DVC Point Rental Primer

I usually would buy them from Disney as part of a resort package. I wasn't sure with the new reservation system if I can buy just tickets from them & link them to the DVC?
If you buy from Disney they should link automatically. Should. If you buy from an authorized 3rd party reseller then you will have to link them yourself, but you'll save some decent money.

You would link your DVC reservation to your MDE account and also link your ticket to that same account. Doesn't matter where you buy your ticket (Disney or authorized ticket seller). Everything links to MDE just like a package's components do.
Is there a list somewhere of authorized ticket sellers that are valid with everything happening with Covid? I'm not familiar and thought some things may have changed since they began the new park reservation system.

Hello Disney fan boys and girls. Just had a question about the price per point when renting DVC points. What do you think a fair price would be per point to rent from someone directly? What are some of the determining factors for how renters price their points out? Seems like the range can be quite dramatic. I've seen points for rent that are as low as $12 and as high as $19. I feel like once it gets to be around the $19 per point range it doesn't make so much sense to rent directly from someone when I can just go to the broker and have them do all the leg work for around the same price per point. I appreciate any insight from those who have experience renting DVC points! Thank you.

Hello Disney fan boys and girls. Just had a question about the price per point when renting DVC points. What do you think a fair price would be per point to rent from someone directly? What are some of the determining factors for how renters price their points out? Seems like the range can be quite dramatic. I've seen points for rent that are as low as $12 and as high as $19. I feel like once it gets to be around the $19 per point range it doesn't make so much sense to rent directly from someone when I can just go to the broker and have them do all the leg work for around the same price per point. I appreciate any insight from those who have experience renting DVC points! Thank you.

IMO, a renter should look to pay whatever price makes sense for them in comparison to going cash and accepting the risks.

I think the higher prices are going to be tough for an owner to get given the discounts from Disney but more importantly, the flexibility one gets by going cash in this climate. Many renters lost out when resorts closed so I think current renters need to be sure they understand it when deciding,

Having said all that, it is the owner who sets the price so in terms of fair, it’s whatever they have decided that price is for their points.

If an owner is offering more than renters are paying, and they are not getting interest, they will lower the price or decide not to rent,

So, check out what is available and go from there.

The owners set the prices as they see fit. Renters are free to book thru anyone they feel comfortable using. That $12 per point is either an owner who is new to renting their points and doesn’t appreciate their value or an owner with distressed points who wants to sell them before they are worthless. The owner who is pricing their points at $19 per point probably owns at an in-demand resort and is renting 11 months in advance. They could be offering more flexible terms than the brokers (like re-booking if the renter wants to change dates or refunding all or part of the payment in the event of a forced cancellation).

Those brokers don’t have access to every resort in abundance. They only have whatever resorts are available to any owner and they only have owners who are willing to rent their points thru them. IOW, it won’t matter if a broker is charging $20/point for BCV if they don’t have any BCV owners offering points at the 11-7 month window. But if you’re paying a BCV owner $19/point, you know that you’ve got someone who has as good of a chance of getting you that studio during F&W as the next BCV owner.

IMO, a renter should look to pay whatever price makes sense for them in comparison to going cash and accepting the risks.

I think the higher prices are going to be tough for an owner to get given the discounts from Disney but more importantly, the flexibility one gets by going cash in this climate. Many renters lost out when resorts closed so I think current renters need to be sure they understand it when deciding,

Having said all that, it is the owner who sets the price so in terms of fair, it’s whatever they have decided that price is for their points.

If an owner is offering more than renters are paying, and they are not getting interest, they will lower the price or decide not to rent,

So, check out what is available and go from there.

Thank you for the response and your insight! I understand that owners set their own prices. I guess what I was really trying to ask is what do renters normally pay per point on average when renting points directly? My guess would probably be around $15-$17 per point, but I'm sure there are a lot of variables to consider as well with those numbers. It seems as though there's a lot more risk right now with renting points directly as the pandemic is still going strong and there's no way of telling when things will be back to at least semi normal. I'm wanting to rent for September 2021, but it just seems like there are so many question marks between now and then. At the same time with the 11th month window just around the corner for when I want to book, I feel like I might be missing out by not booking around that time frame. How much more challenging is it to book a DVC room at the 7th month window versus the 11th month window?

Thank you for the response and your insight! I understand that owners set their own prices. I guess what I was really trying to ask is what do renters normally pay per point on average when renting points directly? My guess would probably be around $15-$17 per point, but I'm sure there are a lot of variables to consider as well with those numbers. It seems as though there's a lot more risk right now with renting points directly as the pandemic is still going strong and there's no way of telling when things will be back to at least semi normal. I'm wanting to rent for September 2021, but it just seems like there are so many question marks between now and then. At the same time with the 11th month window just around the corner for when I want to book, I feel like I might be missing out by not booking around that time frame. How much more challenging is it to book a DVC room at the 7th month window versus the 11th month window?
Right now with the current covid issue, it isn't hard to book something at seven months out. Just yesterday I changed my Oct 2020 reservation from Kidani one bedroom to Beach Club one bedroom. Ordinarily that wouldn't be possible with Food & Wine going on. Early Dec is very difficult to book at seven months out. You need to book your home resort at 11 months out to make sure you get something. Two years ago, I had to cancel my OKW studio I booked at 11 months out at ten months out. At nine months out, I was able to try to rebook it. My three night trip only had the middle night available which I booked and waitlisted the tother two nights separately. Both nights finally came through about six months out, but single night waitlists are a lot easier to fill than multiple nights.

Food & Wine makes it hard to change to another resort at seven months out. Mid-Sept to mid-Jan (marathon time) can be hard to change at seven months out. Holidays can be hard to change at seven months out. Trying for a studio at seven months out can be difficult. It may depend on when you want to go in Sept.

Right now with the current covid issue, it isn't hard to book something at seven months out. Just yesterday I changed my Oct 2020 reservation from Kidani one bedroom to Beach Club one bedroom. Ordinarily that wouldn't be possible with Food & Wine going on. Early Dec is very difficult to book at seven months out. You need to book your home resort at 11 months out to make sure you get something. Two years ago, I had to cancel my OKW studio I booked at 11 months out at ten months out. At nine months out, I was able to try to rebook it. My three night trip only had the middle night available which I booked and waitlisted the tother two nights separately. Both nights finally came through about six months out, but single night waitlists are a lot easier to fill than multiple nights.

Food & Wine makes it hard to change to another resort at seven months out. Mid-Sept to mid-Jan (marathon time) can be hard to change at seven months out. Holidays can be hard to change at seven months out. Trying for a studio at seven months out can be difficult. It may depend on when you want to go in Sept.
Thank you for letting me know about your experiences with booking DVC in the current climate. It's good to hear that you can still get rooms seven months out. That makes sense due to the pandemic. I'm sure many people are not wanting to travel within the next half year due to travel restrictions and such. I'm looking to book the first week of Sept 2021 for 7 night, so basically a whole year and change from right now. I likely won't be changing resorts once I book the room or rooms I need for my dates. I'm sure that would be an extraordinary hassle as a DVC points renter anyways.
Just wondering what the situation will be in a years time. Maybe there will be pend up demand at that point for wanting to go to Disney World.... Here's hoping for some good news in the coming months with the pandemic and with Disney World![/QUOTE]

Thank you for letting me know about your experiences with booking DVC in the current climate. It's good to hear that you can still get rooms seven months out. That makes sense due to the pandemic. I'm sure many people are not wanting to travel within the next half year due to travel restrictions and such. I'm looking to book the first week of Sept 2021 for 7 night, so basically a whole year and change from right now. I likely won't be changing resorts once I book the room or rooms I need for my dates. I'm sure that would be an extraordinary hassle as a DVC points renter anyways.
Just wondering what the situation will be in a years time. Maybe there will be pend up demand at that point for wanting to go to Disney World.... Here's hoping for some good news in the coming months with the pandemic and with Disney World!
[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget that the 50th anniversary is also next year. If you are 100% sure you want to rent and be locked in, and want one of the near park resorts, then figure your price will be more in that range you quoted.

However, be sure you will be okay with the non refundable or no Changes that come with it as well as comfortable if Disney comes out with a deal or discount that makes the savings minimal.

Good luck.

Kinda on topic with “What do points cost to rent in sept 2021”...im saying you can get $50/pt for sept and oct 2021 reservations (as in the heart of the 50th anniversary celebration). this is pure speculation obviously, but im excited to see if a renter can give us a reason to rent out instead of going ourselves. im curious what long time owners think...how much per point will owners get for the anniversary?

Kinda on topic with “What do points cost to rent in sept 2021”...im saying you can get $50/pt for sept and oct 2021 reservations (as in the heart of the 50th anniversary celebration). this is pure speculation obviously, but im excited to see if a renter can give us a reason to rent out instead of going ourselves. im curious what long time owners think...how much per point will owners get for the anniversary?
Probably not as much as you might think. IMO, the rentals are capped by what Disney sets its cash price for hotel rooms. Few renters will accept the extra risk and the no-cancellation policy if the rentals don't offer a sufficient discount from that. Personally, I don't think the 50th is that big of a draw, especially considering it's likely to be a year-long long celebration.

Yes this thread helps understanding the market and how it works. I rent from a broker a lot, tried to rent on this board in 2009, but did not understand everything so got a little scared. I should have done my homework then...

Thanks for the info, I have rented in the past but it looks like the site has changed and I'm having a difficult time finding the link for the points for rent.

Thanks for the info, I have rented in the past but it looks like the site has changed and I'm having a difficult time finding the link for the points for rent.

Here on the DIS? It's just 2 or 3 boards down from the one this thread is on. Same place it always was but you do have to be signed into the DIS to see it which you are now since you posted here.

Just my perspective as an owner considering renting points here rather than through a broker. I'm trying to guess how much headache it will be to rent without a broker and how much I feel I need to be compensated (rate over what the broker will pay me) to deal with the headache. I've rented out my points through a broker and it was very smooth but I don't think they did much other than connect me to the renter.
Keep in mind too that many DVC owners pay around $7/point in maintenance fees. If you pay $20 and the broker keeps $4, the owner is only really getting $9 after the maintenance.

Did you ever make the reservation? Did you decide to use a broker or go through disboards?

Just my perspective as an owner considering renting points here rather than through a broker. I'm trying to guess how much headache it will be to rent without a broker and how much I feel I need to be compensated (rate over what the broker will pay me) to deal with the headache. I've rented out my points through a broker and it was very smooth but I don't think they did much other than connect me to the renter.
Keep in mind too that many DVC owners pay around $7/point in maintenance fees. If you pay $20 and the broker keeps $4, the owner is only really getting $9 after the maintenance.

Did you ever make the reservation? Did you decide to use a broker or go through disboards?

I have done both and at the time, the broker was worth not having to do it on my own. Then COVID hit, and I wasn't a fan of the way they handled things and realized it is easier to just do it on my own. However, to be fair, if I rent points to strangers...have lots of family and friends to use up my points so doesn't happen often...I charge less than market rate but make it pretty strict in terms of the rules. So, in my case, it was easy because there were no changes allowed at all.

Most reports here though are that it is pretty simple and in terms of headache, that is really up to you as the owner. You get to set the terms of what you will and will not do for the renter in terms of changes, etc. Some things are simple and some require more work, so IMO, first decide what terms you would want that would be worth it to do it on your own, and go from there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter