DVC point renting options

Noles2002

Nole Girl!
I am curious to hear who people have used for DVC point rentals. I just recently found out this was an option and I'd like to explore it further. The brief research I have done so far seems there are some good reputable sites and some not so reputable sites. So I'm a little concerned.:eek:

As a bonus, if anyone knows of a DVC point rental company that Capital One codes as travel (so I can redeem Venture points) that would be awesome!:worship:

I am curious to hear who people have used for DVC point rentals. I just recently found out this was an option and I'd like to explore it further. The brief research I have done so far seems there are some good reputable sites and some not so reputable sites. So I'm a little concerned.:eek:

As a bonus, if anyone knows of a DVC point rental company that Capital One codes as travel (so I can redeem Venture points) that would be awesome!:worship:

I haven't rented DVC points, but I did rent out some of our points this year through David's. It was a really easy experience and so I will probably consider it again in the future. I chose to rent through them because they are considered very reputable.

Last edited:
I haven't rented DVC points, but I did rent our some of out points this year through David's. It was a really easy experience and so I will probably consider it again in the future. I chose to rent through them because they are considered very reputable.
Ditto, never rented any, but have rented out with Davids twice, for a total of 5 different reservations. Super easy and reliable.

I have rented through David's. It's pretty seamless but there are a few caveats. Before they will even look for you, you have to give them a deposit of $100, it is refundable if they don't find anything. If they do find something and you agree to it, you have to pay 100% up front and it's non-refundable. When you rent points it's as if you are a DVC owner, you don't get housekeeping every day. There is another company out there who will look for you for free but again, you have to pay up front and it's non-refundable. You can look on the DVC boards here for owners who rent points and you go go directly through them, that can be iffy because you give them your money and there are no guarantees you will actually get a room. You need to start the process as far in advance as you can, your chances of getting something even as close as 6 months is pretty rare.

We have rented DVC points three times. The first time we went through David's and the other times, I found owners from this site to rent from. We have never had any problems renting. David's was definitely the easiest way to rent and I had zero concerns about my reservation being there when we arrived. However, the cost was higher through him than going directly through an owner.

Because of the way DVC works, if you are wanting one of the more popular resorts, you either need to go through David's and pay the higher price per point that he charges for the popular resorts OR you need to find an owner who owns at the resort you want to stay at so they can book the room 11 mos out.

Ditto, never rented any, but have rented out with Davids twice, for a total of 5 different reservations. Super easy and reliable.

We did this through Davids as well. Our points were rented out within a couple of days. They go fast.

I've rented points a few times from the DVC Rental Store and I've had a great experience with them. Renting points is definitely a great way to stretch your budget a little more, or check out the DVC Resorts before committing to buying your own DVC points.

I rented points directly from a member here on the Dis and had a wonderful experience. My parents joined us on our trip but they rented points through one of the DVD rental sites (not David's, they were incredibly slow to respond) and had a great experience as well. There are a few great rental sites so don't feel like David's is the only option...I believe they are the recommended one here on Disboards.com because they are a sponsor $$$$$ so do your research. Renting points is awesome and will save you tons of money if you are 100% sure you won't need to cancel your trip or change dates. We booked our rooms 11 months in advance.

We found someone on the Dis to rent from. It was super easy and my ressie was linked to MDE so I could see the ressie. The resort was amazing. Would do it again when the whole family goes. The 2 bedrooms, 3 baths & full kitchen where a dream. The DH still wants to buy in.

We're renting points for the first time for our upcoming November trip. Rented from a member I found on a DVC owners message board. So far the experience has been great... we got a great price on points compared to David's. Signed a contract, paid via paypal, I've got our reservation linked to MDE...

We booked last year through the DVC Rental Store. I started with David's (probably had seen them advertised more) and when they didn't have what I wanted (Beach Club) we moved on to the DVC Rental Store. They were super easy to work with, super responsive to my questions and explained everything. I would definitely use them again.

I have rented through David's. It's pretty seamless but there are a few caveats. Before they will even look for you, you have to give them a deposit of $100, it is refundable if they don't find anything. If they do find something and you agree to it, you have to pay 100% up front and it's non-refundable. When you rent points it's as if you are a DVC owner, you don't get housekeeping every day. There is another company out there who will look for you for free but again, you have to pay up front and it's non-refundable. You can look on the DVC boards here for owners who rent points and you go go directly through them, that can be iffy because you give them your money and there are no guarantees you will actually get a room. You need to start the process as far in advance as you can, your chances of getting something even as close as 6 months is pretty rare.

Another caveat, DVC rental is popular and there are fewer owners looking to rent out their points than people who want to rent. Especially for the smaller, newer or popular resorts - it may be hit or miss on finding the points - whether on the rent/trade forum or through a broker like David. Start far in advance and get your points lined up - even then you may never find points for the Poly or BCV during Food and Wine. This can make the non-refundability an issue, and if it is, you are better off with a CRO reservation.

Also, don't expect low point options (BLT/BWV Standard View, VAKL Value rooms) to be available - they book so fast at some times of the year that frequently owners and brokers won't bother if that is all you'll take. Also, don't expect the VALK concierge rooms to be available. If you are within seven months, points are points and you can book anywhere - subject to availability - but availability is pretty limited for the most popular choices by that time.

We have used Davids and Rental Store....no issues with either. If one doesn't have the points, try the other. That has happened to us (and no issue getting refund from David's). At this point though we try to find a private owner- we have gotten it cheaper that way but you need to research so you know what you are getting into. We have always made/requested our rentals a few days before the 11 month mark. Once we got exactly what we wanted (2 bedroom standard BLT). The other times we had to go for a lakeview because even at the exact 11 month mark we couldn't get it. We did manage to snag our Christmas points though- super excited!

We used DVC Rental Store. Their customer service has been awesome.

I think that is who we will be going with. They have been SUPER responsive to questions I have had thus far. I have heard wonderful things about all 3, but to be honest the fact that we just have to pay a deposit now really works for us instead of the whole thing paid up front. Fingers crossed they have what we want!

I think one of the more important aspects to DVC rental is that you will more than likely have to pay in full up front, and you don't have the flexibility of a regular reservation for changing dates and hotels.

i LOVE renting from David's! once you go DVC, you never go back!
so true!! We rented 3 times - found DVC owners here on Disboards and had good experiences all 3 times. Tried to rent points last January for a weekend trip to watch my daughter dance at UDA Nationals held in Disney but all the DVC studios were sold out that weekend. We ended up staying at AoA, which was ok, but definitely not like a DVC resort! We came home from that trip and bought our own DVC 2 weeks later lol

Last edited:
so true!! We rented 3 times - found DVC owners here on Disboards and had good experiences all 3 times. Tried to rent points last January for a weekend trip to watch my daughter dance at UDA Nationals held in Disney but all the DVC studios were sold out that weekend. We ended staying at AoA, which was ok, but defiantly not like a DVC resort! We came home from that trip and bought our own DVC 2 weeks later lol

We normally stay at the value resorts..idk how i will ever go back. I would literally cry :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter