DVC Point Calculator v4.2 Now Available!

Lew

DIS Veteran
Version 4.2 of my DVC Points Calculator is now available here.

What is the DVC Point Calculator and what does it do?
  • It's a Microsoft Excel Workbook

• It will help you determine the number of DVC points to purchase

• It will help you plan your annual point usage

• It will track banking, borrowing, and point usage for you
What's new in version 4.2?
  • There are now five separate DVC Calculator worksheets in the workbook. You can now track contracts with different use years or contracts at different DVC resorts

• You may now enter resale purchases with banked and borrowed points, as-well-as current use year points used by the previous owner

• Long time members no longer need to enter data from the date they became a member in order to use the workbook. They can now start with their current use year

• There is now a provision for transferring points to and from other members or between contracts

• 25 years can now be tracked

• Customize the worksheet tabs any way you wish
Note: Version 4.2 fixes the following bugs in v4.0 and v4.1:
  • Cell comments could not be edited

• Transferred points were not accurately reflected
Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Lew, still trying to figure it all out. Thank you for all of your work. I know you spent some time on this...

John

I think it looks a lot more complicated than it actually is. I've tried to incorporate many requests and suggestions from current users. Doing this resulted in more complexity...some of which you don't see and some you do.

I would suggest that you just start entering your data to see how the workbook actually functions. You're not going to break anything and you can always delete or change data. Doing what-ifs is one of the benefits of using the workbook.

Enjoy...

Lew,

I'm using an older version of the calculator (v3.3 I think). Is there an easy way to transfer my old data into the new version? I've got thirteen years worth of transactions I'd hate to have to retype.

Thanks,
Len.

Lew,

I'm using an older version of the calculator (v3.3 I think). Is there an easy way to transfer my old data into the new version? I've got thirteen years worth of transactions I'd hate to have to retype.

Thanks,
Len.

LenDVC92 said:
Is there an easy way to transfer my old data into the new version? I've got thirteen years worth of transactions I'd hate to have to retype.
Yes, highlight and copy the data, then do a 'paste-special -> values' into the new spreadsheet. There are some new columns in the v4.1 spreadsheet, so be sure you paste into the proper columns.

I've downloaded it and I'll give it a test ride.

In the next version, could you add a space under trip information for type of room (i.e. studio, one-bedroom, etc.).

Lew said:
Yes, highlight and copy the data, then do a 'paste-special -> values' into the new spreadsheet.

Thanks, that worked! I had to 'paste special' twice though, once for the values and once for the comments.

Len.

1000th happy haunt said:
In the next version, could you add a space under trip information for type of room (i.e. studio, one-bedroom, etc.).
You can customize the cell comments any way you would like.

Right click on a cell with a comment. Select Edit Comment to add any data you wish. When you're satisfied with your work, copy the cell with the newly formatted comment to other cells. This, of course, is best done before you have entered any numerical data in the cells.

I really like the spreadsheet but even with the new 4.1 version there seems to be a problem in line 11 or 12.

In my scenario in Dec 06 - Nov. 07 I overbook by 62 pts and need to borrow. The 62 pt shows up in red in the needs vs availability column but it doesn't carry down or fill in over in the yellow pts borrowed column. And then doesn't reflect in the Dec. 07 - Nov. 08 row. It shows my full pts nothing borrowed.

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks for the spreadsheet, its really nice.

I'm a little confused about how transfers work. Somehow points transfered in aren't being taken into account when calculating borrowing.

When I transfer points in, the Maximum Available Points columns correctly update to include the new points, however, when I allocate those points to a vacation or banking they show up as being borrowed from the following year.

For example, say I have a 100 point/year contract. In a given year I transfer in 75 points. The Max Available Points columns now show 175 and 275 points as expected. If I now use the 175 points for a reservation Max Available shows "right on" as expected, but the Points Borrowed column shows 75 points, leaving me only 25 points for the next use year.

Transfers out seem to work correctly.

I hope my explanation was clear. Send me a PM if you need more info.

Len.

LenDVC92 said:
I'm a little confused about how transfers work. Somehow points transfered in aren't being taken into account when calculating borrowing.

When I transfer points in, the Maximum Available Points columns correctly update to include the new points, however, when I allocate those points to a vacation or banking they show up as being borrowed from the following year.

For example, say I have a 100 point/year contract. In a given year I transfer in 75 points. The Max Available Points columns now show 175 and 275 points as expected. If I now use the 175 points for a reservation Max Available shows "right on" as expected, but the Points Borrowed column shows 75 points, leaving me only 25 points for the next use year.

Transfers out seem to work correctly.

I hope my explanation was clear. Send me a PM if you need more info.

Len.

Are you looking in the correct column. One is a column titled "maximum available pts" but does not include borrowing. The column to the right of that one is also titled "maximum available pts" but does include borrowing. They are columns R8 and T8.

Also Lew has addressed the problem I was having above and it seems to be corrected. I also had a transfer in and the new version he sent me this morning to double check the correction seems to be working fine with my transfer. So maybe a transfer issue was also part of the problem I was having and has been addressed already.

Are you looking in the correct column?
Yes. Columns R and T are correct. Column V - "Points Borrowed" is the one that seems wrong.

Aneille said:
Also Lew has addressed the problem I was having above and it seems to be corrected.
Thank you, Aneille, for bringing the bug to my attention and working with me to help fix it. An updated version 4.2 is now available on my website.

LenDVC92 said:
Yes. Columns R and T are correct. Column V - "Points Borrowed" is the one that seems wrong.
I believe version 4.2 addresses the problem you are experiencing. Please download v4.2 and post your observations here.

Thanks...

4.2 fixed the problem.

I've been using this tool for a very long time, and appreciate all the work you've put into it.

Thanks again,
Len.

iankh said:
Great job Lew! And it works great on a Mac!
Thank you! I have heard from others that it works on the Mac...great!!

A milestone: It's been 24+ hours without a bug report... :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter