• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dvc owner transfer

jimim

DIS Veteran
One story short a friend got divorced and got her dvc in the settlement. Her husbands name is the one in the deed. She needs to have it switched over to her name. Can you guys give us some as I e on getting it switched over. The process she needs to go through.

Thanks so much everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

She should contact DVC Member Administration for their legal requirements.

:earsboy: Bill

What you describe is a transfer of ownership. Even if the divorce decree defined how the parties divide assets, she still needs to go through the legal process of changing the name on the deed. Until that's done, DVC and the county where the resort is located will still recognize the husband as the legal owner.

Like Bill said, DVC can guide her through the entire process. It will cost several hundred dollars--should be under $500. The ex will have to sign paperwork agreeing to the change of ownership.

The transfer can be completed cheaper with a quitclaim deed but your friend will either have to secure an attorney to assist or navigate those waters herself. DVC also has right of first refusal on all transfers of ownership. Even going the quitclaim route, she will have to get a waiver of ROFR from DVC before the transfer can be initiated. Again, more things to handle herself.

I'd contact MS by email and ask for the transfer information. That way you'll get it by email as attachments. The process goes something like this assuming no mortgage. While the paperwork may suggest they'll cancel existing reservations, they will not in this situation.

• Complete and send in first transfer form with the new names minus any being removed.
  • Receive waiver of ROFR and second transfer form
  • Record new deed, ROFR and do the applicable tax form (quit claim OK in this situation). The ex will need to sign the new deed as a "seller".
  • Send DVC a copy of the recorded deed and the completed second transfer form.
Cost around $50 for a single contract, let me know if you have more contracts. If you want someone to do part of it for you, the cheapest I know of is about $105 plus the recording fees.

I have a related question. My ex-husband and I have four contacts (all same resort). The divorce was final five months ago; the divorce decree states that he will sign a quitclaim deed. All four contracts are in both of our names. Can anyone offer any guidance on this?

I have a related question. My ex-husband and I have four contacts (all same resort). The divorce was final five months ago; the divorce decree states that he will sign a quitclaim deed. All four contracts are in both of our names. Can anyone offer any guidance on this?
IF they're truly separate contracts, you'll need 4 deeds from what I've been instructed. If they're smaller contracts bought together, you may still need to do them on separate deeds. Disney does have the ability to put the ROFR all on one document so that when you go to record, you won't have to do an extra $60 in recording. My suggestion would be to get the deeds done and have him sign them along with yourself. Remember you need TWO witnesses in addition to the notary. The notary can sign as a witness but must do so in the correct location. I'd follow the above suggestions adding the request to have ROFR all on one document. Then you'll just need to record the deed(s) and get the info back to DVC member admin. You'll have to be paid off but even if not, I'd still get the info and have him sign everything. Even if you have a mortgage, I'd go through everything and get him to sign off on the deeds and transfer forms. Even better would be some way to get it paid off once you have his signatures on everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter