DVC Questions

gnp61

Earning My Ears
We are seriously thinking about buying into the BCV, but are hesitant due to the rep of timeshares! Any one have some input to help us. We have been going to Disney for over 9 years now and the last 5 have been a week at the BC. How hard is it to get the week you want during the summer months? We ususally trvel end of June or end of July? Any help would be appreciated.

:earsgirl:

I never even really thought of it as a timeshare when I was buying. The Disney name is on the line and it's a quality product. None of the "unknowns" that come with the timeshare rep.

Especially if you like to vacation roughly the same time every year, you should be perfect for DVC. You'll know to make your plans 11 months out every year. If you need to make a change, you'll make a change. Chances are very good that given enough time you can pretty much always get what you want. Sometimes if exactly what you want isn't available, you get on the "wait list" and 9 times out of 10 things will work out.

We've only been members for 4 years but we've always gotten what we wanted, even at the 7 month window. We love DVC and are only sorry we didn't join sooner! Hope you decide to join us!

Janis

gnp61...You sound like perfect candidate for DVC!

You go to WDW a lot, you stay on-site, and you have clearly established your preference for one of the resorts where DVC is now selling. In other words, you would be buying where you like to stay the most, which is important.

I have not heard of anyone having troubles getting summer bookings at the 11 month window. My family will be going two times this summer, and one was booked at the 7 month window (switched over from our "home" villas).

If you think your future vacations will resemble the past 9 years, I think you should seriously consider DVC. Just take those last 5 stays at BC, add them up and compare to the purchase price of BCV!!

We were 'hesitant' when we first bought in 1992, as DVC was a 'new concept' and yes, Florida time shares had a bad reputation. When we bought we signed up for the minimum number of points at that time (230) and after our first stays wound up adding on 3 times. The only warning I have is....don't EXPECT more than what is promised in your contract, and remember that perks like pool hopping can be discontinued at any time, as can trades to WDW resorts, cruises, and trades through outside companies. The 11 month booking window is why it is important to buy where you want to stay.

We have been very happy with our purchase (all of our points are at OKW), and I'm sure almost all responses you'll see here will be positive.

Thanks for the Info. We still haven't decided! The good side is that I haven't found one person who has negative things to stay about DVC. Will let you know when we decide!

gnp61,

When we were looking into buying in at DVC, we were also "leary" of timeshares. My parents own one in Mexico and while they use it to exchange to other locations, the exchange fee (membership fee too) on top of the maintenance seemed to make the costs just as expensive (if not more) as renting on your own with added limitaions of exchange availablity, etc. Also, their timeshare is not worth much if they sell it, if they can even find someone interested in buying it. They still use it but I don't think the $$ was worth it.

Now this is what convinced us about DVC (aside from the fact it is on-site): The resale value has held very, very well - while I don't expect it to keep going up as it has, I don't expect it to drop drastically either (esp. in the next 10 yrs) - there seems to be a good resale market available if we ever had to sell. Another concern is if we can't use the points, we can always rent them (there's a very good market for them), gift them (everyone knows people going to WDW - not necessarily Mexico), or stay at the Plaza in NYC (near home).

The final seller is the flexibilty of the points system - each vacation is different in terms of length and who comes with us. We are no longer regulated to 1 week in a 2-bedroom every year. Not only is this easier for our vacation usage but also if we ever needed to rent our "week" out (NEVER!!). It's hard to find someone who wants to go to XXX for a specific week - easier to find someone already going to Disney and see if their dates are available at DVC. Also, exchanges to Concierge Collection are also on daily points usage so we don't have to give up a whole timeshare week to stay in NYC or D.C. for a few nights.

While we don't anticipate having to give up our points to rent them out, it's nice knowing that the option is available to cover our maintenance fees if our finances take a sudden down turn in the future. Also, there seems to be less risk in our intial investment unlike other timeshares - some of which become worthless.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Thanks Grace! We hadn't even figured in the fact that we could always rent the point to someone if we couldn't use them. I don't see that ever happening, but it is always good to know, just in case.

Originally posted by gnp61
We are seriously thinking about buying into the BCV, but are hesitant due to the rep of timeshares! Any one have some input to help us. We have been going to Disney for over 9 years now and the last 5 have been a week at the BC. How hard is it to get the week you want during the summer months? We ususally trvel end of June or end of July? Any help would be appreciated.

:earsgirl:

We love Disney, and have never had any problem getting the week we want. If you book well
in advance you will not have a problem...:smooth:

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter