my receipt and put it in there. That's a good idea.

Does your DH not put his assembled e-cig into the liquid bag if he fills the tank? Mine is a very plain, typical CE4 system. I will want to take some spare clearomizers too.

We flew with our stuff in October, all in carryon.

Use ziploc (no bigger than quart size) baggies for juice bottles. I brought my needle tips on all my partially-used bottles, no problem. I would recommend that tanks are empty, though; had a mishap with one tank on the way back, and it was a mess! (For that matter, make sure the bottles are not all the way full, too, as there is no need to worry about them being factory-sealed.) Just be sure that anything with liquid in it is inside that quart-sized ziploc, and you'll be fine.

I also use an eyeglasses case for the batteries, and I use the rubber caps that come with new coils to cover the batteries' connector ends. I opened the case and put it in the bin with my shoes and iPad, but I don't think I really needed to do that...TSA knows what they are. But YES, as a PP indicated, do NOT put batteries in your checked bag.

You said you wouldn't have a tank filled at the airport, but for the benefit of anyone who might: put the partially-filled tank in the baggie with the juices. Once seated on the plane, take it out and keep it in your lap/shirt pocket/bag with the cap or coil slightly loosened...this will help avoid the pressure-caused leaks.

If this new habit is replacing a much unhealthier, smellier old habit...YAY YOU! :cool1: I put down my last smoke in July and never looked back. ::yes::

Does your DH not put his assembled e-cig into the liquid bag if he fills the tank? Mine is a very plain, typical CE4 system. I will want to take some spare clearomizers too.

Nope, he hasn't put it into a baggie at all. He just puts the whole assembled thing into the security bin. You could put the whole thing, or just the tank, into a baggie if you want to be super careful.

Everything else, except the batteries, goes into the checked luggage, just for simplicity. The juice bottles going into Tupperware containers is to provide extra protection in case the luggage gets crushed or something, and to contain any mess in case they leak.

Nope, he hasn't put it into a baggie at all. He just puts the whole assembled thing into the security bin. You could put the whole thing, or just the tank, into a baggie if you want to be super careful.

Everything else, except the batteries, goes into the checked luggage, just for simplicity. The juice bottles going into Tupperware containers is to provide extra protection in case the luggage gets crushed or something, and to contain any mess in case they leak.

Why is everyone so concerned about putting the batteries in the checked baggage? I never have but just wondering what the concern is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter