• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DW's friend bitten by copperhead this morning

At Six Flags several years ago, I was sitting on a bench when all of a sudden people near me started freaking out. There was a cute little harmless garter snake slithering underneath the bench. It was quite amusing watching people run away in terror. Sheesh, people. Yeah, I was startled for a second, but I just picked up the snake and carried it back into the wooded area behind the bench and released it. No need to beat its brains in with a shovel.

But I wouldn't be surprised if after I left the scene, some North Jersey or New York macho gumba went back and killed the poor thing.

Last edited:
The school where I teach is on the edge of the city. Behind the school is nothing but desert. We get snakes on the playground from time to time. Sometimes they are rattlesnakes and sometimes they are rat snakes. Once we had a Baby Diamondback Rattlesnake on the playground that the Rattlesnake Museum came out and captured for us. Typically we see the snakes right after school starts because the snakes come in from the mesa during the summer when no kids are around. They nest in the woodchips under the play equipment on the playground. :scared:

No matter how much we tell the kids to stay far back if the see a snake, it never fails that instead they all gather close to see it. Luckily no one has ever been bit!

I saw a huge snake in my backyard years ago while clearing some palm fronds. One of the fronds had poked through the side of my shoe, I looked down and saw the snake and thought it had bitten me!! I ran screaming inside the house while taking off my shoes and.... here's where it gets weird.... ripping off my clothes!! In my head, I must have believed the snake was on me, so the only logical thing to do was rip off all my clothes in the backyard.

There was a yard crew in the neighbor's yard at the time mowing and edging. They saw everything.

You had me giggling!! I'm glad it wasn't a real snake.

Wow, I am glad to here she is going to be O.K. and got medical attention right away. That is really scary. I hate snakes they spook me out. Even the ones that are not poisonous.

Oddly enough, snakes don't bother me at all. I have handled them (been trained to do so correctly), fed them, and studied them. They fascinate me.

I am also not trying to be snarky, but one thing is bothering me. Snakes are NOT poisonous (except for 2 types). They are venomous.

"Venomous snakes are often said to be poisonous, although this is not the correct term since venom and poison are different entities. Poisons are absorbed by the body, such as through skin or the digestive system, while venoms must first be introduced directly into tissues or the bloodstream (envenomated) by mechanical means. It is, for example, harmless to drink snake venom as long as there are no lacerations inside the mouth or digestive tract. The two exceptions are: the Rhabdophis keelback snakes secrete poison from glands they get from the poisonous toads they consume, and similarly, certain garter snakes from Oregon retain toxins in their livers from the newts they eat." (Yes, I know it is Wikipedia but it's the best worded)

Oddly enough, snakes don't bother me at all. I have handled them (been trained to do so correctly), fed them, and studied them. They fascinate me.

I am also not trying to be snarky, but one thing is bothering me. Snakes are NOT poisonous (except for 2 types). They are venomous.

"Venomous snakes are often said to be poisonous, although this is not the correct term since venom and poison are different entities. Poisons are absorbed by the body, such as through skin or the digestive system, while venoms must first be introduced directly into tissues or the bloodstream (envenomated) by mechanical means. It is, for example, harmless to drink snake venom as long as there are no lacerations inside the mouth or digestive tract. The two exceptions are: the Rhabdophis keelback snakes secrete poison from glands they get from the poisonous toads they consume, and similarly, certain garter snakes from Oregon retain toxins in their livers from the newts they eat." (Yes, I know it is Wikipedia but it's the best worded)

Very interesting! Thanks for those fun facts!

Very interesting! Thanks for those fun facts!
You're welcome... and thanks for taking it in the manner I meant. It's just one of those silly pet peeves that makes me twitch a bit lol. I figure though, nothing wrong with a little education!

My son was bitten on the leg when he was 9 years old. He was put in the hospital and monitored and also given antibiotics. His leg swelled up but his recovery was fast. His leg was sore for a couple of weeks though.They did not give anti-venom to him because we are told that it is often more dangerous than the bite itself. It is extremely rare to die from copperhead bites even if left untreated. The bite is painful though. We had several acres of pastureland that we owned surrounding our home and our black lab dog was bitten 3 or 4 different times by copperheads. Now my uncle has been bitten two different times by diamondback rattlesnakes on his ranch and recovered but his hospital stay was much longer than my son's and I know he was given anti-venom. Rattlers are much more dangerous than copperheads.

Here is a good article on the treatment of copperhead bites. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21463771

Last edited:
Yeah, so not clicking on that link.

LOL they're just garter snakes but I don't blame you. I've never been and the place is only an hour or so from me. Apparently they are EVERYWHERE and will slither over your feet if you are in their path. No thanks..

I grew up in the depths of South Louisiana next to a large bayou; I got WAY too acquainted with the habits of Cottonmouth Moccasins and rattlesnakes. I'm amazed that wasp spray will actually kill a snake, I would have thought that it would be more likely to just tick it off. Most snakes are not really aggressive if left alone, but stepping on it won't make it ignore you, and unfortunately, that's how most people first notice their presence. Crofab antivenin is expensive stuff (avg. is $4K/vial), and unless snake bites are fairly common in the area, a lot of hospitals won't bother stocking it just in case.

A chicken coop is a prime snake attraction; they really enjoy the eggs. Personally, there is no way I'd walk inside an occupied coop wearing sandals; and I say that as a person who is barefoot 90% of the time. AFAIC, working in a chicken coop is one of those chores that calls for rubber boots. (Of course, rubber boots that are stored outside are best stored upside-down -- they also make cozy snake condos when left upright.)

God, I am soooo happy I live in Central PA!! I have night-terrors about snakes, yet I've never seen an actual live one except for the zoo. Went hiking at a state park this past weekend and did a total of 18 miles over 3 days...never saw one single snake- thank God!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter