• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Split Contract Question

MikeOhio

Mouseketeer
I am planning on buying 300 points direct and would like to have it split into three 100 point contracts. The guide said I can't do that and receive blue card benefits (or magical beginnings) unless one of the contracts is at least 150 points. My understanding is that as long as my total points exceeded 150 it doesn't matter how they are split.

Is the guide right?

I am planning on buying 300 points direct and would like to have it split into three 100 point contracts. The guide said I can't do that and receive blue card benefits (or magical beginnings) unless one of the contracts is at least 150 points. My understanding is that as long as my total points exceeded 150 it doesn't matter how they are split.

Is the guide right?
You are correct and the guide is wrong on member benefits. I believe you are also correct on Magical Beginnings. The wording of the offer suggest that to take advantage of Magical Beginnings you only have to purchase an interest of more than 150 points and specifies nothing about how the interest is attached to specific contracts. I believe there are a number of examples (in the summer incentives thread and the magical beginnings thread) of individuals splitting up there points in less than 150 point increments and doing magical beginnings.

That said, if those three contracts are not at the same resort, then you would not be able to do Magical Beginnings.

It might be good to find a different guide to talk to most likely.

My understanding is that as long as my total points exceeded 150 it doesn't matter how they are split.

I believe that's correct. We did 150 as 3x50.

But it may matter if you are a new owner (or if this is a new use year for you) since the first contract may have a bigger size requirement if you buy direct. If you already have a contract in that use year, then it's definitely not an issue.

IMO, the guides, when saying this, is to let a new buyer know that you need to keep 150 in order to have the benefits and if you go with three 100s, those on their own don’t count..meaning if you sold, two of the three you’d lose the benefits.

I just don’t think they do a good job of it and it comes off as misinformation.

But, you can definitely buy three 100 points contracts, for extras and I believe still sell back all 300 points for MB..it has to be all or nothing.

I would just let them know you understand that in order to be eligible for the extras you just keep at least two of the three contracts down the line but want them broken up anyway.

IMO, the guides, when saying this, is to let a new buyer know that you need to keep 150 in order to have the benefits and if you go with three 100s, those on their own don’t count..meaning if you sold, two of the three you’d lose the benefits.

I just don’t think they do a good job of it and it comes off as misinformation.

But, you can definitely buy three 100 points contracts, for extras and I believe still sell back all 300 points for MB..it has to be all or nothing.

I would just let them know you understand that in order to be eligible for the extras you just keep at least two of the three contracts down the line but want them broken up anyway.

isn't there a minimum contract size for the initial/master contract? (for new member or new use year)

isn't there a minimum contract size for the initial/master contract? (for new member or new use year)

Yes, it’s currently 100 points. So, technically if someone wanted 1000 points, in the example I quoted, at a sold out resort..as long as they had enough points in a unti for at least 100, DVD could make it work for the buyer in multiple contracts.

For resorts that are in active sales, doing that one large contract is pretty easy because they still have so many units.

And, a unit is typically more than one room. Take BPK at VGT. The points were declared in two units…each with 101 rooms. So, doing a 1000 point contract right now would be easy.

When I purchased another contract and included my husband on the new contract (new member), I was wanting to purchase 3 - 100 point contracts and was not able to do so. At the time, the the minimum contract was 150 for new members and they wouldn’t work around it. I ended up missing out on the Grand Floridian luggage waiting for approval from a supervisor that ended up being rejected. I had to buy 150 and then split the other 150 into smaller contracts.
All of this to say, since the new minimum is 100, it shouldn’t be an issue. Not sure if your guide isn’t aware of the new minimum and thinks smaller than 150 will be rejected OR did a poor job explaining that you want to keep a minimum of 150 to remain direct if you were to sale.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter