dvc upgrade

ilostnemo

Mouseketeer
Me and my soon to be wife are going to be staying at SSR on rented points for our honeymoon and it is noted on the ressie. My question is what are the chances of them upgrading us to a better room? Seems like SSR is pretty empty last I heard for the time nov 12-16.

The main reason you would be given an upgrade is a maintenance issue with the room you are scheduled to be in. If you ask for and receive an upgrade at check-in the person you are renting from will mostly likely be charged the extra points for the upgrade. That being said, I am one of the few to have received more than one upgrade:
1. Once cause of over booking at VWL:
Booked a studio at VWL, when we tried to check-in, we had been upgraded to a WL 2 bedroom lake view suite. Called some family members to come and join us for an unexpected vacation.
2. Once cause of problem with check-in at AKL:
Booked a standard view studio at AKL-Jambo, checked-in, given a room key as the room was suppose to be ready, went to the room, and found suitcases and purse in the room along with the room not being made up. Went back to the front desk, they gave us an on-the-spot upgrade to a savanna view room in another part of the resort plus four free breakfasts.
3. DCL
We reserved an inside stateroom but were upgraded to an ocean view room. We did not find out about the upgrade until we got to the room, what a surprise that was.
4. AKL-Jambo
Booked standard view room at 5 days out, due to a last minute change in home plans. Given a Savanna View room.

Me and my soon to be wife are going to be staying at SSR on rented points for our honeymoon and it is noted on the ressie. My question is what are the chances of them upgrading us to a better room? Seems like SSR is pretty empty last I heard for the time nov 12-16.

Upgraded to what? If you're renting points you will be getting what you paid for. However you can request a location or a view at SSR. Personally I would request a DTD view, it's beautiful.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and enjoy your honeymoon!

Assuming you're trying to upgrade from a Studio to a One Bedroom, those nights are not even available to members looking to book a new reservation on points. The resort is full for at least a portion of that stay.

They can't give an upgrade if there aren't rooms available.

And even if there were availability, complimentary upgrades are not given on DVC point stays. Sorry.

Timeshares are much different than hotels. While it's standard to ask for hotels, IMO, it's inappropriate to do so for timeshares. In addition if there have been reports of the resorts actually accommodating the request but charging the owner the actual points usually while also putting the original points into holding status.

Timeshares are much different than hotels. While it's standard to ask for hotels, IMO, it's inappropriate to do so for timeshares. In addition if there have been reports of the resorts actually accommodating the request but charging the owner the actual points usually while also putting the original points into holding status.

This becomes a major problem for the owner. You don't want to do that. Room upgrades just don't work the same in this situation.

You may not get an upgrade, but you may get one of the preferred rooms in your category. Last April my wife and I stayed at BLT for a belated tenth anniversary trip since we couldn't get a sitter for the kids in February. We booked a standard view studio which is technically what we got. However, our room did have a great MK view from the balcony and it was on the same floor as the sky bridge. It was awesome. The reason this room was probably a standard view was that you couldn't see the MK well from inside the room and if you spent all your time looking straight down instead of forward, you'd see the maintenance and loading area. So, again, while technically not an upgrade it was probably one of the better rooms in that category. Also, we did not do any room requests ahead of time, we just noted on our reservations that we were celebrating our tenth.

The main reason you would be given an upgrade is a maintenance issue with the room you are scheduled to be in. If you ask for and receive an upgrade at check-in the person you are renting from will mostly likely be charged the extra points for the upgrade. That being said, I am one of the few to have received more than one upgrade:
1. Once cause of over booking at VWL:
Booked a studio at VWL, when we tried to check-in, we had been upgraded to a WL 2 bedroom lake view suite. Called some family members to come and join us for an unexpected vacation.
2. Once cause of problem with check-in at AKL:
Booked a standard view studio at AKL-Jambo, checked-in, given a room key as the room was suppose to be ready, went to the room, and found suitcases and purse in the room along with the room not being made up. Went back to the front desk, they gave us an on-the-spot upgrade to a savanna view room in another part of the resort plus four free breakfasts.
3. DCL
We reserved an inside stateroom but were upgraded to an ocean view room. We did not find out about the upgrade until we got to the room, what a surprise that was.
4. AKL-Jambo
Booked standard view room at 5 days out, due to a last minute change in home plans. Given a Savanna View room.

Wow, those are some impressive upgrades. I think it is time for you to play the lottery as you seem to have luck on your side.

I have never had any "significant" DVC upgrades (i.e. studio -> 2 bedroom), but have had received better locations than expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter