DVC Point Use for International Disney Parks

SpaceMountain77

Kidani Villager Victorian Gentleman Turtle Trekker
Hi everyone,

At the end of this year, we will have visited Walt Disney World 8 times in the past 3 years, for a total of 75 days. Although we truly enjoy our trips, we are ready to experience another Disney Parks destination. Have any of you used your points to visit Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland, or Tokyo Disney? If so, for which resort did you use your points, did you perceive it to be a good use of points, and did you have a positive guest experience?

Any thoughts would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,
Jim 8O

We have visited Disneyland Paris before but the points required there were absurd so instead we rented them out and booked a cash package with a room / tix discount. (You can sign up on their website for emailed pkg. deals.) The resort hotels there are not quite what we're used to here... YMMV on the overall guest experience. I'd recommend going with an open mind. DLP for instance isn't run by Disney. The employees there are not the CM's you're used to in the US and it is a completely different experience (dare I say less "magic"). If you're able to go it IS a fantasic opportunity to spend 2 or 3 days enjoying a different perspective (the castle and surrounding grounds there is absolutely stunning) but then move into a hotel in the city to truly experience Paris. It is an amazingly beautiful city that captured my heart years ago. DLP is just a side trip to everything else that is offered by a trip to Europe. Everybody should visit Europe at least once if you can.

The Asian parks are just a dream for us for the foreseeable future...

Tokyo Disneyland and HK Disneyland hotel cost around 50points per night. Which I could stay in BLT for 3 nights at Lake view. Personally I would recommend you to rent out your points and book a cash room. I lived in HK and totally don't think HKDL hotel is worth 50 points per night. It is around HKD3000 /USD400 per night.

I agree, DisneyLand Paris, can not be compared to Disney in the US.

We visited in 2012.

Even though my kids had a great time, the surroundings, the facilities the building etc, just had a more tired and worn look, and could use some freshen up. Also the CM's dont have the same sense of customer service as in the US.

The hotels at DisneyLand Paris, is also not to be compared to DVC in ANY way. We(2 adults 2 kids) booked what we thought was a 1BR (our mistake), but got cramped into what might be the smallest room I have ever stayed in.

Btw we stayed at the hotel called Disney's Hotel Santa Fe.

if you go, go with an open mind, and please dont compare to the US.

Regards

We visited in 2012.

Even though my kids had a great time, the surroundings, the facilities the building etc, just had a more tired and worn look, and could use some freshen up. Also the CM's dont have the same sense of customer service as in the US.

The hotels at DisneyLand Paris, is also not to be compared to DVC in ANY way. We(2 adults 2 kids) booked what we thought was a 1BR (our mistake), but got cramped into what might be the smallest room I have ever stayed in.

Regards

HA!! :crazy2: We also stayed in the Hotel Sante Fe - teeny tiny rooms with 1 double size bed & a bunk bed. No elevator. No A/C. We thought the wild west theming around the resort was nice but the room experience was definitely lacking. And I knew this going in from my cruise meet thread (the UK peeps had warned me that the DLP hotels were a notch below the US properties). We only spent 1 night / 2 days so I knew we'd be OK - we just needed a place to crash and were jet lagged. Can't imagine staying there any longer than 1 night tho. Still glad we went for a couple days and if we're ever able to go back we'll definitely upgrade hotels. The Sante Fe was below "value" for sure. Loved our old boutique hotel in the city tho and glad we didn't try to "commute" for sight seeing.

We are from the UK so visit Disneyland Paris often. We now stay on property as the annual passes for DLP tend to make the rooms really quite good value considering. I took at a look at the DVC points chart and I couldn't believe my eyes. I don't understand how they can justify the amount of points. For example, this Christmas, we are staying 5 nights in Sequoia Lodge (our favorite hotel on property, including the more expensive Disneyland Hotel, and the others of the same tier), we are in club level (called "Golden Forest") and paid £620, which is £124 per night (at the current exchange rate, this makes it $162 per night). A standard room (non club-level) for this same stay would have been 130 DVC points. Oh, and I forgot to mention, to use the DVC points, you'd need to pay a $95 transaction fee on top of this - which is not far off the cost of a one night stay! If I had rented that same number of points out via David's, that would have made $1,690 (£1,289 at the current exchange rate). So it just makes no sense to use points.

Bottom line - if you rent the same number of points though David's as the stay would have cost you, not only will you be able to get a better room using the cash, the amount you have left over will probably be enough for all your spending money too!!

Disneyland Paris gets a lot of stick, but I've noticed in the last year or so they are beginning to up their game. I can only assume the recapitalization from the Walt Disney Company has had a major impact. The biggest thing you'll notice is that the cast members are nothing like their US counterparts. I would probably liken it to saying that a significant number of DLP cast members see their job as just a job, where as a significant number of US cast members live and breathe Disney. There are always exceptions to this, at in both countries. So, don't rely on the cast members to make magic - though it does happen - make it yourself and embrace DLP for what it is. For example, we enjoy Main Street in DLP more than WDW. We love just having a coffee and a warm pastry down one of the 'side streets' for an hour or so in the morning. We also love being able to walk everywhere on property and not have to rely on any transport. The Tomorrowland equivalent on DLP ("Discovery Land"), is, in my opinion, far more interesting architecturally too.

just a note on the comparison between hotels

The Walt Disney World Florida onsite accommodation are RESORT hotels ie they are a destination in themselves.

The Disneyland Paris onsite accommodation are hotels, their main purpose is for bedroom and breakfast in the morning and evening relaxation in the restaurant and bar area.

Santa Fe is the family budget onsite hotel. It is based on an American MOTEL style. You can in no way compare it to the onsite resort hotels in Walt Disney World Florida. It is more like a Motel 6 Motel.

Its not fair to stay at the cheaper on site Disneyland Paris hotels and then expect them to be like the Walt Disney World Florida Resorts. They are not and are not marketed that way.

European HOTELS and American RESORTS are two very different things.

Also many people expect Disneyland Paris to be Walt Disney World Florida scooped up, made smaller and transplanted to France. Thats not how it works. Disney does not equal America.

Disneyland Paris is Frenchfied Disney. It is an American STYLE themepark with the cultural aspects and social behaviour of France / central Europe.

Disney is part of the American way, is very much part of American culture BUT thats not how it is in France. To many people in Disneyland Paris, Disney is just a job, not a way of life.

Go to Disneyland Paris with an open mind, to experience Disney in a different land, to see the unique aspects. Dont go thinking you are going to Walt Disney World Florida in France.

We have visited Disneyland Paris before but the points required there were absurd so instead we rented them out and booked a cash package with a room / tix discount. (You can sign up on their website for emailed pkg. deals.) The resort hotels there are not quite what we're used to here... YMMV on the overall guest experience. I'd recommend going with an open mind. DLP for instance isn't run by Disney. The employees there are not the CM's you're used to in the US and it is a completely different experience (dare I say less "magic"). If you're able to go it IS a fantasic opportunity to spend 2 or 3 days enjoying a different perspective (the castle and surrounding grounds there is absolutely stunning) but then move into a hotel in the city to truly experience Paris. It is an amazingly beautiful city that captured my heart years ago. DLP is just a side trip to everything else that is offered by a trip to Europe. Everybody should visit Europe at least once if you can.

The Asian parks are just a dream for us for the foreseeable future...

Thank you for your post. For us, Disneyland Paris would be a complement to our trip to France, rather than being the thrust of it. I did envision our onsite resort to be our home for a week-long stay.

From everything I have read, Tokyo Disney seems to be the most desirable international resort.

Tokyo Disneyland and HK Disneyland hotel cost around 50points per night. Which I could stay in BLT for 3 nights at Lake view. Personally I would recommend you to rent out your points and book a cash room. I lived in HK and totally don't think HKDL hotel is worth 50 points per night. It is around HKD3000 /USD400 per night.

Do you believe Disney's Hollywood Hotel to be a better value? I have enjoyed the photos of the piano pool and grotto slide!

We visited in 2012.

Regards

The more I read about Disneyland Paris, the more I believe Tokyo or Hong Kong would be a better experience.

HA!! :crazy2: We also stayed in the Hotel Sante Fe - teeny tiny rooms with 1 double size bed & a bunk bed. No elevator. No A/C. We thought the wild west theming around the resort was nice but the room experience was definitely lacking. And I knew this going in from my cruise meet thread (the UK peeps had warned me that the DLP hotels were a notch below the US properties). We only spent 1 night / 2 days so I knew we'd be OK - we just needed a place to crash and were jet lagged. Can't imagine staying there any longer than 1 night tho. Still glad we went for a couple days and if we're ever able to go back we'll definitely upgrade hotels. The Sante Fe was below "value" for sure. Loved our old boutique hotel in the city tho and glad we didn't try to "commute" for sight seeing.

Disney's Sequoia Lodge, Hotel Cheyenne, and Hotel Santa Fe are not captured well in photos, so your experience does not surprise me.

Based on the photos, Disney's Hotel New York and Newport Bay Club seem to be comparable in theming to the Walt Disney World Dolphin and Disney's Yacht Club, respectively. If the Wikipedia pages are accurate, the comparable theming can be attributed to the architects, Michael Graves and Robert A. M. Stern, who created these resorts for Walt Disney World. If we go to Disneyland Paris, I am leaning toward Disney's Hotel New York.

We are from the UK so visit Disneyland Paris often. We now stay on property as the annual passes for DLP tend to make the rooms really quite good value considering. I took at a look at the DVC points chart and I couldn't believe my eyes. I don't understand how they can justify the amount of points. For example, this Christmas, we are staying 5 nights in Sequoia Lodge (our favorite hotel on property, including the more expensive Disneyland Hotel, and the others of the same tier), we are in club level (called "Golden Forest") and paid £620, which is £124 per night (at the current exchange rate, this makes it $162 per night). A standard room (non club-level) for this same stay would have been 130 DVC points. Oh, and I forgot to mention, to use the DVC points, you'd need to pay a $95 transaction fee on top of this - which is not far off the cost of a one night stay! If I had rented that same number of points out via David's, that would have made $1,690 (£1,289 at the current exchange rate). So it just makes no sense to use points.

Bottom line - if you rent the same number of points though David's as the stay would have cost you, not only will you be able to get a better room using the cash, the amount you have left over will probably be enough for all your spending money too!!

Disneyland Paris gets a lot of stick, but I've noticed in the last year or so they are beginning to up their game. I can only assume the recapitalization from the Walt Disney Company has had a major impact. The biggest thing you'll notice is that the cast members are nothing like their US counterparts. I would probably liken it to saying that a significant number of DLP cast members see their job as just a job, where as a significant number of US cast members live and breathe Disney. There are always exceptions to this, at in both countries. So, don't rely on the cast members to make magic - though it does happen - make it yourself and embrace DLP for what it is. For example, we enjoy Main Street in DLP more than WDW. We love just having a coffee and a warm pastry down one of the 'side streets' for an hour or so in the morning. We also love being able to walk everywhere on property and not have to rely on any transport. The Tomorrowland equivalent on DLP ("Discovery Land"), is, in my opinion, far more interesting architecturally too.

With the reimagining of much of the resort underway, since this would be our first trip to Disneyland Paris, it may be best to wait until everything is complete.

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughtful replies. Right now, if this should happen, we are leaning toward Disney Ambassador Hotel, at the Tokyo Disney Resort, or Disney's Hollywood Hotel, at Hong Kong Disneyland. The surrounding offerings will largely influence our vacation planning.

Best,
Jim 8O

Do you believe Disney's Hollywood Hotel to be a better value? I have enjoyed the photos of the piano pool and grotto slide!
If you have to stay in Disney property, yes... Hollywood hotel is of a cheaper price. And try to find a local agent for deals don't book direct with Disney coz the direct package didn't offer any discount. Normally travel agents do offer package with a small discount when you book tickets together with them. HKDL 1 day ticket can be at HKD500 (from travel agent) instead of the official HKD599. Also consider a Silver AP if you are staying 2+ days... As the silver pass also get you 10% off dining and 5% off merchandise.

The problem with Disneyland Paris is that it's in a quite sad status now.
Following years of lacking maintenance and refurbishments, the whole park is undergoing in intense program of upgrades and there are (too) many closed attractions. Next year it will be the 25th anniversary and most of the work will be finished by then, but PotC will still be closed and it looks some of the new effects from the Shangay version will be implemented, so if you can wait the end of 2017 or 2018 it will be better.
DLP is certainly different, but for a Disney fan is certainly worth visiting. There are many unique attractions and many of the common ones are still diffirent and sometimes better than the USA counterparts.

Tokyo Disneyland Resort is way above DLP, but I'd say above the USA parks as well. Tokyo Disneyland is not much better (for many parts I prefer DLP to it and for sure Disneyland is better), but Tokyo Disney Sea is outstanding, Disney Magic distilled in its purest form.

About using points: hands down rent them and pay cash. For DLP keep an eye on the european websites as well, they often have different offers and you may find something better for you (anyone can book from any website, there is no geographical restriction). For example some offer a bigger discount and free for kids under 7, other a lower discount and free for kids under 11.

Last edited:
The problem with Disneyland Paris is that it's in a quite sad status now.
Following years of lacking maintenance and refurbishments, the whole park is undergoing in intense program of upgrades and there are (too) many closed attractions. Next year it will be the 25th anniversary and most of the work will be finished by then, but PotC will still be closed and it looks some of the new effects from the Shangay version will be implemented, so if you can wait the end of 2017 or 2018 it will be better.
DLP is certainly different, but for a Disney fan is certainly worth visiting. There are many unique attractions and many of the common ones are still diffirent and sometimes better than the USA counterparts.

Tokyo Disneyland Resort is way above DLP, but I'd say above the USA parks as well. Tokyo Disneyland is not much better (for many parts I prefer DLP to it and for sure Disneyland is better), but Tokyo Disney Sea is outstanding, Disney Magic distilled in its purest form.

About using points: hands down rent them and pay cash. For DLP keep an eye on the european websites as well, they often have different offers and you may find something better for you (anyone can book from any website, there is no geographical restriction). For example some offer a bigger discount and free for kids under 7, other a lower discount and free for kids under 11.
I used points to stay 2 nights at the Hollywood Hotel Hong Kong Disneyland. I loved the hotel and the park. The nice thing about staying on points was that our park tickets were included.

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughtful replies. Right now, if this should happen, we are leaning toward Disney Ambassador Hotel, at the Tokyo Disney Resort, or Disney's Hollywood Hotel, at Hong Kong Disneyland. The surrounding offerings will largely influence our vacation planning.

Best,
Jim 8O

The Ambassador Hotel would be the least convenient to the parks of the Tokyo Disney Resort deluxe hotels. The Tokyo Disneyland Hotel is steps away from the entrance of Tokyo Disneyland and Hotel MiraCosta is inside DisneySea. The hotel rates are on the TDR website and are fixed (never discounted), so you can compare if it's a good value for points. They are not owned by Disney but by the Oriental Land Company in a license deal, so I would imagine it's not a good deal.

The service is excellent at TDR, just like it is everywhere else in Japan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter