DVC Retirement

patm95

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone.

I was talking to my wife about how neat it would be to get enough points to stay a whole month on property when we retire. Does anyone else do this?

I just thought thought it would be great to get away from the cold and spend time just hanging out and enjoying the parks and atmosphere.

Although we've never done this, I know that there are a few who do this at Hilton Head for the entire winter. And since you can't say at a resort for more than a month consecutively, once a month, they pack up and head to WDW for a few days, then come back. Staying the winter at HHI is fewer points if you're interested.

Its funny you brought this up as we were just talking about it. We have 150 points at VGF and 100 at BLT. I think you could easily do this depending on the resort you want. I know we looked and at VGF points alone we could do 3 weeks at OKW if we wanted depending on time of year. I would study the time of year, the type of room you want and ideal resort location and back into the points you would need. Happy retirement!

Although we've never done this, I know that there are a few who do this at Hilton Head for the entire winter. And since you can't say at a resort for more than a month consecutively, once a month, they pack up and head to WDW for a few days, then come back. Staying the winter at HHI is fewer points if you're interested.
Oh my. Wouldn't that be the life?!

Its funny you brought this up as we were just talking about it. We have 150 points at VGF and 100 at BLT. I think you could easily do this depending on the resort you want. I know we looked and at VGF points alone we could do 3 weeks at OKW if we wanted depending on time of year. I would study the time of year, the type of room you want and ideal resort location and back into the points you would need. Happy retirement!
That's exactly what I was thinking. I think you could do it pretty easily with 600 points and could do it with much less if only using studios. Great minds think alike! :-)

Have been thinking about it a lot. I think I will plan on doing this once retired. 1 month in a one bedroom. Make it a home. Put pictures of the kids on the shelves, bring the extra dishes/pots/pans needed from home and just be there. I think this would be super relaxing and a great way to experience Disney world.

Looks like the month of january in a studio at hhi is about 250 points.
Looks like a great future plan for me!

We've thought about doing this, too.

To maximize your points, though, you really do have to stick with studios, and I can't imagine how I'd feel eating Disney food for a month, even if I tried including some healthier options. It's tough with only a microwave, though. Laundry would be easier, since there are communal laundry facilities.

Forget retirement, I've considered working from home for a month and trying this out. I know several people did this during the pandemic.

I was doing the math on staying at SSR in a studio 5 nights per week, with a 1 bedroom two nights per week to catch up on laundry, meal prep, etc.

It's a lot of moving, but doable.

We've thought about doing this, too.

To maximize your points, though, you really do have to stick with studios, and I can't imagine how I'd feel eating Disney food for a month, even if I tried including some healthier options. It's tough with only a microwave, though. Laundry would be easier, since there are communal laundry facilities.
Great point about the laundry facilities. I had forgotten about that.

Forget retirement, I've considered working from home for a month and trying this out. I know several people did this during the pandemic.

I was doing the math on staying at SSR in a studio 5 nights per week, with a 1 bedroom two nights per week to catch up on laundry, meal prep, etc.

It's a lot of moving, but doable.
Makes me wish I had a remote job!

I have enough points for a studio for a month. But I have animals and rental properties to look after, so I can't really be gone that long.

Not that we would, but with the dog friendly policy at the Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, we could bring our two girls and stay for a month. However, laundry would be a significant issue as I would not want to hike laundry baskets to and from the laundry room.

DH and I have discussed this very thing when we are empty nesters and retired, in about 10 years. We'd also need a full kitchen for a bit.

There was an old thread here posted by someone who spent several weeks at DVC in studios - they had a number of imaginative food options using only the kitchenette.... need to find ....

DH and I have discussed this very thing when we are empty nesters and retired, in about 10 years. We'd also need a full kitchen for a bit.

There was an old thread here posted by someone who spent several weeks at DVC in studios - they had a number of imaginative food options using only the kitchenette.... need to find ....
Oh would be very interested in that if you find it!

Latest posts

facebook twitter