DVCers...would you drive?

supersuperwendy

any happy little thought?
I posted recently about my friend cancelling the reservation I made for her. I've been thinking about using the points myself, but it's so soon and the airfare is sky high. I might be able to move the dates to the end of this month. I told my husband I would drive and he thinks I'm insane! Would you drive 4 kids by yourself from Philly to WDW alone for a 3 night/4 day visit????

I wouldn't. I won't drive my 2 teen/preteen boys to Disney by myself, and we are in Atlanta (only a 7 hour drive). Too many things can go wrong on the drive. I always see so many people broken down on the side of 75 south, and always wonder what I would do if I were by myself. Also, for that short of a trip, you would be inside the car more than outside on vacation.

We drive it in one day from just outside Philly. I'd probably do it, but I'd stay somewhere cheap the first night to unwind, not "waste" a day on arriving recovery -- and add a bit more time before I have to turn around!

There's some good AP rates at POP right now...

I drove Christmas 2009 with DD 3.5 and DS 18 alone from York, PA. I was grateful that DS 18 was with me. I don't know how I would have felt doing it without an older child. Also we made sure to stop for the night on the way down. I think it all depends on the ages of your children. As well as the car you are driving. Mine had a new engine and I knew a mechanic in GA in case there was a problem so I felt comfortable. But that being said I wouldn't if it was an older car or I didn't know someone who could help on the way down.

I wouldn't do it by myself because of the ages of the children. If I had a friend or relative to go with me, then I would.

So many people here talk about their luck with good airfares. We've not been that lucky, I wish you could be.

Bobbi:goodvibes

No need to worry about it now. I was able to find a renter..whew!

I would like to drive at some point when we are not rushed for time! Does the Florida welcome center still give out orange juice?

Yes they do. We made it a priority each trip

I posted recently about my friend cancelling the reservation I made for her. I've been thinking about using the points myself, but it's so soon and the airfare is sky high. I might be able to move the dates to the end of this month. I told my husband I would drive and he thinks I'm insane! Would you drive 4 kids by yourself from Philly to WDW alone for a 3 night/4 day visit????

I would, but it depends on how much you can drive. When we drive, approximately 18.5 hours, I drive the first 12-14 hours before I hand over the wheel.

I would not... but I believe that most of my decision is because of my children.. They are still young, and my 3 year old is difficult.. If she were different, I may have a different view point. My DB just drove down last year from Rhode Island with 3 children, a 12 year old, a 5 year old and a 2 year old and he did fine.. My family would have not.

I would drive it if my points were going to waste. I drove my younger two children and myself this summer. It was a long drive by myself but I had a "copilot." His job was to stay awake and help me out on occasion. Thankfully I had my cell phone to help with that and he was able to nap and sleep while I talked to various friends and family. It was hard, but I would do it again. The plus side for me though was we stayed from June 1-June 17. It was quite the trip!

We drive from Boston every year (and once a year to HHI). So I would say go for it. We have done it many times with DS and friend when he was younger..had dvd and game systems in the car. adults listen to books on dvd and this continues with the adults alone trips now. We have changed route from Boston for last 2 years and do the inland route to avoid NYC and Washington and hit 95 in SC..its the greatest on time..never do 95 again. We also love having our car in WDW.

Connears

I drove alone with a 5 yr old and a 9yr old to NH. We managed 10 hours the first day, another 10 the second day to my moms in CT where i crashed onto her couch with what turned out to be antibiotic resistant strep throat. Drove the last 3 hours home later that week. The kids were fabulous and we had a really good time up until i started to feel sick half way through day 2. I would do it again. The kids and i still laugh about the trip.

glad you found a renter but it sounds like something i would have done! i flew solo with my 3 and 6 year old boys, did a week at WDW, then drove from WDW to Alabama with them, hung out w/ my family there for a week and then few home with them. two weeks with no husband and the boys and i had a great time!

If airfares are high, I'd definitely drive if I had a reasonably dependable car. May join an auto club in case you have a problem. Cars break down on the way to work too.

We've done the drive many times as a family of four, and we live just a little further north than Philly. We usually do it on one day, but have stayed over many times in the Florence area.
We started driving with our kids when they were 3 and 8; I think it worked better when they were younger, lol! Now they are 21 and 26 and don't necessarily travel down with us anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter