• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC.......Wilderness Lodge versus Contemporary?

Which DVC is your favorite?

• Wilderness Lodge

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • Contemporary

Votes: 9 22.0%

• Total voters

Paranurse

Earning My Ears
Our son's marching band will be marching in parade at Magic Kingdom in April 2024. We always rent DVC points. We would like everyone's opinion on Wilderness Lodge versus Contemporary.
Just for context, we live at the base of the Appalachian Mountains in North Georgia, so we would feel right at home at Wilderness Lodge versus we like the transportation options offered by the Contemporary.
We will be staying at the Polynesian in January 2024 on DVC points also.
Many thanks in advance!
Chris and Bree

I didn't think about the buses. That will be a big factor!
Thank you so much for reminding us!

The bus service at WL isn't that bad and I think they have the boat from WL to MK running again. Contemporary location is great for transportation (though I personally think that the monorail isn't that efficient), but we just found it to be meh. Though I do think that BLT is much nicer than the main building which we found excessively noisy with sloooooooooow elevators. We particularly like Geyser Point and the seating area down by the water, the atmosphere, the little trails, and the two pools. But the Contemporary does have Steakhouse 71 and the Outer Rim which we enjoyed (bit noisy from Chef Mickey and Contempo Cafe but it's toned down a bit by being tucked in the corner).

If you are spending more time going to the parks or other locations, I'd do Contemporary. It's walking distance to the bus stop at MK which gives you access to all of the buses going to other resorts. If you plan to spend time at the resort, I'd say WL due to the environment and atmosphere.

I don't think we will be there but maybe 5 days. I think we will hit Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Disney Springs. Possibly split a day between Animal Kingdom and Hollywood.
But your posting did give us more insight to think about!
Many thanks!
Chris and Bree

If you are spending more time going to the parks or other locations, I'd do Contemporary. It's walking distance to the bus stop at MK which gives you access to all of the buses going to other resorts. If you plan to spend time at the resort, I'd say WL due to the environment and atmosphere.

This.

What is more important to you this trip: time spent at the hotel, or ease of transportation to/from the hotel?

If you don't have a car at Wilderness Lodge, you can't get anywhere quickly except MK (unless you pay for Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van). Even if you're at the hotel and you just want a snack, and the hotel doesn't have anything you feel like eating, it's a pain in the neck to get anywhere from Wilderness Lodge.

At the Contemporary, you can use the monorail to get to other hotels. You can walk to MK.

I’m not a fan of the Incredibles themeing at the CR, it’s made it a no for me.
Luckily this is limited to the Contemporary building rooms for now. BLT is on the refurbishment schedule for 2024 though and we haven't seen the room designs yet so it may come across the bridge.

Luckily this is limited to the Contemporary building rooms for now. BLT is on the refurbishment schedule for 2024 though and we haven't seen the room designs yet so it may come across the bridge.
Duh, I wasn’t thinking BLT! Of course you are both right! Hopefully no Incredibles whenits refurbished.

Cooper Creek is our home resort and we love Wilderness Lodge, but there is nothing like the ease of getting to walk to/from MK while staying at Bay Lake. I love the monorail, but the trek to EPCOT can seem like it takes forever, especially coming back when you have to ride the full monorail loop.

We stayed at WL twice and I’ve never had any issues with buses.

I actually am not a huge fan of the monorail from the resorts to Epcot. I find it tedious with having to switch and I’ve ended up waiting a bit. So I don’t really consider it such a plus. But that’s just me

We own at Copper Creek. Never had bus issues either. Love the boat to MK.

Myself, I would not stay at BLT until it is refurbished. I'm waiting for that to fully experience. I do love the walking path to MK, but really that's the only draw for transportation. You need a bus for HS and AK.
I've had issues with the monorail just going around to resorts for fun.

I just don't think you can make the decision only on transportation. That's always iffy. I would look at room layouts and if you want to spend time at resorts. I'd rather spend time at WL with Geyser Point and the pools.

WL is beautiful and we enjoy staying there. BLT is our home resort and we love it! The 1BR units have two full bathrooms. That's important for our family (not sure about yours). We also love the walk to MK. It's great after the fireworks when everyone is waiting for transportation!

We stayed at WL twice and I’ve never had any issues with buses.

I actually am not a huge fan of the monorail from the resorts to Epcot. I find it tedious with having to switch and I’ve ended up waiting a bit. So I don’t really consider it such a plus. But that’s just me
It's not just you. I think monorail is highly overrated in regards to Epcot transportation. I'd rather just get on a bus.

Our son's marching band will be marching in parade at Magic Kingdom in April 2024. We always rent DVC points. We would like everyone's opinion on Wilderness Lodge versus Contemporary.
Just for context, we live at the base of the Appalachian Mountains in North Georgia, so we would feel right at home at Wilderness Lodge versus we like the transportation options offered by the Contemporary.
We will be staying at the Polynesian in January 2024 on DVC points also.
Many thanks in advance!
Chris and Bree
I would choose Wilderness Lodge (Boulder Ridge Villas or Copper Creek Villas). Really nice, great theming, buses and boats for transportation. BLT's (Contemporary) main advantage is walking to MK and monorail to EPCOT. Wilderness Lodge options are also probably less expensive then Contemporary options ($ or points).

It's not just you. I think monorail is highly overrated in regards to Epcot transportation. I'd rather just get on a bus.
I agree with this as well regarding the monorail at Contemporary. Going to EPCOT you have to ride the resort monorail to TTC and then transfer to the EPCOT monorail. The process is not very efficient and probably takes longer than a bus from other resorts.

Monorail from Contemporary to MK is also a bit of a pain because you have to ride the entire resort loop. Most people walk though so this isn't as big of an issue.

We like the compact size of BLT and the walk to MK is so convenient or hopping a monorail/boat to the other monorail resorts. We always have a rental and also like the close parking since we drive everywhere except MK. Also, depending on the make up of your party, the extra bathroom at BLT is PRICELESS.

I really enjoyed our room at Copper Creek. It was gorgeous and spacious. The boat to the MK is nice. I did not like the SUPER long walks to our room (and the twisty/turny hallway) or the distance to the car in the parking lot. If you aren't all in on the food options there, it is not convenient to get elsewhere.

My family is go-go-go so BLT fits us better. But I totally would do Copper Creek again if/when we have a more laid back trip.

If you’re going with a studio I would say Wilderness Lodge. I find the BLT studios really small and the TVs also bother me. Lol.

I cant believe Im saying this, but in your case, CR would be my choice. I love WL, but the proximity to MK, just being able to walk over gets the nod

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter