• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Pools, Pool Hopping, Etc.

The biggest problem is Disney, itself, failing to enforce the rules except when they get flagrantly out of hand, i.e. SAB pool hopping.
I cannot agree. The biggest problem is people acting selfishly, without integrity. Companies should be able to rely on the integrity of the general public to comply with terms and conditions of offerings. It is the widespread degredation of integrity that is, specifically, the "biggest" problem.

Also, enforcement costs money, and so enforcement (by a business) is only appropriate when the cost of abuse exceeds the cost of enforcement. Furthermore, remember that the cost of enforcement includes the cost of lost business from the transgressor, and the cost of lost business from non-transgressors due to the procedural impact of enforcement on those with integrity.

Having said that, our society's chronic problem with integrity is so severe that enforcement is often warranted, and as we can see, often applied by Disney to address what it considers severe abuse.

As far as SAB being gated, it really isn't. You can just walk in at several points, especially from the public walkway that goes under the shipwreck slide. But, we were always asked for resort ID's when we went to get towels. We did see people in the pool without wristbands though. It would be nice if the lifeguards did 'sweep' a bit more often...it might discourage some folks from being there 'illegally'.
I'm staying at BCV in late Nov in a studio. My ds is driving over from Tampa to spend Sat/Sat night with me. I think I would be best served if I put his name on my reservation...just in case we want to swim.

We pool hop regularly and by the book (e.g., don't try to "crash" SAB if we're not staying at BCV) and have never been carded anywhere. Our favorite "hop" is the volcano pool at the Poly at night, after dinner at O'Hanas; the evening setting is neat, the pool and slide aren't crowded and the view of the MK and fireworks can't be beat. Slide is also more fun than the ship at SAB.

poly_pool.jpg

Frankly, IMHO SAB is highly overrated. We used it back in 2001 when it was still open for hopping and before it got horrifically overloaded by the guests at BCV. Even back then it was (a) crowded :crowded: , (b) noisy :headache: , (c) difficult to navigate around :confused: , (d) had proverbialy long lines for any form of refreshment :guilty: and (e) was not the best place if you had toddlers :eek: (yes, the "beach" end is cute, but the other 80% of pool is too deep for young swimmers), and all that's only gotten worse subsequent to the opening of BCV.

So, if everyone else is obsessed with getting into SAB, be my guest. Leaves all the more room for my family and I in the other deluxe resort pools!! :smooth:

bicker said:
Truly very sad.

Folks should remember that these rules used to be much less stringent and less specific. They've become more restrictive because so many folks have voluntarily chosen to place their own selfish gain over respect for others. The more folks continue to do so, the more restrictive the rules shall become, and the more money we will all have to pay to in order to cover the added costs of policing such more restrictive rules.

Or pool hopping will be eliminated completely. As with most things in life, the many get punished for the abuses of the few.

You know it's one thing to totally disregard the policy, it is in my opinion pretty brazen to admit it. :rolleyes:

bicker said:
I cannot agree. The biggest problem is people acting selfishly, without integrity. Companies should be able to rely on the integrity of the general public to comply with terms and conditions of offerings. It is the widespread degredation of integrity that is, specifically, the "biggest" problem.

Also, enforcement costs money, and so enforcement (by a business) is only appropriate when the cost of abuse exceeds the cost of enforcement. Furthermore, remember that the cost of enforcement includes the cost of lost business from the transgressor, and the cost of lost business from non-transgressors due to the procedural impact of enforcement on those with integrity.

Having said that, our society's chronic problem with integrity is so severe that enforcement is often warranted, and as we can see, often applied by Disney to address what it considers severe abuse.

Thank you for seeing what I try to explain everytime I get involved in these types of discusssion; be it pool hopping, mugs, room occupany etc. Anything that involves the guest policing themselves. Doing what is right, just because it is the correct thing to do, not because someone forced them to do it.

And before anyone jumps in and says who cares, why should I care about what someone else does. You might want to read what caused the Fall of the Roman Empire. One of the main reasons being Decline in Morals and Values.

Sammie said:
Or pool hopping will be eliminated completely. As with most things in life, the many get punished for the abuses of the few.
Frankly, I'm surprised it's lasted this long. If I were DVC, i would have eliminated it and the associated aggravation 2-3 years ago. I'm sure there would be the temporary bank of complaint calls just like when they changed the points back in 96?, but then it'd be business as usual.

Dean said:
Frankly, I'm surprised it's lasted this long. If I were DVC, i would have eliminated it and the associated aggravation 2-3 years ago. I'm sure there would be the temporary bank of complaint calls just like when they changed the points back in 96?, but then it'd be business as usual.

The obsession with (what I again feel is highly overrated) SAB may get a lot of print here, but I don't think it's causing DVC any aggravation whatsoever. CMs at SAB are simply managing compliance with standing, published policy; guests who get caught trying to ignore it aren't in any position to complain to DVC....

....so they come here and whine!

For the record, I'm a rule follower, I support policing the pools and I would never hop at a non-allowed pool (heck, I don't even use the pool at the DVC resort I'm staying at, just to be safe! :rotfl2: )

That being said, in response to this comment:

bicker said:
I cannot agree. The biggest problem is people acting selfishly, without integrity. Companies should be able to rely on the integrity of the general public to comply with terms and conditions of offerings. [...]
Well, give me a call when the general public can rely on the integrity of companies (Enron, Tyco, WorldCom, etc. and the dozens of companies dumping their pension responsibility on the PBGC). While IN NO WAY DEFENDING THIS BEHAVIOR, it is easy to understand the frustration behind it, as companies sacrifice loyal, hardworking employees on the altar of the bottom line. Goodwill is a two-way street....

Pa@okw95 said:
It just shows me how far down WDW has fallen in the past years. They opened up the place to everyone when they built those value resorts.

WOW... I can't imagine that you would be not embarrassed to say THINK that, never mind put it in print for all to see. Talk about being :snooty:

It might be nice to keep in mind that it's not just people who stay at the value resorts that ignore rules.

KNWVIKING said:
***" If other parasites see people getting thrown out, maybe the embarrasment would make them think twice.

These are people we are talking about right?

Wow.

:scratchin

KNWVIKING said:
.... . Who cares if the headlines are bad..... those headlines will keep the other parasites out.

I swear that if it were possible I would have you thrown off the DISBOARDS for referring to people like that. The disdain you have for people makes me almost certain that you have one too many sheets :sad2: in your closet. You can't have that black of a heart and be a normal person... It's a POOL for crying out loud!!!

:sad2:

Nope....one of the MAIN reasons we own at BCV....LOVE that pool!! (But, that's not the only reason....I just think BC is BEAUTIFUL!!)

My goal is to try and stay at BCV....and spend as much time there as my family will let me!

:wave:

Beca

Danthesand said:
The obsession with (what I again feel is highly overrated) SAB may get a lot of print here, but I don't think it's causing DVC any aggravation whatsoever. CMs at SAB are simply managing compliance with standing, published policy; guests who get caught trying to ignore it aren't in any position to complain to DVC....

....so they come here and whine!
I disagree. They have to plan when the pool is likely to be at capacity. The resorts have to deal with daily planning to decide about capacity. They have to deal with the DVC members who follow the rules and call to see if pool hopping is available. They have to police the areas, this is likely the easiest as they should police them for other crashers anyway. Both MS and the resorts have to deal with the complaints when pool hopping is made not available. I even know of people who called ahead and were told PH was OK only to arrive at the pool and be denied access or asked to leave. DVC gets little or no benefit from PH, it's not an effective sales pitch in it's current state. My guess is the ONLY reason it's still in place is because it was promised to many over the years.

We have recently pruchased a resale at Beach Club Villas (BVC). We are so excited!

If we stay at another resort I know there are pool hopping to other resorts. Am I correct that you can not use the pool ( Stormalong Bay ) at BCV if not staying at BCV?? If your home resort is BCV can you use Stormalong Bay if you are staying at another resort??

I own at BCV, but can not pool hop to SAB when I am staying at Old Key West. Yet when I am at BCV, I can pool hop over to the Old Key West pool.

SAB is such a great pool, I totally understand the no pool hopping rule. It is really jam packed in the summer. :cool2:

Rainman said:
If your home resort is BCV can you use Stormalong Bay if you are staying at another resort??
so if you are staying at another resort you cannot use Stormalong Bay regardless of your home resort. Stormalong Bay is only when staying at the beach club dvc.

tothebeach9 said:
so if you are staying at another resort you cannot use Stormalong Bay regardless of your home resort. Stormalong Bay is only when staying at the beach club dvc.
That is correct.You can only use SAB if you are staying at BCV.That is one of the reasons BCV is so popular.

Misty

If your home resort was SSR and you stayed at a different DVC resort one trip, would you still be able to use the pool at your home resort. Or vice versa, if you wanted to use the pool at OKW and were staying at your home resort SSR. Just checking if the 'usual' rules apply to DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter