DVD players in Magic Cabins?

tikibirds

Mouseketeer
Are these available? If not, what have you used to play DVDs during your journeys onboard the Magic?

Thanks so much!

Sandy

Are these available? If not, what have you used to play DVDs during your journeys onboard the Magic?

Thanks so much!

Sandy

I don't think they will offer you a DVD player unless you are in a Royal Suite, or confined to your Stateroom due to contagious illness, but ssanders79 has posted the connections on the back of one of the TV's here:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=42895618&postcount=8

I think other's that don't want to try to connect to the TV have brought portable DVD players, iPads or laptops's to play DVD's thou.

I can't say if hooking up a DVD player to the TV has worked thou.

Ex Techie :)

DD has always used her laptop when she found this an essential part of the week. No, there are no DVD players in the non-concierge cabins.

We hooked up our iPad to the tv to watch movies...I would imagine you could hook up some portable DVD players, too.

From the DCL site:

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Weapons and firearms (including ammunition, knives—including dive knives—swords, daggers or any other types of weapons) are not allowed onboard under any circumstances
Realistic replicas of firearms and weapons
Highly flammable liquids and combustible substances
Non prescribed controlled substances, illegal drugs, medically prescribed and synthetic marijuana
Power Tools and Tool boxes (except those tools of the trade utilized by vendors providing services)
Sporting equipment (i.e., baseball and cricket bats, hockey and lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, fishing gear and archery equipment.)
SCUBA equipment (i.e., tanks, spears guns /slings, dive knives, pry bar, and underwater scooter)
Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats/pools (including pool noodles), and wagons
Bicycles, Segways, skateboards, inline & roller skates, any footwear with wheels, (i.e. Heely's type shoes)
Electrical appliances such as rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, electric irons, bottle sterilizer and bottle warmers, etc. Please note: A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services. Also all ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.
Candles & Incense
DVD, VCR, or Blu ray players or, Playstation, Xbox, and Nintendo Wii gaming systems are not allowed because of compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs
Musical instruments
Large Ice Coolers (Please note: small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12" x 12" x 12" brought onboard for the purpose of housing medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.)
Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable food items plus any open snack containers
Metal detectors are not allowed on the ship or on Castaway Cay, as any object found using thesedevices would need to be returned to the owner or donated to charity
Personal fireworks or pyrotechnics
Seasonal and celebratory lighting strings
Liquid oxygen

:cutie:

Would you mind sharing how to hook up the ipad? Thanks.

Apple has an HDMI adapter for the iPad, so we ran an HDMI cable from the tv to the adapter and then the adapter to the iPad. It's an easy setup and a great alternative to the Disney selection on the tv.

There are tons of movies you can get for free on your stateroom TV. Even some Disney TV shows. I honestly can't see the need for any additional movies than what you can get on your TV. You won't be spending your whole cruise watching movies will you?

There are tons of movies you can get for free on your stateroom TV. Even some Disney TV shows. I honestly can't see the need for any additional movies than what you can get on your TV. You won't be spending your whole cruise watching movies will you?

Does the Magic have on demand movies like the Dream? I didn't think the system had been upgraded, just the TV's but I could be wrong again!

I believe both the Magic and Wonder do not have the on demand. I know the Wonder doesn't.

Thanks, that was my understanding as well. Just a few movie channels, info channels plus what ever TV reception can be picked up. Not on the scale of the Dream's and now Fantasy's digital system.

From the DCL site:

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment for our Guests and crew, the following are examples of items that Guests are not allowed to bring on board. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Weapons and firearms (including ammunition, knives—including dive knives—swords, daggers or any other types of weapons) are not allowed onboard under any circumstances
Realistic replicas of firearms and weapons
Highly flammable liquids and combustible substances
Non prescribed controlled substances, illegal drugs, medically prescribed and synthetic marijuana
Power Tools and Tool boxes (except those tools of the trade utilized by vendors providing services)
Sporting equipment (i.e., baseball and cricket bats, hockey and lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, fishing gear and archery equipment.)
SCUBA equipment (i.e., tanks, spears guns /slings, dive knives, pry bar, and underwater scooter)
Kites, balloons, surfboards, wave boards, inflatable floats/pools (including pool noodles), and wagons
Bicycles, Segways, skateboards, inline & roller skates, any footwear with wheels, (i.e. Heely's type shoes)
Electrical appliances such as rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, electric irons, bottle sterilizer and bottle warmers, etc. Please note: A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services. Also all ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.
Candles & Incense
DVD, VCR, or Blu ray players or, Playstation, Xbox, and Nintendo Wii gaming systems are not allowed because of compatibility issues with the stateroom TVs
Musical instruments
Large Ice Coolers (Please note: small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12" x 12" x 12" brought onboard for the purpose of housing medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.)
Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable food items plus any open snack containers
Metal detectors are not allowed on the ship or on Castaway Cay, as any object found using thesedevices would need to be returned to the owner or donated to charity
Personal fireworks or pyrotechnics
Seasonal and celebratory lighting strings
Liquid oxygen

This so needs to be updated, since the new tvs dont have the compatibility issues. The old ones (non flat screen) did and you could not hook anything up.

I have hooked up my portable dvd player many times and left it in plain sight and no one said anything, or unplugged it or anything.

This so needs to be updated, since the new tvs dont have the compatibility issues. The old ones (non flat screen) did and you could not hook anything up.

I have hooked up my portable dvd player many times and left it in plain sight and no one said anything, or unplugged it or anything.

They probably don't want load's of guest's that "cant find the right input" call GS thou.

It doesn't matter if the TVs were changed, or not. DCL has this "do not bring" on their site, and it's up to them to make the rules they want.

CMs aren't going to say anything, because it might reflect in their tips. If if was a safety issue, they would say/do something (like if you have an iron in your room).

The magic definately did not have any type of on demand channel this summer and let me tell you after nearly two weeks those same movies were getting really old! I was so glad we had loaded the iPads up for the flights!

Why on earth are you watching movies in your room when you are on a CRUISE SHIP??? Baffles me, sorry. I've been on 3 DCL cruises, and I couldn't even begin to tell you how to turn the TV on, much less what channels there are to watch.
Go out and enjoy your vacation without the technology...read a book by the pool, MUCH more enjoyable!

Why on earth are you watching movies in your room when you are on a CRUISE SHIP??? Baffles me, sorry. I've been on 3 DCL cruises, and I couldn't even begin to tell you how to turn the TV on, much less what channels there are to watch.
Go out and enjoy your vacation without the technology...read a book by the pool, MUCH more enjoyable!

I have young kids and we are usually in the room for an afternoon rest/nap plus once they go to bed my husband and I would often close the curtain and watch some TV, not wanting to go to bed when they did. Plus we would try to get our older children to chill out for a bit with a movie especially when we would come back from being out all day we would try to do this before dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter