DVC Rentals - what is it?

MyPrince&Princess

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie and was wondering how the DVC points rental works. I need it explained to me in the most BASIC terms - please because I just can't seem to figure it out!!:worship:

I've been to Disney many, many times, and never stayed in the "World" bc it just seems cost prohibitive. Now, I'm reading that maybe, just maybe, we can swing it without having to take out a second mortgage!

If you are able to and willing, I'd love some comparisons of what the rack rate is and what you've paid, for which resort, and what time of year....

I'm still dreaming of Disney at Christmas.....:santa: and would really LOVE to make that happen for my family (read "ME"!!!).
thanks!
MP&P

This is apt to be long. And you'll probably end up with several variations, from various people.

Disney Vacation Club (DVC) is a subsidiary company of Disney. (The actual name of the subsidiary may be different; I don't have access to my legal documents and it's been 16 years since I bought in and I just don't think about it that much.) It's a timeshare, which means that people technically "own" some part of the resort they buy into (their 'home resort'.) I once figured I might own about a one square foot area in one bathroom, somewhere in the Boardwalk Villas resort. :-)

Instead of a more traditional timeshare, DVC sells "points". You buy a certain number of points for a set price and, if you keep up your maintenance fees and don't try to destroy the rooms you stay in, you are considered a member in good standing and you get your points 'refilled' every year at the beginning of your "use year". For example, my "use year" is June, so the points I purchased 'refill' again on June 1st. You use points to make a reservation at a DVC resort. Each type of room, as is normal in a hotel, costs a different number of points. A 1 bedroom is, generally, going to cost more points per night than a studio room would. And, just like a regular hotel, the time of the year and the view you have will also directly influence the number of points that it takes to make a reservation.

Some people, for whatever reason, may not want or be able to use all the points that they have in their account during their use year. They have some options in terms of pushing those points to the next year ("banking" them) or putting them into another option entirely, other than Disney (putting them into the RCI system,) but many people will consider "renting their points". The term renting is used, mostly I think, to make explicit the fact that they are not actually selling their timeshare, only selling some small portion of their total points (a DVC contract will last at least 40 years - that's at least 40 years of the same number of points available to the owner each year, so one reservation is just a fraction of the total points an owner technically owns.) And, honestly, what happens is that they are selling an existing reservation to the 'renter'.

The process is generally as such: Owner says to self "hmmm, maybe I should try to rent some points this year". Renter says to self, and then to Owner (via various methods, discussed below) "hey, I'd like to go to a DVC resort for a night or many nights - how about we negotiate something." The Owner needs to know what resort the Renter wants to stay at, what nights the Renter wants to stay, what size room the Renter is interested in, and what view the Renter wants to get at that specific resort. That will allow the Owner to determine how many points that specific reservation would cost. (Many Renters can also figure this out on their own and probably do, if only to get an idea of their potential cost before they actually spend much time trying to find an Owner able and willing to work with them.) Since the Renter cannot (literally cannot) make the reservation with the Owner's points by themselves, the Owner and Renter come to some agreement over how much the Renter will pay the Owner for the reservation (usually expressed in $$$ per point) and the Owner makes the reservation, gives the Renter's name as the person who will be staying on the reservation, receives the money from the Renter (or ends up cancelling the reservation) and the Renter shows up to the resort and enjoys their Disney vacation.

You, as a potential Renter, can use various methods to find an Owner. You might know someone personally, you might use the Rent/Trade boards here on Disboards, or there are at least two 'middleman' services that you can go through. There are various and minor differences with each method, but you basically will end up paying someone for the reservation that's been made in your name.

Most of the people that frequent this board are likely Owners. Some will have rented prior to buying in, but you may find a larger pool of people who've rented on the regular Resort boards. You can get an idea, however, of cost by simply determining what kind of reservation you're interested in - what resort, what dates, what type of room and what view - and calculating the number of points needed yourself. I believe that at least one of the 'middleman' sites will also give you an idea of total cost based on the factors I just listed. Then you can enter basically the same data into the regular Disney site to get your comparison.

Be aware that there are significant differences between a 'regular' Disney reservation and one made via a 'rental of DVC points'. When you go through Disney, even if you are reserving a DVC resort room, Disney will treat it like a regular hotel room. The timeframe for what you'll owe, the penalty for cancelling (if any), and the service you'll get will be different than you'll have if you 'rent' from a DVC owner. Generally you'll owe more earlier, though of course that's up to the Owner and you to decide in the contract you sign with them. Also, the ability to cancel is usually far more restrictive with a rental contract. And, since you'll be treated as a timeshare member, not a hotel guest, you'll find that housekeeping services are far less frequent (instead of them coming daily, it's basically every 4 days.) Finally, the price for a reservation made via Disney will be (or should be, otherwise why would you rent a DVC reservation?) significantly higher. As well, there are certain perks such as 'free dining' that you will not be able to take advantage of if staying via a DVC rental reservation.

Now that you know about renting DVC points you need to be aware of some very important facts.

DVC seasons don't necessarily coincide with cash reservation seasons. January, September and the 1st 2 weeks of December are the lowest point requirement times for DVC. Literally from September through January DVC units are booked solid by DVC members because of Food & Wine Festival, Halloween Parties, Christmas Parties, the holiday decorations and the marathon in January. Christmas time is insanely popular and is booked up 11 months in advance by people who own at those resorts.

If you want to stay at a particular resort at desirable times you will need to find an owner that is willing to rent you their points and have them book your stay 11 months in advance. People who do this should expect to pay the owner a premium price, between $13 and $16 per point. If you are looking to save money I don't think this is the way to go. Yes, this would be far cheaper than paying Disney rates at the deluxe hotels or villas but you could stay cheaper at the values or moderates on-site. Depends on what kind of accommodations you book, studios would require less points but a 1 or 2 bedroom will require double and triple points but they are double and triple the square footage and have full kitchens, in-room laundry facilities and sometimes multiple bathrooms.

Keep reading and doing more research. Good luck!

Wow - it's like you know me! Thank you both for writing back in so much detail. Fantastic! I'm very green on the DISboards so I appreciate the time you took to help me out. I will be spending a lot of time learning my way around....and hopefully a great trip for my family will result!

thanks!

I went back and re read your original post and saw that you were asking for price comparisons.

We stayed at Beach Club Villas (BCV) Nov 28 until Dec 6, 2014 in a studio. A studio is basically a hotel room with a queen bed, sofa that makes into a sleeper, and a kitchenette. It cost us 107 points. If we had paid cash to Disney it would have cost $454 per night X 7 = $3178 before tax. If you were to rent points at $15 per point it would be $1605, no tax required.

If you would stay at the same time for cash at Pop Century (value resort) it would cost $902 + tax or at Caribbean Resort (moderate resort) it would be $1472 + tax. These are rack rates, you may be able to take advantage of certain discounts when you book.

Another comparison would be our upcoming stay at Bay Lake Tower (BLT) in September in a standard view 2 bedroom costing 273 points. Cash to Disney it is $830 per night X 7 = $5810 + tax. Rented at $15pp X 273 = $4095.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
And on the comparison of those rates, when you book DVC your reservation should be seen as final. Sometimes private owners will work with you to sublet if they have sufficient time to do so (the brokers won't - not for any reason - they recommend insurance, which will further increase your costs), but MOST rentals are final. When booking cash through Disney, you can move your reservation, and cancel for at least part of your money back until pretty late in the game. In this way, DVC adds a lot of risk for someone who finds money tight.

This was very helpful, thank you! I am new here as well and was curious about the possibility of renting points to stay at the WL in September - probably not until 2016 or 2017. It's good to know that this is a popular DVC time and will need to be arranged at least 11 months in advance. I will need to compare to the price to stay in a standard room and also look into the possibility of getting that room with free dining. Wondering which would end up cheaper in the end. We also hope to do a split stay so I'm thinking maybe just booking standard rooms through Disney will be the way to go. So much to consider but at least we have a lot of time to figure it out!

:-)

There are two things I always feel compelled to tell anyone who asks me about buying into DVC. The first is "are you a planner, even years in advance?" The second is "buy where you want to stay (to get that 11 month advantage when booking.)" It sounds like you are definitely doing OK! on that first criteria.

And don't forget that the DVC rooms come with at least a microwave and mini-fridge (in a studio) or an entire kitchen (basically, anywhere but a studio.) Especially the longer your stay, the more you can possibly save by being willing to do a little cooking and reheating in the room. As far as I know, every DVC resort has some portion of their store devoted to bread, eggs, soda, chips, microwaveable meals, etc. And there are grocery delivery services that you can use, or you could drive yourself to the store, or you can utilize a car service that will add a quick grocery stop on your way from the airport to the resort. If Disney dining is your thing, this may not be a 'perk' you're interested in. However, if it's not a major component of your Disney stay, you might find it worth the extra effort.

Lots of pros and cons - many of them gone over, in detail, in various threads on this board. Happy reading!

This was very helpful, thank you! I am new here as well and was curious about the possibility of renting points to stay at the WL in September - probably not until 2016 or 2017. It's good to know that this is a popular DVC time and will need to be arranged at least 11 months in advance. I will need to compare to the price to stay in a standard room and also look into the possibility of getting that room with free dining. Wondering which would end up cheaper in the end. We also hope to do a split stay so I'm thinking maybe just booking standard rooms through Disney will be the way to go. So much to consider but at least we have a lot of time to figure it out!

If free dining is offered, and you have more than two people, its cheaper. The problem is that you won't know if free dining will be offered until its too late to make those non-refundable DVC reservations. Its going to be a gamble.

Also be aware that any "cheap" rooms on the point charts go fast at the resorts with both cheap and expensive rooms (although OKW has less expensive rooms on a points basis and usually has availability for longer). If you are looking at a standard view at BLT or BWV for instance in comparison, your chances of getting that room are not certain at any time of year and may come at a premium in terms of cost per point. Do your planning assuming you will be in a more expensive room.

Hi, I signed up for an account just to get some information about this as well. We are thinking of going this way since from what we have seen it is cheaper, and I had a traumatic experience at an AllStar resort last year. I went to the food court several times, to me that counts as a traumatic event. It was crazy!!! are thinking of going around the first part of November.

1. If I sign up for a rental can I link this reservation to the MyDisney account?

2. Can I add park tickets and dining?

3. Will it be attached to my magic band so I can add Fast passes and get dining reservations?

Thank you for any and all help.

1. If I sign up for a rental can I link this reservation to the MyDisney account?

2. Can I add park tickets and dining?

3. Will it be attached to my magic band so I can add Fast passes and get dining reservations?

Thank you for any and all help.

Yes to all 3 of these questions. You just need and reservation # to be able to link.

If renting from a DVC member they will have to add Magical Express and the Dining Plan for you through Members Services. If you have any specific room requests you have to go through the owner too.

This is the main reason we like owning, we retain control of our reservations. Renters do not control their reservations, the owners do.

Tickets you'll buy seperately - a lot of people use whatever link comes through the Mousesavers newsletter - but DVC doesn't sell "packages" that include tickets. Dining and Magical Express the owner can add. And you can link to your myDisney and Magicband. Also be aware of the differences between a DVC timeshare room and a hotel room. No daily housekeeping, you won't have your towels changed daily (you can pay for those things), and most studios are a queen bed and a full pullout (OKW is the only resort with two queens). A few resorts also have a murphy bed to sleep a fifth in a studio.

If free dining is offered, and you have more than two people, its cheaper. The problem is that you won't know if free dining will be offered until its too late to make those non-refundable DVC reservations. Its going to be a gamble.

Also be aware that any "cheap" rooms on the point charts go fast at the resorts with both cheap and expensive rooms (although OKW has less expensive rooms on a points basis and usually has availability for longer). If you are looking at a standard view at BLT or BWV for instance in comparison, your chances of getting that room are not certain at any time of year and may come at a premium in terms of cost per point. Do your planning assuming you will be in a more expensive room.

I'm leaning more and more toward just booking standard rooms through Disney and hoping for free dining. There will be four of us going so I'm thinking this will be the way to go. From looking at past years posts, it looks like free dining is normally offered in September at select resorts and the WL is usually included. Of course that could change and it's not guaranteed it would be offered at the AKL or BCR which are the other two we're interested in. It will be a gamble as you said. Thanks so much for the info everyone, this thread is very informative!

I'm honestly not convinced about the whole "it's cheaper" thing. I think it depends on how you vacation. Certainly if you spend the vast majority of your time in Disney parks and don't mind being tethered to reservations for most meals - and I know that is part of the Disney experience for a lot of people, so don't think I'm knocking it - it very likely is cheaper. For anyone who is more likely to want to roam around the resort, spend a fair amount of time lounging by the pool, and/or doesn't mind doing a little bit of "work" with regards to feeding themselves without having to worry about getting to specific restaurant by a certain time, I think you can make a case for eating most meals prepared by you as "cheaper" than paying rack rate for a room just to get the free dining. I know there are threads on this board debating the whole 'do you use the kitchen or not' question - some of the answers are pretty emphatic one way or the other! :-)

I guess I'm just saying that the whole renting from a DVC owner process is a bit more .... restrictive than renting from Disney directly and the biggest reason to do so, in my mind, is to save money. Rather than assuming that 'free dining' is the cheapest way to go, I'd encourage you to actually think about how and when you'd prefer to eat at Disney. If sampling all the restaurants you can is what you want to do then I'd think 'free dining' would go into the pro column. For me, a sandwich or even a frozen microwave meal from the resort store eaten in the privacy of my room is a better deal to me than having to deal with lots of people all trying to eat and go. Only you know the makeup and temperament of your group - keep reading and thinking. And, hey, whatever you decide - Disney will still be there the next time you want to go, I'm sure. You can try something different then. LOL

I'm honestly not convinced about the whole "it's cheaper" thing. I think it depends on how you vacation. Certainly if you spend the vast majority of your time in Disney parks and don't mind being tethered to reservations for most meals - and I know that is part of the Disney experience for a lot of people, so don't think I'm knocking it - it very likely is cheaper. For anyone who is more likely to want to roam around the resort, spend a fair amount of time lounging by the pool, and/or doesn't mind doing a little bit of "work" with regards to feeding themselves without having to worry about getting to specific restaurant by a certain time, I think you can make a case for eating most meals prepared by you as "cheaper" than paying rack rate for a room just to get the free dining. I know there are threads on this board debating the whole 'do you use the kitchen or not' question - some of the answers are pretty emphatic one way or the other! :-)

I guess I'm just saying that the whole renting from a DVC owner process is a bit more .... restrictive than renting from Disney directly and the biggest reason to do so, in my mind, is to save money. Rather than assuming that 'free dining' is the cheapest way to go, I'd encourage you to actually think about how and when you'd prefer to eat at Disney. If sampling all the restaurants you can is what you want to do then I'd think 'free dining' would go into the pro column. For me, a sandwich or even a frozen microwave meal from the resort store eaten in the privacy of my room is a better deal to me than having to deal with lots of people all trying to eat and go. Only you know the makeup and temperament of your group - keep reading and thinking. And, hey, whatever you decide - Disney will still be there the next time you want to go, I'm sure. You can try something different then. LOL

Dining at Disney is a huge reason we love WDW so much (we're the "take pictures of every meal" types). We are definitely not the types to cook for ourselves when on vacation. Part of the luxury for us of being on vacation is having someone else do that work and getting to try all new types of foods in different atmospheres. So for us the dining plan would definitely save money. When we go we like to do it "right" so that is why we're giving ourselves over a year to save up for the trip. I know many people do a great job doing these trips on a lower budget, but to us it wouldn't be worth it if we didn't get to stay in a deluxe resort and dine somewhere new for at least 2 meals a day. We are also planning a September trip and are hoping to avoid big crowds that way - and hopefully packed restaurants!

Ok, if you get a cash reservation at Wilderness Lodge in September with free dining you will be paying rack rate for the room. According to Allears.net that would be $2321 + tax for 7 nights in a standard view room. Plus Free dining requires you to buy at least 2 day tickets per person.

Renting 107 points for $14 per point at DVC VWL = $1498. Dining plan is currently $60.64 per Disney adult, which is 10 and over. Assuming you have 2 adults and 2 kids under 10 that would be $1118.18. Renting DVC and getting DDP = $2616.18. You would save a little but not much considering the tax they will charge you on $2321 for the cash room. I believe that if you add the DDP through the owner you won't be charged tax.

It's a common saying around here that "free dining" is not free.

Ok, if you get a cash reservation at Wilderness Lodge in September with free dining you will be paying rack rate for the room. According to Allears.net that would be $2321 + tax for 7 nights in a standard view room. Plus Free dining requires you to buy at least 2 day tickets per person.

Renting 107 points for $14 per point at DVC VWL = $1498. Dining plan is currently $60.64 per Disney adult, which is 10 and over. Assuming you have 2 adults and 2 kids under 10 that would be $1118.18. Renting DVC and getting DDP = $2616.18. You would save a little but not much considering the tax they will charge you on $2321 for the cash room. I believe that if you add the DDP through the owner you won't be charged tax.

It's a common saying around here that "free dining" is not free.

Thanks for doing the math for me on this one - I haven't gotten into the nitty gritty of it yet but would definitely need to do the math for each resort we hope to stay at and the different options for each. There will be four adults in our party, no children. I think I remember also seeing that there are some really good hotel rates available for the WL in Sept - someone posted about getting a room for $190/night through some magical something or other - sorry, can't remember off hand! Maybe it wasn't through Disney and wouldn't qualify for free dining. I thought that Disney did offer some good room discounts in the fall. Would it be an either or situation - either the room discount or free dining but not both?

Last edited:
I have never heard anyone say that they got a discounted room and free dining. However, I have had absolutely no need to stay at any Disney resort other than Boardwalk for at least 15 years, so I may have just skipped over a thread like that! :-)

I would think that last sentence - the 'either or' sentence - would be a great thread in the Budget Board. You'd probably get a really quick answer there.

I'll do some more digging around on here. I know there was a free dining thread from last year that had a ton of questions similar to mine and the answer is probably in there somewhere. Just need to find it!

I thought that Disney did offer some good room discounts in the fall. Would it be an either or situation - either the room discount or free dining but not both?

It is either/or. Not both.

4 adults at 60.64 a day and you will be paying the tax on that. Ouch! But you most likely will save some money going that way. I understand though, plenty of DVC members buy the DDP for the convenience and because they are on vacation and don't want to cook. Like I said before, tax is not charged on that for us.

Have fun doing the math!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter