DVC with DDP

ktate82

DIS Veteran
We are new DVC members and going for our first trip in Sept to the AKL. Super excited about that one bedroom! I have the prices of the DDP for our trip, and we are debating that vs our TIW card. If we add the DDP to our trip, when does that have to be paid for? When we book it, 45 days before (like previous packages we had), or when we get there? How soon before our trip do we have to book it? Thanks!

With DVC, you can add a dining plan any time up to 2 days prior to arrival. You pay for the dining plan at the time you add it to the room reservation. You have to get the plan for all persons (age 3 and older) listed on the room reservation for all nights of the reservation.

what erin said:), and unlike DRC DDP packages, you do not need to buy passes with DVC (AP holders as well).
but....if you already have a TIW card, why pay for the DDP? TIW includes alcohol at many venues, and imho, the DDP usually requires ordering the most expensive menu items to save just a few $'s. there are also some restaurant discounts with DVC.
try checking the menus, adding up what you would normally order - i think you might find yourselves better off just using the TIW:).

and lest i forget;):
congrats and welcome home!!
:welcome:

There is a detailed DDP calculator that you can use to determine if the DDP is worth it. Takes into account TIW. Takes about 30 minutes to enter your planned ADR for a week and you get your total cost for DDP vs out of pocket ( both with and without TIW). I found for my situation that out of pocket with TIW made the best financial sense. I found the link on the touring plans app. I'll see if I can repost it.

I have a family of six, but my DS was only two at the time, and so our DDP would have only been for 5. For us the TIW card was a better deal. I used the calculator on the website to figure it all out. I also like that I am not tied to eating out with TIW. A few nights I just like to do a quick dinner like pasta in the room, rather than taking time on an ADR. With DDP , i personally would feel pressure to use it every night. The TIW card quickly paid for itself. Another benefit is that DS 8, could order what he wanted rather than only from the kids menu. My favorite benefit of TIW is that it is good for more than 12 months. So our card we bought last summer and used on our ten day trip, will be the one we use this trip in August for another 8 day trip.

My favorite benefit of TIW is that it is good for more than 12 months. So our card we bought last summer and used on our ten day trip, will be the one we use this trip in August for another 8 day trip.
Some have not been getting that benefit recently.

what erin said:), and unlike DRC DDP packages, you do not need to buy passes with DVC (AP holders as well).
but....if you already have a TIW card, why pay for the DDP? TIW includes alcohol at many venues, and imho, the DDP usually requires ordering the most expensive menu items to save just a few $'s. there are also some restaurant discounts with DVC.
try checking the menus, adding up what you would normally order - i think you might find yourselves better off just using the TIW:).

and lest i forget;):
congrats and welcome home!!
:welcome:

Thanks!:thumbsup2

So after using the worksheet, seems the TIW (since we already have it), saves between $69-100, but I feel that will be much more savings since we will be able to order what we want. DBF and I used it when we went in May, and I know it saved us money, but was just unsure about it with the kids.

Some have not been getting that benefit recently.

My card is 12 months and extended to the end of the month I purchased it in. Even so, it would still be good for twelve months from the date of purchase, and maybe you could fit in at least two trips.

I just read this on the TIW web page. I had no idea you could use both DDP and TIW. Could be something to consider if you were able to go when free dining is offered, since you already have TIW card.
From the TIW website:
If you are on a Disney Dining Plan, you may still use the Tables in Wonderland discount on any food or beverage items that are purchased, above and beyond what the Disney Dining Plan covers. For example, if you are dining on the Disney Dining Plan, and you order a bottle of wine, you will be presented with a check for the bottle of wine, at which time you may use your Tables in Wonderland discount.

I just read this on the TIW web page. I had no idea you could use both DDP and TIW. Could be something to consider if you were able to go when free dining is offered, since you already have TIW card.
From the TIW website:
If you are on a Disney Dining Plan, you may still use the Tables in Wonderland discount on any food or beverage items that are purchased, above and beyond what the Disney Dining Plan covers. For example, if you are dining on the Disney Dining Plan, and you order a bottle of wine, you will be presented with a check for the bottle of wine, at which time you may use your Tables in Wonderland discount.

But we don't get free dining if we book with DVC points right?

My card is 12 months and extended to the end of the month I purchased it in. Even so, it would still be good for twelve months from the date of purchase, and maybe you could fit in at least two trips.
Historically one has tended to get 13 plus months out of it (end of the month next month) but there have been several reports recently of people getting cards that were exactly 12 months from the purchase date. It might matter for some, not for others.

From the TIW website:
For most it's likely not financially feasible to do both but for some it is. The same is true for other discounts like DVC or Pass discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter