DVC Occupancy Thread Part 2

this will most likely be moved to the occupancy thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2894661

and the answer is as above: 12 plus 1 under 3yo - so a GV wouldn't work for your party. i would do as amym2 said, and also book a studio, making sure both reservations say "traveling together" so the rooms are more apt to be somewhat close.

every person taking DME needs to be on the reservation.
also, anyone not listed on the room would not be eligible for extra magic hours.

hth:)

Putting this many people in a villa regardless of age doesn't seem too much like a comfortable vacation for me! The wear and tear on the villa also concerns me as this will impact my dues and I am keeping my villa at the occupancy or less. Also, the strain on the resort pools, restaurants, etc. I know it has all been said before...but I think it is worth repeating on occasion.

Putting this many people in a villa regardless of age doesn't seem too much like a comfortable vacation for me! The wear and tear on the villa also concerns me as this will impact my dues and I am keeping my villa at the occupancy or less. Also, the strain on the resort pools, restaurants, etc. I know it has all been said before...but I think it is worth repeating on occasion.

I suppose there may be a good argument that there is a positive correlation between (x) number of people in a villa and (y) the wear and tear of the Villa and additional crowd level at the resort. Here is what you get with MY family of 14: (i) we get to the room at around 10 PM, go to sleep, wake up, and leave the resort by 8AM...then repeat, (ii) we don't touch/move anything in the resort room at all, except for maybe the remote control and shower/sinks, (iii) we are very mindful of noise control, (iv) we don't eat or make messes in the rooms, (v) we are very respectful to everyone and (vi) when we check-out, we leave things almost in the exact place and condition as when we checked in (other than used towels, which we neatly place in the tub).

Some may say that this may sound like to the most boring family in the world, or that we are not taking advantage of the resort, be we are there for the parks and act as we should at the parks and in restuarants. Given that we would be potentially saving a much needed additional Studio for another DVC member to rent, I would say we are exactly the type of family of 14 that you and every other DVC'er would want in a Villa. ;)

...Given that we would be potentially saving a much needed additional Studio for another DVC member to rent, I would say we are exactly the type of family of 14 that you and every other DVC'er would want in a Villa. ;)

Sorry, DVC really doesn't want a family of 14 in a Grand Villa. Occupancy is limited to 12 plus one under the age of three.

We really want Diane's family of four (I think that's what she has) in the GV she reserved for the holidays.

Some may say that this may sound like to the most boring family in the world, or that we are not taking advantage of the resort, be we are there for the parks and act as we should at the parks and in restuarants. Given that we would be potentially saving a much needed additional Studio for another DVC member to rent, I would say we are exactly the type of family of 14 that you and every other DVC'er would want in a Villa. ;)

The occupancy limits are what they are. We all agreed to abide by them and all other DVC rules when we signed the notarized purchase agreements. Lack of ID cards and use of ME is a tool to help enforce those limits.

On a personal note, when I sign my name to something I will do my very best to live up to those agreements or my word is basically worthless.

And a reminder that the DISBoards do not permit discussing ways of working around established and published Disney or DVC policies.

I am pretty new to the boards, so any help is appreciated or redirection to another forum if I'm in the wrong spot. I have a grand gathering of 8 adults and 2 children under 3 headed to WDW in ***** of ****. The two elder couples are worried that their snoring will keep others awake. The parents of the two children want some space for naps, etc. DMIL would like to be able to cook a few meals while there. We are looking for the most affordable option, but the ability to be close together is a balancing weight. Another forum suggested that I look into DVC as an option instead of two cabins at Fort Wilderness. So where might our group fit best? Would a treehouse at SSR be too small? What is a grand villa set up like? Would something else I don't know about work? We're bot DVC members, so how many points for these, or how much would it cost for us to rent points stay there per night? And if they happened to do free dining during our stay, would renting from DVC keep us out of that option? I know I've got lots of questions, but TIA for anything you can do to help us search out options! We are so excited to share WDW as a big family!

Travel dates removed - Chuck S

I am pretty new to the boards, so any help is appreciated or redirection to another forum if I'm in the wrong spot. I have a grand gathering of 8 adults and 2 children under 3 headed to WDW in ***** of ****. The two elder couples are worried that their snoring will keep others awake. The parents of the two children want some space for naps, etc. DMIL would like to be able to cook a few meals while there. We are looking for the most affordable option, but the ability to be close together is a balancing weight. Another forum suggested that I look into DVC as an option instead of two cabins at Fort Wilderness. So where might our group fit best? Would a treehouse at SSR be too small? What is a grand villa set up like? Would something else I don't know about work? We're bot DVC members, so how many points for these, or how much would it cost for us to rent points stay there per night? And if they happened to do free dining during our stay, would renting from DVC keep us out of that option? I know I've got lots of questions, but TIA for anything you can do to help us search out options! We are so excited to share WDW as a big family!

DVC reservations do not qualify for free dining, you only get free dining with a full priced, non-discounted cash room.

A Grand villa is a 3 bedroom unit, I think most have a similar bed arrangement. At OKW you have a King bad, sleeper sofa and sleeper chair on the first floor, a bedroom with 2 queen beds and a bedroom with two full-sized beds on the upper floor.

For the number of points required, it will vary by resort and travel dates. There is a points calculator on David's Rentals website you can use to see how many points you'd need.

A tree house villa is probably not the best set up for your group with 8 adults, as one of the bedrooms has bunk beds.

Another less expensive option that would give you more room would be to get two reservations, a two bedroom unit and a studio at OKW. This would give you more room, and you'd have one kitchen you could use for the group...though the studio would not connect to the two bedroom unit, it would be a separate room.

Chuck S said:
The occupancy limits are what they are. We all agreed to abide by them and all other DVC rules when we signed the notarized purchase agreements. Lack of ID cards and use of ME is a tool to help enforce those limits.

On a personal note, when I sign my name to something I will do my very best to live up to those agreements or my word is basically worthless.

And a reminder that the DISBoards do not permit discussing ways of working around established and published Disney or DVC policies.

For the record, I am not suggesting any work around of the rules. I simply provided a counterpoint to the argument that higher occupancy means more wear and tear (e.g. would you want the Brady Bunch packed into a 2BR Villa (which I now know is not allowed because there is more than 1 child over three) or the cast of 5 from Hangover? Extreme example , I know.

And one more point that can be up for debate on occupancy, if I my family of 14 rented out a GV and a Studio, yet in order to stay together we left the Studio idle and spent the entire time together in the GV, I imagine there would be mixed feelings on that.

I just want to make sure I have this straight. We are looking to go June of 2014. We are currently a family of 4 (me, dh, dd 1 (3) dd 2 (3)) we are foster parents and were offered 11 month old twins for a possible long term placement. We said yes with some conditions. So we will be six with two under three. So we should be ok in a one bedroom at kidani right? I still might try to get a two bedroom for the room but I have to figure out the points.
Thanks

And one more point that can be up for debate on occupancy, if I my family of 14 rented out a GV and a Studio, yet in order to stay together we left the Studio idle and spent the entire time together in the GV, I imagine there would be mixed feelings on that.
To me there are 2 issues, that of honestly following the rules and that of the reality of damages with wear and tear. Here are a few disclaimers. One is that rules have to fall to the least common denominator so while you're family of 14 might be better than another family of 8, on average that will not be the case. Another is that while there are other factors that affect wear and tear, they are meaningless in the discussion of this issue because this issue is additive to everything else. For example, the age of the guests likely affects the wear and tear but that doesn't mean anything because the wear and tear for stuffing a room is additive to all other wear and tear. Lastly, don't let anyone tell you that members are better because they "own" DVC. I might buy it for a fixed week, fixed unit timeshare but DVC owners are equivalent to a someone getting a rental car. My suspicion is that renters actually are better than owners because they often are going less or maybe a once in a lifetime trip.

Travel dates removed - Chuck S
I would likely get a 2 BR and studio for this group or a 3 BR GV. I don't think the THV will work well for this group as a single options.

I just want to make sure I have this straight. We are looking to go June of 2014. We are currently a family of 4 (me, dh, dd 1 (3) dd 2 (3)) we are foster parents and were offered 11 month old twins for a possible long term placement. We said yes with some conditions. So we will be six with two under three. So we should be ok in a one bedroom at kidani right? I still might try to get a two bedroom for the room but I have to figure out the points.
Thanks
OK for a 1 BR at Kidani but not for all 1 BR units and not for studios.

Dean said:
To me there are 2 issues, that of honestly following the rules and that of the reality of damages with wear and tear. Here are a few disclaimers. One is that rules have to fall to the least common denominator so while you're family of 14 might be better than another family of 8, on average that will not be the case. Another is that while there are other factors that affect wear and tear, they are meaningless in the discussion of this issue because this issue is additive to everything else. For example, the age of the guests likely affects the wear and tear but that doesn't mean anything because the wear and tear for stuffing a room is additive to all other wear and tear. Lastly, don't let anyone tell you that members are better because they "own" DVC. I might buy it for a fixed week, fixed unit timeshare but DVC owners are equivalent to a someone getting a rental car. My suspicion is that renters actually are better than owners because they often are going less or maybe a once in a lifetime trip.

I do agree with all that. I treat other's property as I would my own, but I know that is not the case for all.

I do agree with all that. I treat other's property as I would my own, but I know that is not the case for all.
I think I actually treat other's property even better than I treat my own. All the proof you need for how people take rules is obtainable by simply getting out on the roads and driving. And the PC approach makes it 10 times worse.

For the record, I am not suggesting any work around of the rules. I simply provided a counterpoint to the argument that higher occupancy means more wear and tear (e.g. would you want the Brady Bunch packed into a 2BR Villa (which I now know is not allowed because there is more than 1 child over three) or the cast of 5 from Hangover? Extreme example , I know.

I will say this, no matter how many you have in a villa, teen aged girls are pigs (at least from my experience). We had 11 people in a GV, seven teen aged girls and I was embarassed for the housekeepers to enter their rooms. Thank goodness we were only there for seven nights and had no full cleanings.
I Am Flynn Rider said:

I think I'd get two studios for the elderly adults who are concerned about their snoring and a two bedroom villa for the two families with children. And include traveling with in the reservation to try to get them close to each other.

Can we book a AKV 1 bedroom value with a family of 5? Is there a chance to get a Savannah view with a 1BR Value? If so, what are chances? Thanks!

Can we book a AKV 1 bedroom value with a family of 5? Is there a chance to get a Savannah view with a 1BR Value? If so, what are chances? Thanks!

The value one bedrooms do not have the sleeper chair, so I think they are pretty much limited to 4, plus an infant under age 3.

Deb & Bill said:
I will say this, no matter how many you have in a villa, teen aged girls are pigs (at least from my experience). We had 11 people in a GV, seven teen aged girls and I was embarassed for the housekeepers to enter their rooms. Thank goodness we were only there for seven nights and had no full cleanings.

I think I'd get two studios for the elderly adults who are concerned about their snoring and a two bedroom villa for the two families with children. And include traveling with in the reservation to try to get them close to each other.

What about 2 2br lockoffs? That would work really well. The elders could have the studio portions. The parents of the children each get a private bedroom. The babies each get a pack and play in the living rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter