DVC Rental Store experience

kittehkay

Earning My Ears
If you have used the DVC rental store, what was your experience with them? I put down my $100 deposit a few days ago and was curious what the timeline looked like for other people who have successfully (or unsuccessfully) booked through them.

If you are requesting a stay involving a lot of points, it may be awhile. I ended up requesting a refund of the deposit after a week. The other big agency I tried was more forthcoming and said after 24 hours they did not have owners with enough points. I ended up renting direct from someone on here.

If you are requesting a stay involving a lot of points, it may be awhile. I ended up requesting a refund of the deposit after a week. The other big agency I tried was more forthcoming and said after 24 hours they did not have owners with enough points. I ended up renting direct from someone on here.
That is a good point, I didn’t think about the amount of points. I just looked at the original email and it said I’m requesting 61 points, I’m not sure if that’s a lot, but it is for garden/pool for the Boardwalk.

That is a good point, I didn’t think about the amount of points. I just looked at the original email and it said I’m requesting 61 points, I’m not sure if that’s a lot, but it is for garden/pool for the Boardwalk.

That would not be a large number. I would follow-up in a day or so if it has been a few business days since you submitted. I found that it usually took 24 hours to respond to questions sent via email.

If you are looking to book in the 7-11 month window, it will take longer because have to have a BWV owner wanting to rent their points. Under 7 months gives more options to find an owner renting points as can use any resort. Also at this time in the 7-10 month time frame from now there is limited availability to book because that is the busiest time for DVC

We’re using them for our Thanksgiving trip this year. Paid $100 deposit on 12/19 (11 months out, requesting 2BR Kidani, 353 points). We were able to secure our reservation 1/26, so about 5 weeks after deposit. Good luck!

We used David's. I've contacted them twice after I paid for the points and haven't received the courtesy of a reply to either email. I would not use them again.

We used David's. I've contacted them twice after I paid for the points and haven't received the courtesy of a reply to either email. I would not use them again.
So you mean they already got your reservation, and you paid for it, and are just waiting to go on your trip? Were your emails time-sensitive? I am surprised they have not responded to you. I have found them to be very good.

I had a great experience with DVC Rental Store. I was able to get my reservation within 24 hours, but it was Jan 2021 when DVC was less busy. My questions were answered quickly and I was able to get a room request added to the reservation easily.

We’ve had great experiences with DVC Rental. We just started using them last year and they are very good about emailing back. I don’t remember it taking too long to secure our reservations but it all depends on them finding someone to rent their points

I have been going to Disney for more than 25 years and have always booked through Disney, with the exception of my honeymoon when a family member booked for us using their DVC points at OKW. In February I booked an 8 day stay at AKV, in a 1 bedroom, through DVC rental store. I placed my deposit and secured the booking within 3 days. The booking is for August, so it was approximately 6 months out at booking. Price was fair and process was easy. The site is straight forward and making payments once you have an account and confirmed booking is easy. Everything showed up on our My Disney Experience app as soon as the booking was made by the DVC member. So far I can recommend the DVC rental store as my experience has been a good one. Can't wait until August to get there and stay at Kidani.

We've used DVC Rental Store several times in the past few years, but I've noticed a few changes this time around. Be sure to read your rental agreement carefully. They now only allow one directive to be submitted to the renting member on your behalf without a charge. Any other requests made after your one time request or change, DVC Rental Store will charge you $50. They also have multiple employees replying to your emails now, so you will no longer be dealing with just one person on your reservation. This can be good and bad. Faster replies maybe, but the travel representatives are not all the same quality as far as detail goes. Some provide detailed answers & reminders, others are are little more curt and to the point. I don't want to be made as though I'm being a bother when I ask questions.
Just my experience and two cents.

Getting a reservation through a broker is never a guarantee and can take awhile. It was going through this process that contributed to my finally becoming a member after several years on the fence. It takes 2 things to get a reservation. First the room you want: days, resort, size, view all have to be available. Based on what you want, availability can be very limited at 11 months, and will likely be limited at 7 months. Most folks looking to rent either want the low point categories (book quick) or the preferred resorts (almost all booked before 7 months and QUICKLY book at 7 months if not already gone). In order to book before 7 months, the person renting the points needs to own at that resort. Using BWV as an example, they bought at BWV villas because that is where they want to stay. They paid a premium for those points, versus other resorts, because that is where they want to stay. So by the 7 month window they use their points at BWV. If any availability exists at the 7 month window, at 8AM sharp, owners from the "lower cost" resorts quickly book any remaining availability. Someone having to go through the rental process, will take a few hours and may miss out on that limited availability. Next, even if the broker finds someone with points at BWV they are willing to rent before the 7 month window, it needs to match how many points they want to rent. If you want a lot of points, they may not have that many spare points. Second if you want 61 points and they have 75 to rent, they may pass on your request and wait on someone wanting (needing) 75-90 points. Those 14 extra points might be difficult for them to use/rent, so they will pass on your request.

I'm not saying it is impossible, just it can take time. And while that time is passing.... the availability might disappear. Keep you request open, but also look for alternative options; ask around you friend network, look at rent/trade board on DIS. If you go the non-broker route, read the sticky notes on the rental board, if you don't look to protect yourself, you can get taken......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter