Dvc vs condo purchase

Upon a Star

Mouseketeer
Has anyone run the numbers for a dvc purchase vs say a condo in windsor hills? Dvc seems to be a liability whereas the condo an asset. The purchase price of a 200 point contract even resale would be a substantial down payment. Being only 2 miles from disney I would imagine a strong rental opportunity when not for personal use. Any thoughts?

Has anyone run the numbers for a dvc purchase vs say a condo in windsor hills? Dvc seems to be a liability whereas the condo an asset.

sort of. FL real estate has taken a pounding the last few years, asset or no.

DVC's value will definitely hit zero at some point in the future - but OTOH, the liability related to DVC (for me as an OKW owner) will also end in 2042.

there are trade-offs. with DVC, i am only responsible for what i use - that suits me. YMMV.

Being only 2 miles from disney I would imagine a strong rental opportunity when not for personal use. Any thoughts?

imagine away. there is a lot of competition for wdw rentals, though. (and DVC has access to onsite perks, which condos can't get, so that is something else to consider...if onsite perks are a non-issue, you may want to consider looking at a comparison with a couple of marriott or sheraton timeshare weeks - which are cheaper than DVC.)

there is a lot of competition for wdw rentals, though.
This, exactly.

You have to look at rentals as (a) a lot of work, and (b) something that will only partially offset the cost of owning the condo. You can have someone else (a management company) do more of the work, but they will also take more of the revenue. Even in better times, Orlando is a renters' market.

Being only 2 miles from disney I would imagine a strong rental opportunity when not for personal use. Any thoughts?

I don't know how much of a draw 2 miles from Disney would be. When we used to rent vacation homes, a rental car was necessary. Driving an extra 10 miles made no difference. It was mostly price, then amenities.

I've owned DVC for about 13 years and I bought a house off I-4 exit 58 in West Haven a couple years ago. I like being able to not have to see if a room is available for example last Feburary for One More Day. I have just listed one of my DVC contracts for sale because I haven't been able to use all my points. Timeshare vs home the home will go up in value the timeshare resale will not. I'm keeping a some of my DVC points for the perks and to stay at Disney on special occations.

Has anyone run the numbers for a dvc purchase vs say a condo in windsor hills? Dvc seems to be a liability whereas the condo an asset. The purchase price of a 200 point contract even resale would be a substantial down payment. Being only 2 miles from disney I would imagine a strong rental opportunity when not for personal use. Any thoughts?
It depends on how you'll use it and whether you need something you can't reasonably get in a timeshare, like pet friendly. Unless you're looking at several weeks at a time, I would look at a condo as an investment ignoring usage and a timeshare as a vacation vehicle. There is a lot of competition in the area for hotels, etc. I haven't looked lately but in recent years, getting the Gaylord for $100 a night on priceline was not uncommon. DVC may be the cheapest on property compared to deluxe but not for moderate's or values (pretty close for moderates compared to a studio or 2 BR for 2 rooms). Compared to buying DVC and looking at 2 BR, Marriott's Grande Vista, Wyndham's Bonnet Creek and Bluegreen's The Fountains are all comparable resorts to DVC and much cheaper to buy and roughly 2/3 the price yearly compared to DVC or less depending on how you approach it. There are actually even cheaper methods to get good timeshares in Orlando for many by owning elsewhere and trading in through II or RCI but there is more risk and one must consider the membership and exchange fees. And some of those other options actually give the potential to trade in to DVC as well for a much reduced rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter