dvd player? any good deals?

mtemm

<font color=teal>Doubly blessed<br><font color=dar
my dvd player in our bedroom died and I would love to replace it if I can find a good enough deal. all the ads I have seen seem to focus on blue ray players, though. are dvd players a think of the past? or just not any deals on them?

anyone have any advice/tips/help?

thanks!

DVD players will likely become a thing of the past, but just like VCRs, they will be around for quite a while. With a small, standard def tv in a bedroom there's no reason to buy a blu-ray player. I saw one on buy.com the other day for $35--I think it might have been a Toshiba.:)

There are really two problems. First, yeah, DVDs are practically no one's concern anymore, so all the sales will be focused on what folks really want to buy in great numbers, i.e., Blu-ray Disc players. Second, this results not only in a dearth of special deals on DVD players, but worse, since they're worth so much less (as you can see above, you can get some for as little as $35!), the manufacturers have massively cost-reduced DVD players. There are essentially no "good" ones left. You can expect that these bargain basement units still available for sale have the least of concern paid to quality and reliability. That's not to say that they will absolutely fail, but rather that the likelihood of failure and of early mortality is much higher than just a few years ago.

The same thing happened with VCRs. There came a time after which practically all VCRs available for sale were essentially crap -- again not that they all failed quickly, but rather that the likelihood of failure and of early mortality was much higher than just a few years before. And in that case, the replacement (DVD players) didn't even serve both purposes of a VCR (recording, as well as playback), and the replacement required you to replace all your media -- all your VHS tapes -- too. I think we can assume it will be even worse with this transition, since essentially Blu-ray Disc players completely replace the need for DVD players, and you don't have to replace any of your DVDs -- they'll work fine on Blu-ray Disc players.

So buy DVD players, these days, with care, and with the minimal expectations. Read the specifications and the warranty information very carefully, and make no assumptions that the units will work any better that the specifications say they'll work, and make no assumptions that the units will work any longer than the warranty promises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter