DVCM Email today

Understand that does make sense and it was right after the email came. I’ll wait it out and maybe see if they clarify in the next couple of weeks or call when things settle down.

Understand that does make sense and it was right after the email came. I’ll wait it out and maybe see if they clarify in the next couple of weeks or call when things settle down.

If you have 2019 points and they cancel you, I definitely think those will be allowed to be moved, At least the email reads that way.

Now, if you had the 2018, then I’d definitely try to find that out sooner rather than later.

Of course, even if they extend, it won’t be until after they expire, will be valid only by calling. So, Aug UY wouldn’t even begin to have access to them until first week of August

Plus, if someone canceled a reservstion prior to Feb 29 with banked points from April or June, they are not getting the extension,

So, I would say that a reservation using them has to be canceled, and the the points expired, before it happens, if they follow the process for April and June.

Yes, I do, They specifically mention the late banking, but do not include the extension for banked points.

Id venture to guess you got wrong information from the CM about banked points. They may not have really been thinking about it when they said it,

It just seems that if they were going to extend all UYs with banked 2018 points, they would have added that to

ETA: if you called just after email, it is possible CMs were still being updated to what would be happening. I had a CM tell me once that I could transfer and use Poijts in a certain way, and then when she tried to do it, it wouldn’t work. So, they do make mistakes.

ETA2: it just doesn’t seem they can extend them all because no matter who gets extended, they’d jump ahead of the others, They have to draw a line in the sand, Now, I do think Aug UY has a chance if resorts don’t open up by July 1st.

Just so I understand right, my 200 aug use year points used on my May 22 booking, if they cancel that trip bc they are closed then they will allow me to late bank those (2019 Aug use year). I’m referring to this line in the notice:
  • Members with later Use Years should follow normal banking guidelines to bank their current Use Year Vacation Points. If a reservation was cancelled due to the Resort closure after the Member’s banking window, an exception will be made to bank the allotted Points associated with that reservation.

If you have 2019 points and they cancel you, I definitely think those will be allowed to be moved, At least the email reads that way.

Now, if you had the 2018, then I’d definitely try to find that out sooner rather than later.

Of course, even if they extend, it won’t be until after they expire, will be valid only by calling. So, Aug UY wouldn’t even begin to have access to them until first week of August

Plus, if someone canceled a reservstion prior to Feb 29 with banked points from April or June, they are not getting the extension,

So, I would say that a reservation using them has to be canceled, and the the points expired, before it happens, if they follow the process for April and June.

ok thank you for breaking it down Sandi, that sounds right!

Just so I understand right, my 200 aug use year points used on my May 22 booking, if they cancel that trip bc they are closed then they will allow me to late bank those (2019 Aug use year). I’m referring to this line in the notice:
  • Members with later Use Years should follow normal banking guidelines to bank their current Use Year Vacation Points. If a reservation was cancelled due to the Resort closure after the Member’s banking window, an exception will be made to bank the allotted Points associated with that reservation.

That is how I'd also interpret the statement - that the banking deadline will be extended if that happens. I don't see anything that addresses points that were already banked. However it would be difficult to justify giving the 6 months to 2 UY's and not subsequent ones that end up also being affected. That's just a guess though and not anything I get from their statement.

ETA2: it just doesn’t seem they can extend them all because no matter who gets extended, they’d jump ahead of the others, They have to draw a line in the sand, Now, I do think Aug UY has a chance if resorts don’t open up by July 1st.
A as I mentioned in another thread (see link below), I think the right thing to do to avoid an earlier UY "leapfrogging" a later UY with regard to the expiration of previously banked points is:

"I think they should update the policy to say 2018 banked points will be extended by 6 months, or until 11/30/ 20, whichever is earlier."

That way no UY would "jump ahead of the others." and they still have their "line in the sand"

It does not seem right that an earlier UY is allowed to "leapfrog" a later use year with regard to expiration dates of 2018 borrowed points.

In addition to the April UYs getting to book through 9/30 as you mentioned, June UYs get to book through 11/30. That means June has been allowed to leapfrog three later UYs. (August UY only get until 7/31, September UY only get until 8/31, and October UY only get until 9/30.)

I think DVC may still make another exception. I do not think they will necessarily extend 2018 banked points for Aug, Sept, & Oct by 6 months, but I think they should update the policy to say 2018 banked points will be extended by 6 months, or until 11/30/ 20, whichever is earlier.

ETA: Aug UY might complain why do June UYs get a 6 month extension, and we only get 4 months. Sept UY might complain why do June UY get a 6 month extension, Aug UY get 4 months and we only get 3 months. (Etc. for October UY who would only get a 2 month extension)
However, as long as the earlier UYs do not have their 2018 banked points extended further out than later UYs I think that is a minor issue.

Last edited:
A as I mentioned in another thread (see link below), I think the right thing to do to avoid an earlier UY "leapfrogging" a later UY with regard to the expiration of previously banked points is:

"I think they should update the policy to say 2018 banked points will be extended by 6 months, or until 11/30/ 20, whichever is earlier."

That way no UY would "jump ahead of the others." and they still have their "line in the sand"

That would be a possibility for sure, but it would have to be for only canceled reservations.

. If the follow the same pattern though, the Aug UY 2)018 points, if freed up from a canceled reservation wouldn’t be available for booking until after the UY began, so you’d have to wait to use them after Aug 1st, and call in...that’s the current policy for April and June.

June UYs can’t call to use the extended points from what is being reported until after they officially expire.

Do you think many would still think it was worth it?

Do you think many would still think it was worth it?
I do not know what about others, but it would be worth I to me. II have a May reservation with banked points and I am sure it will be canceled, so those points would qualify for the extension if they update the policy to what I suggested in my previous post.

I may book a November 2020 reservation with Aug UY 2019 banked points and/or 2020 current year points, and then if they extend the expiration of 2018 banked points to 11/30/20, I will call MS and ask them use those extended expiration points for that reservation.

I do not know what about others, but it would be worth I to me.
I may book a November 2020 reservation with Aug UY 2019 banked points and/or 2020 current year points, and then if they extend the expiration of 2018 banked points to 11/30/20, I will call MS to have them use those extended expiration points for that reservation.

It would help your situation out. Those Sept and Oct UYs probably wouldn’t get much benefit because once resorts open, I doubt they will waive holding anymore so swapping out points within 31 days would leave the freed up ones in holding.

But, hey, you never know.

It would help your situation out. Those Sept and Oct UYs probably wouldn’t get much benefit because once resorts open, I doubt they will waive holding anymore so swapping out points within 31 days would leave the freed up ones in holding.

But, hey, you never know.
I do not think that is correct. If an Oct UY had a November reservation using current year points, and on Oct 1st they had extended previously banked points added back to their account, they could call MS to have those extended banked points used instead of the current year points for that November reservation. I do not think the current UY points would go into holding since the reservation was not cancelled.

I do not think that is correct. If an Oct UY had a November reservation using current year points, and on Oct 1st they had extended previously banked points added back to their account, they could call MS to have those extended banked points used instead of the current year points for that November reservation. I do not think the current UY points would go into holding since the reservation was not cancelled.

They do, It happened to me last year. I reallocated some of my points from a canceled night and was within 31 days of the trip and the points go into holding,

Called immediately and explained what I did and there was nothing to be done, I was fortunate to be able to use them for a future reservation but it stinks,

So, holding applies even for reallocation because you are technically modifying a reservation

It is the reason why you never set a waitlist to less than 31 if it uses less points...the freed up point become holding points. It doesn’t have to be from a cancel.

So, holding applies even for reallocation because you are technically modifying a reservation
Thanks, that is great to know. I knew the rule about holding points with regard to modifying a reservation, but I did not know that reallocating points would count as a modification.

if you had a trip booked during the closure and have Aug use year points that missed banking they are allowing you the extension as well. We have a May 22 trip booked with 200 aug use year points.
Sadly, most of my points were in Holding due to a lot of changes in a December 2019 reservation. Sometimes, getting family on the same page for a holiday is too much like herding cats. And, I am a lousy herder. :) A last minute cancellation created a major headache and the dreaded Holding Points.

Same for us. Our use year is October so we always borrow. We figured we didn't want to be in a pinch the last year with only 4 months to spend our last years points. We had a big trip planned to Aulani for September 2021 that includes borrowed 2020 points. We wont be able to go without borrowing.

Did you mean borrowed 2021 points? Because Sept 2021 is already part of your 2020 October use year.

It's always possible it will turn around by then. Don't give up hope. Lots of people such as myself will bank their 2020 October use year points after canceling fall of 2020 and early 2021 vacations made with 2020 points, meaning that borrowing out of 2021 into 2020 may look more plausible as time goes on. I doubt I will return to the parks before fall of 2021 and that would be after October 1st for me.

I am confused. I have to use my points by Aug. 30. I had a 64-point reservation in March that was cancelled, but it wouldn't let me bank those even though my window was open until April something.😬 Yet this reads as though I could have banked them. What am I missing?

I am confused. I have to use my points by Aug. 30. I had a 64-point reservation in March that was cancelled, but it wouldn't let me bank those even though my window was open until April something.😬 Yet this reads as though I could have banked them. What am I missing?

Are you sure the points are Sept 2019 points? If they are borrowed, DVC has to return them for you,

If already banked, they can’t be banked again, if they are indeed 2019 UY points, then give them a call because the banking dealing for Sept UY is indeed this week, and it must be a glitch.

Are you sure the points are Sept 2019 points? If they are borrowed, DVC has to return them for you,

If already banked, they can’t be banked again, if they are indeed 2019 UY points, then give them a call because the banking dealing for Sept UY is indeed this week, and it must be a glitch.
Thank you, Sandi. I will try to get them on the phone. I had already used points this use year, so figured the banked points would get used first. Am I incorrect in that?

Cindi

Thank you, Sandi. I will try to get them on the phone. I had already used points this use year, so figured the banked points would get used first. Am I incorrect in that?

Cindi

They only get used first if they are put in the reservation that way. So, if you had them as banked points when you made the reservation, they should have pulled those first,

If you banked after the first reservation, then you would have to reallocate points before travel to have them put in to that reservation,

If your account t is showing banked points, and not 2019 UY, then you are going to be stuck because once a reservstion is over, they can’t retroactively apply points.

I do not know what about others, but it would be worth I to me. II have a May reservation with banked points and I am sure it will be canceled, so those points would qualify for the extension if they update the policy to what I suggested in my previous post.

I may book a November 2020 reservation with Aug UY 2019 banked points and/or 2020 current year points, and then if they extend the expiration of 2018 banked points to 11/30/20, I will call MS and ask them use those extended expiration points for that reservation.

This is my plan as well, I have Thanksgiving week reservations and if my banked August 2018 points are extended, I’ll see if I can get those points applied to that reservation.

That’s about the best I can do at this point (currently applies to a late June reservation).

Does anyone know if they will still be selling one-time points under the new policies? with the borrow limits, I will need a few more points for an upcoming reservation I will be making for 2021

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter