DVD to IPOD conversion - what do you use? is it free?

billwendy

DIS Veteran
Hi - just getting ready for a trip and wondering what you use to convert DVD''s to IPOD touch format....do you have something free? Also, how come sometimes when you open a DVD, it comes up as a bunch of files? and sometimes just 1?

Any ideas?? A Budget friendly version would be most appreciated!! Thanks!!

We used something called CuCusoft. It worked really well for the most part. We weren't able to convert 3 or 4 of our DVDs for some reason. They play fine but we could never get the whole thing to convert.

We bought an external hardrive to store them on. They take up quite a bit of space.

It was simple to use, but not free. I know there is a free one out there. (Handbrake??) We tried it but our computer at the time was older and the software never worked right. We ended up buying the CuCusoft. I can't remember how much it was. Sorry!

and search on handbrake. There is another program that I use with it first.

I sat and watched a bunch of teenagers show me how to do it. I tried 3-4 before I found one that worked for me.

If it is something you will use often you should buy a program. Handbrake takes a long time to upload (as long as the movie is usually) where a purchased program will take much less time.

Good to know -
I had down loaded AVEX before - but it was on my old computer - will they let you download it a 2nd time?

We use Handbrake, and have been very happy. It works flawlessly on our Mac...but I did have issues trying to work it on our regular PC. I think they have Handbrake lite out there, but we prefer the original. Just make sure you have the settings done to make it best for ipod viewing. There are often several different "chapters" to choose from, and you have to figure out which one is the real movie.

We have had problems trying to make this work with our Pixar movies! I wasn't able to get Toy Story 2 copied, and I know that's not the first.

We just move our copies onto a portable hard drive. It's so nice to be able to switch movies on ipods mid-trip (on our long car drives). We own all of the original movies, but it's becoming more and more difficult to have the kids decide on one movie to watch. This way, all four can watch their own thing...plus, me too:-).

Okay, first off this is illegal. Even if you copy your own, store bought DVD for your own personal use, it's still illegal to do. :mad:

That being said, the 2 most common ways to do this is to first use a free program called DVDShrink to copy the file from the DVD. Next you use Handbrake to convert the ripped file to the correct format for iPod.

To the FBI agents reading this thread, I do not advocate nor would I ever copy a dvd myself!! :rolleyes1 pirate:

Okay, first off this is illegal. Even if you copy your own, store bought DVD for your own personal use, it's still illegal to do. :mad:

That being said, the 2 most common ways to do this is to first use a free program called DVDShrink to copy the file from the DVD. Next you use Handbrake to convert the ripped file to the correct format for iPod.

To the FBI agents reading this thread, I do not advocate nor would I ever copy a dvd myself!! :rolleyes1 pirate:
:rotfl:

:rotfl:pirate::rotfl2:

Ok - at the risk of being arrested for watching the DVD files that I purchased on my iPod - we purchased and use DVDFab. :eek: I believe it was like $40 but it will convert files to iPod/PSP and other handheld devices. It also can get around the anti-pirating software they are putting on DVDs now. pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter