dvc okw vs ssr

skb

Earning My Ears
ok i've tried to get a straight answer but it seems that whichever is the home resort wins- what if any r the major differences btw the two and what is the story with dedicated units?

OKW was the first DVC built and has larger units and the lowest points. SSR is the newest DVC and has 12 additional years. The dues for both are the lowest of all DVC resorts. They are similar in that they are not hotel style as are the other WDW DVC resorts. They have exterior halls and are more like condos than a hotel. These two resorts have the lowest points and dues ( besides BWV standard view.) We love SSR as is it a short walk to DTD and we enjoy the relaxed atmosphere when leaving the hustle and bustle of the parks. OKW which we have been to but never stayed at gives that same relaxed feel IMHO. Also OKW studios have 2 Q beds and SSR studios have a Q bed and a pullout couch. Basically its a matter of personal choice on where you buy. Hope this helps.

Do you have a favorite?

I love Old Key West but needed Disney financing so I bought at SSR, but I always book Old Key West.

Now I get to stay at Old Key West and have the extra years.
I feel good about it :goodvibes

Here's a link to the DIS page about OKW. It includes a link to a resort map, and pages about rooms, dining, transportation and recreation.
And a link to the same type of information for SSR.

Things that are the same at OKW and SSR:
  • both have a number of separate buildings that are not connected to the building where you check in
  • both have parking in front of the building you will be staying in
  • both have walking paths to DD
  • both have main pools with slides
  • both have bus transportation to get to all parks and have multiple bus stops.
  • both are located on waterways that lead to DD
  • both have boat service to DD
  • both have studio, one bedroom, two bedroom and Grand Villas.
  • both have fitness centers (although SSR's is larger).
  • both have bell service
  • you enter your villa from each from an outdoor hall
  • rooms are situated at both to not overlook parking lots
  • neither has room service
  • both have washers and dryers in 1 bedroom and larger units and free laundry for studios located by the pools
  • both have "General Stores"
  • both have kind of a pastel color scheme
  • both are DVC and have limited maid service for DVC members staying on points. You can purchase extra maid service at both, if you wish. At both, people who are not staying on points have the same daily maid service as at deluxe resorts.
Things that are different:
  • OKW buildings are 2 to 3 stories, and there are less villas per building. Each individual building at SSR is taller and larger = more units per building.
  • Each building at OKW has a parking area in front of that building, so parking is closer (exception is building 64, where you park in the lot across the street or for the next building down).
  • SSR has several buildings clustered around a large parking lot shared by that group of buildings.
  • All the SSR buildings have elevators. Only the 3 newest OKW buildings do.
  • OKW studios have 2 queen size beds. SSR studios have one queen bed and one double size sleeper sofa. (Someone else will have to answer whether or not any SSR studios have 2 beds like at OKW).
  • OKW individual villas are larger than the comparable villa at SSR.
    SSR studio = 355 sq ft; one bedroom = 714 sq ft; 2 bedroom = 1075 sq ft; grand villa = 2,133 sq ft
    OKW studio = 390 sq ft; one bedroom = 942 sq ft; 2 bedroom = 1395 sq ft; grand villa = 2,375 sq ft
  • Villas at OKW have windows on more than one side because of the way the buildings were planned with irregular shapes. SSR units are more uniformly rectangular and have windows only on the side opposite from where you enter your villa.
  • SSR villas have balconies that are long and narrow, with 2 chairs and a small end table.
  • OKW units have porches that are more square. They have ceiling fans and the one bedroom and larger units have 4 chairs and a table large enough to use for dining on the porch.
  • Bottom level villas at SSR have a patio. Bottom level villas at OKW have the same sort of porch with railings as the higher level units (the only difference is if you look out of a higher level porch, the ground is farther away).
  • OKW has a full service restaurant (Olivias) and a snack bar. SSR has a restaurant with counter service and pre-packaged food (like salads, etc).
  • SSR has a bar overlooking and right by the pool. OKW has a bar close to, but not overlooking the pool.
  • SSR has some rooms with DD views.
  • OKW has full size appliances and the refrigerator has an ice maker. SSR has smaller, apartment size appliances and no ice maker.
  • OKW washer and dryer are full size and are in an actual laundry room. SSR has smaller, stacked washer and dryer in a closet right in the living area.
  • OKW has a "beachy" feel. SSR has more of an outdoor, country theme.
  • SSR's main pool has a zero entry (there is sort of a gradual ramp to enter the pool).
    NOTE for people with disabilities: you can walk or roll right into the pool with zero entry, but the deepest part of the pool is only 3 feet 6 inches. We found that too shallow to take our DD who is disabled into the pool.
    Both resorts have some "bump steps" for transferring into the pool from a wheelchair.
  • SSR has a full spa.
  • SSR has a children's wet play area by the main pool (a sort of splash fountain area). OKW has a children's wading pool and a sand area for playing by the main pool.
  • SSR is still under construction.

SSR is much fancier than OKW.

DVC didn't have to do the utilities or break ground for SSR - so they spend the extra money inside it.

It is lovely.

I have say before - the GF put down in DD.

It is that lovely.

OKW is more laid back. I feel at home here. At SSR I was afraid to drop something. I am a messy person.... :guilty:

SSR is beautiful. but in my opinion OKW is more friendlier....

does that make sense.

spiceycat said:
SSR is much fancier than OKW.

DVC didn't have to do the utilities or break ground for SSR - so they spend the extra money inside it.

It is lovely.

I have say before - the GF put down in DD.

It is that lovely.

OKW is more laid back. I feel at home here. At SSR I was afraid to drop something. I am a messy person.... :guilty:

SSR is beautiful. but in my opinion OKW is more friendlier....

does that make sense.

Perfect Sense ;)

whats the scoop with dedicated units and how likely r u 2 get one?
either @ OKW OR SSR???
Both seem beautiful transportation better at one than the other??

Dedicated units are requests only. OKW has dedicated two bedroom villas. They usually assign these to people getting a 2 bedroom unless you request different.

Bus transportation is similar. Several bus stops throughout the resorts.

OKW has no dedicated studios.

but it does have dedicated 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom.

SSR has all 3 - studos, 1 and 2 bedroom dedicated.

both have GV which are dedicated by nature.

Neither OKW or SSR has any dedicated Studios or 1BR villas. All Studios and 1BR's are lock-offs at those resorts. VB and HH also have no dedicated Studios or 1BR villas. All other DVC resorts (BWV, VWL and BCV) do have some dedicated Studios and 1BR villas. BWV has no dedicated 2BR villas- all are lock-offs.

Here is the breakdown for each resort:

VWL - 20 Dedicated Studios - 27 Dedicated 1BR - 44 Dedicated 2BR - 45 Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 136 Units / 181 Max. Available Rooms

BWV - 97 Dedicated Studios - 130 Dedicated 1BR - 0 Dedicated 2BR - 149 Lockoffs - 7 Grand Villas = 383 Units / 532 Max. Available Rooms

(20% of BWV is standard view. 80% is preferred view. no one has breakdown)

OKW - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR - 274 Dedicated 2BR - 230 Lockoffs - 27 Grand Villas = 531 Units / 761 Max. Available Rooms

HHI - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR - 76 Dedicated 2R - 21 Lockoffs - 5 Grand Villas = 102 Units / 123 Max. Available Rooms

VB - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR - 18 Dedicated 2BR - 36 Lockoffs - 6 Beach Houses (Grand Villas) - 112 Inn Rooms = 172 Units / 208 Max. Available Rooms

BCV - 36 Dedicated Studios - 20 Dedicated 1BR - 78 Dedicated 2BR- 74 Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 208 Units / 282 Max. Available Rooms

SSR (Phase I,II- 12 buildings) - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR - 240 Dedicated 2BR - 288 Lockoffs - 24 Grand Villas = 552 Units / 840 Max. Available Rooms (When all 18 buildings are completed there will be 0 Dedicated Studios/1BR, 360 Dedicated 2BR, 432 Lock-offs, 36 GV's for t total of 828 Units/ 1260 Max. Available Rooms.)

skb said:
whats the scoop with dedicated units and how likely r u 2 get one?
either @ OKW OR SSR???
Both seem beautiful transportation better at one than the other??

You will very likely get one if you book it when you make your reservation.

SueM in MN said:
Here's a link to the DIS page about OKW. It includes a link to a resort map, and pages about rooms, dining, transportation and recreation.

• both have a number of separate buildings that are not connected to the building where you check in
  • both have bell service
  • both have washers and dryers in 1 bedroom and larger units and free laundry for studios located by the pools
  • both are DVC and have limited maid service for DVC members staying on points. You can purchase extra maid service at both, if you wish. At both, people who are not staying on points have the same daily maid service as at deluxe resorts.
  • OKW buildings are 2 to 3 stories, and there are less villas per building. Each individual building at SSR is taller and larger = more units per building.
  • Each building at OKW has a parking area in front of that building, so parking is closer (exception is building 64, where you park in the lot across the street or for the next building down).
  • SSR has several buildings clustered around a large parking lot shared by that group of buildings.
  • OKW studios have 2 queen size beds. SSR studios have one queen bed and one double size sleeper sofa. (Someone else will have to answer whether or not any SSR studios have 2 beds like at OKW).
    SSR studio = 355 sq ft; one bedroom = 714 sq ft; 2 bedroom = 1075 sq ft; grand villa = 2,133 sq ft
    OKW studio = 390 sq ft; one bedroom = 942 sq ft; 2 bedroom = 1395 sq ft; grand villa = 2,375 sq ft
  • Villas at OKW have windows on more than one side because of the way the buildings were planned with irregular shapes. SSR units are more uniformly rectangular and have windows only on the side opposite from where you enter your villa.
  • SSR villas have balconies that are long and narrow, with 2 chairs and a small end table.
  • OKW units have porches that are more square. They have ceiling fans and the one bedroom and larger units have 4 chairs and a table large enough to use for dining on the porch.
  • Bottom level villas at SSR have a patio. Bottom level villas at OKW have the same sort of porch with railings as the higher level units (the only difference is if you look out of a higher level porch, the ground is farther away).
  • OKW has a full service restaurant (Olivias) and a snack bar. SSR has a restaurant with counter service and pre-packaged food (like salads, etc).
  • SSR has a bar overlooking and right by the pool. OKW has a bar close to, but not overlooking the pool.
  • OKW has full size appliances and the refrigerator has an ice maker. SSR has smaller, apartment size appliances and no ice maker.
  • OKW washer and dryer are full size and are in an actual laundry room. SSR has smaller, stacked washer and dryer in a closet right in the living area.
  • SSR's main pool has a zero entry (there is sort of a gradual ramp to enter the pool).
    NOTE for people with disabilities: you can walk or roll right into the pool with zero entry, but the deepest part of the pool is only 3 feet 6 inches. We found that too shallow to take our DD who is disabled into the pool.
    Both resorts have some "bump steps" for transferring into the pool from a wheelchair.
  • SSR has a full spa.
  • SSR has a children's wet play area by the main pool (a sort of splash fountain area). OKW has a children's wading pool and a sand area for playing by the main pool.

Both of our units at SSR had full size kitchen appliances, where are there any smaller ones? We had a 2 bedroom unit.

Also I was not aware of laundry facilities at SSR for the studios except near the Main pool, do they have them near the quiet pools also. If so I did not see them at Congress Park.

OKW has a definite pastel color scheme, I would not consider SSR pastel. It is more the muted earth tones very popular today.

Sammie said:
I was not aware of laundry facilities at SSR for the studios except near the Main pool, do they have them near the quiet pools also. If so I did not see them at Congress Park.

Yes, there is a laundry facility at the Congress Park quiet pool.

OKW refrigerators are bigger than the others because the kitchen is so much bigger at OKW than the others.

PinotFan said:
Yes, there is a laundry facility at the Congress Park quiet pool.

Wow I missed that completely, guess since I did not need it, I just walked past it. Thanks!

I just purchased into DVC in September. I was also looking at OKW and SSR. At first, I was hung up on the extra 12 years at SSR. The I looked at the brochures and any other pics I could get of SSR. It was designed after Saratoga NY with a horses type theme. I did not feel like that was what I wanted when I went to Disney. Also, I have friends who have owned at OKW since 2001 and they love it. They love parking in front of their unit. They say it feels more like a condo than a hotel. The room sizes of OKW are much larger than any other DVC property. The resale price was also about $18 cheaper per point. We ended up buying into OKW.

SueM in MN said:

• both have bell service
  • SSR has a full spa.

Wow Sue nice list! You should post this on the factual list thread:
http://130.94.75.33/showthread.php?t=428249

WebmasterDoc said:
Neither OKW or SSR has any dedicated Studios or 1BR villas. All Studios and 1BR's are lock-offs at those resorts. VB and HH also have no dedicated Studios or 1BR villas. All other DVC resorts (BWV, VWL and BCV) do have some dedicated Studios and 1BR villas. BWV has no dedicated 2BR villas- all are lock-offs.

Here is the breakdown for each resort:

VWL - 20 Dedicated Studios - 27 Dedicated 1BR - 44 Dedicated 2BR - 45 Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 136 Units / 181 Max. Available Rooms

BWV - 97 Dedicated Studios - 130 Dedicated 1BR - 0 Dedicated 2BR - 149 Lockoffs - 7 Grand Villas = 383 Units / 532 Max. Available Rooms

(20% of BWV is standard view. 80% is preferred view. no one has breakdown)

OKW - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR - 274 Dedicated 2BR - 230 Lockoffs - 27 Grand Villas = 531 Units / 761 Max. Available Rooms

HHI - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR - 76 Dedicated 2R - 21 Lockoffs - 5 Grand Villas = 102 Units / 123 Max. Available Rooms

VB - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR - 18 Dedicated 2BR - 36 Lockoffs - 6 Beach Houses (Grand Villas) - 112 Inn Rooms = 172 Units / 208 Max. Available Rooms

BCV - 36 Dedicated Studios - 20 Dedicated 1BR - 78 Dedicated 2BR- 74 Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 208 Units / 282 Max. Available Rooms

SSR (Phase I,II- 12 buildings) - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1BR - 240 Dedicated 2BR - 288 Lockoffs - 24 Grand Villas = 552 Units / 840 Max. Available Rooms (When all 18 buildings are completed there will be 0 Dedicated Studios/1BR, 360 Dedicated 2BR, 432 Lock-offs, 36 GV's for t total of 828 Units/ 1260 Max. Available Rooms.)

Great summary Doc. Do you know the expected completion dates of phase II and III. I thought phase II was end of 2005 and phase III end of 2006?

Sammie said:
Both of our units at SSR had full size kitchen appliances, where are there any smaller ones? We had a 2 bedroom unit.
We had a one bedroom unit overlooking DD. I don't remember the number, but it was soon after opening, so it was in the Congress Park area.
Apartment size appliances are not that much smaller than regular ones, so many people may not notice the difference. If you are thinking of the "under counter" type, that's not what I'm talking about. It's still a refrigerator with a freezer, it's just not a large one. It's still a stove, but it may be 20-24 inches wide compared to 30 inches wide for a standard stove.
At OKW, they had more room to work with and could put in full size appliances. At the DVC resorts after that, they used the smaller size appliances because of the smaller space (and also probably found with surveys that people were not cooking that much in their rooms). There is nothing wrong or inferior about apartment size appliances, just to some people it makes a difference if they are doing a lot of cooking.
I don't know if this picture link will work, but it does show the smaller size (but very nice) appliances.
Also I was not aware of laundry facilities at SSR for the studios except near the Main pool, do they have them near the quiet pools also. If so I did not see them at Congress Park.
We didn't use it, but did walk past it.
OKW has a definite pastel color scheme, I would not consider SSR pastel. It is more the muted earth tones very popular today.
Pastel is maybe not the best word, but I got the "pastel" from something from DVC. I agree the colors are not the same at the 2 resorts, but both do have light colors.
I found something more specific that says it is "decorated in soft shades of seafoam green, sand, cream and pale yellow with dark wood furnishings and accents with a decidedly equine motif." I think that's a pretty good description.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter