DVC Point renting

I'm thinking of renting out points. So when you rent points through a group like DVC Rental Store, who is responsible for notifying DVC that the points have been rented out?

The only requirement is that you have a contract when renting. But, DVC does not require you to notify them for every rental you do.

I'm thinking of renting out points. So when you rent points through a group like DVC Rental Store, who is responsible for notifying DVC that the points have been rented out?

Its best to think of a broker as a "dating service" - they will set you up with a renter, you go through all the work of setting up the reservation, but they'll act as an intermediary. They'll collect the money, take their cut, and get the money to you. Usually, you are contracted to add things like Magical Express and the Dining Plan (when things like that are offered), but other than that, you are going to make a reservation and then very likely be done. The broker will provide a layer between you and the renter and do the work of finding a renter for you and making sure they are serious, but that's about it. That layer is important to me because "people are nuts" and I seem to attract them like the yellow bag of M&Ms. With a broker you won't get shoppers just testing the waters (the broker has been through that part already), you won't get bargainers (the broker has dealt with that as well), and - check your contract - people who change their minds (we have thought about it and want to move our reservation a week. And a different resort. And can you book a Grand Villa).

But the broker is only an intermediary between you and the renter. You still are the contact for DVC with your points, the broker cannot act on your behalf regarding your points AT ALL.

I have previously rented my points with David's but have found it quite easy to rent out the points myself at the Rent forum here on DIS. Everything has gone smoothly for both renters and myself and I have had repeat customers. In terms of least amount of workload, my preference would be to transfer points (not banked or borrowed) to another member--no need to check for available dates, resorts, room size, etc. for potential renters and no leftover points to deal with.

If you rent out points through an agency, the agency contacts you and asks if you are willing to make the reservation. If you say yes, the agency gives you all of the information. You make the reservation just like you would make a reservation for yourself, except you enter someone else's name, address, etc.

So to answer your question - the DVC member is the one who notifies DVC that the points are being used, because the points get used to make the reservation. But nobody tells DVC that the points are being "rented out."
Oh OK thanks. They are offering me $16 per point. Is that about average?

I have previously rented my points with David's but have found it quite easy to rent out the points myself at the Rent forum here on DIS. Everything has gone smoothly for both renters and myself and I have had repeat customers. In terms of least amount of workload, my preference would be to transfer points (not banked or borrowed) to another member--no need to check for available dates, resorts, room size, etc. for potential renters and no leftover points to deal with.
Rent Forum
Thanks I will check that out

If by chance the rental agencies are not able to rent your points are you given enough notice so that you do not miss your banking window?

If by chance the rental agencies are not able to rent your points are you given enough notice so that you do not miss your banking window?
A lot of DVCers that rent out their points are renting banked points that cannot be banked again.

But if you are putting points from your current allotment up for rent, you can always bank them if they go unrented. Then just notify the rental agency that they are no longer available.

A lot of DVCers that rent out their points are renting banked points that cannot be banked again.

But if you are putting points from your current allotment up for rent, you can always bank them if they go unrented. Then just notify the rental agency that they are no longer available.

I figured that most were renting out bank points but was not sure what would happen if one were to do their current years allotment and had not been passed the banking window already.
Luckily or unluckily as the case might be, I have never had to rent out my points as I never have enough!! :)

I was just curious about the process.

Thanks for the info!!

I figured that most were renting out bank points but was not sure what would happen if one were to do their current years allotment and had not been passed the banking window already.
Luckily or unluckily as the case might be, I have never had to rent out my points as I never have enough!! :)

Thanks for the info!!

You are not promising your points to the agency. You tell the agency that you have points available. The agency contacts you when they have someone who could use the points. You tell them yes or no. If you say yes, they give you the info and you make the reservation. If you say no, the points are still yours to do with as you like. If you have not used the points to make a reservation for someone, you can do what you want with the points.

You are not promising your points to the agency. You tell the agency that you have points available. The agency contacts you when they have someone who could use the points. You tell them yes or no. If you say yes, they give you the info and you make the reservation. If you say no, the points are still yours to do with as you like. If you have not used the points to make a reservation for someone, you can do what you want with the points.
Great info. I wasn't sure if you had to sign a contract stating that you were giving them exclusive use of your points. You have certainly answered my questions and concerns!! :)

Still not enough points that I would need to worry about renting but really appreciate the clarification on using the rental agencies.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info!!

Renting points takes planning to do so efficiently. You can't decide on the edge of your banking window or your expiration window that you need to rent exactly the amount of points that need to be banked or about to expire and not expect to waste points. Plan enough ahead so that if you want to bank points, you get the opportunity to pull points that aren't rented. This is one of the reason ranges are nice. I know I need to use 100 points this year or bank them. I decide that I'm not going to use them, but I will bank them - which gives me another year of reservation time. I list those 100 points as being available at the start of my next use year (for reservations starting or after April 1, 2022 or whatever) and throw in a buffer from the next use year - say another 20 or 30 points. So I now list with the broker 100 - 120 points starting April 1, 2022. I might want to use closer to the 100 points, but if I don't want ANY points to go to waste, I have to be willing to use some current points. If I am going to need all my current points, then I'm most likely going to end up making a reservation for less than 100 points and wasting some, few reservation requests meet your point availability exactly.

New to the DIS Boards, But not to DVC. Have a open question about renting out points. We have been members for a few years and have never had to rent out our points. However last year we bought a new resort and have extra points that expire next year we are consider renting out. My question to those that have done this. Is it a hassle to deal with the people? Is it better to just let someone else deal with the paperwork and questions? IE: Davids, DVCresale, Redwek. I have rented out many times my Wyndham rentals with redweek but not sure they would be the best for Disney. Any opinions. Looking for advise. TIA.

I just switched this past year from using several brokers to renting it out myself on the boards. The short answer is, yes it's a hassle, but it's worth it.

Just keep in mind the majority of people you will deal with are not familiar with DVC and will ask a lot of questions. Some of the common themes I deal with:
- Can you book another resort?
- Do you have anything for 3 weeks from now?
- Can you check? How about? What about? One more... *poof* never to be heard from again.

That's basically it. Those three things, but I'll get a dozen or so of those questions before I actually find a renter. Depending on how many points you have, you may even have multiple renters as there's a lot of folks who only want a day or two as well.

That said, the extra cash from not having to pay the broker has made it worth it. The hassle is from those who don't actually rent and are testing the waters and really amounts to checking your messages and DVC for availability. Everyone who has actually rented from me has been problem free. At most they come back and make a room request, maybe a DME.

So if you're willing to deal with that, make yourself some extra cash. Just remember it goes both ways, treat your renters right and with respect and they'll do the same. I've found that if it's hassle free for them, many will end up being repeat renters down the road.

I’m hoping to rent Disney vacation club points. I’m new to all this but I know exactly what I want and need. Thank you to anyone that can help.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter