DVC member site not working for me- is it my Mac?

mowog

Mouseketeer
Hi: Trying to access the DVC member site and it doesn't work very well. I've tried different browsers but some areas just don't respond. Do I need a PC to use the site? I'm using a mac with OS X

Thanks, Bob

P.S. every other disney site seems to work for me with no problem!

I tried to get on it today and it wouldn't work for me either after I logged in. I couldn't click on anything to open it.

I am using Mac OS X

I guess we should go out and buy PC's. I went to Circuit City last week to buy a printer and the kid didn't know what a G5 was and he said they don't sell Macs because they're "not good" Needless, to say, I left there without buying a printer.

Let me know if you are able to navigate the site.

No don't go out and buy a PC. Us Mac users have to show the world what a great computer we use!
It IS pretty sad that clerks in some stores don't know about what all is out there. (p.s., look into Epson, they sell them in the Apple Stores)
Over the weekend, DH couldn't get the member site links to work either. But being the "computer god" that he is, he was able to go up to the View menu, then view source, which gave all the codes. He found the url, which he cut and pasted, and was able to get to the different areas. (I had to ask him what he did as I typed this. I'm just barely computer literate!)
There was a thread over the weekend, that other Mac users were mentioning that this problem has been cropping up, and I think someone contacted Disney to let them know. Hope they fix it soon!:wave2:

Originally posted by floridafam
I guess we should go out and buy PC's.
Don't bother. It doesn't work for us (PC folks) either ... unless you are willing to run IE (ewww!).

It is (at least in part) because you're using a Mac.
It is NOT because there's anything wrong with your Mac.

It's because they hired a bunch of nimrods to design their web site. Nearly all web sites work just fine for Macs. What is failing (clicking on links) is so basic it's hard to imagine they could have fouled it up, especially since it USED to work! Any competent web programmer could fix it in 30 minutes or less.

BTW, just the last week I've not been able to access reservations on the DCL site. I suspect these same nimrods stuck their thumb in that one too.

I just had to laugh when I saw this thread.

There are people down here who don't even know what I'm talking about when I say "Mac.":rolleyes:

Maybe they will fix the DVC website soon. I'm not holding my breath.

I mentioned the problem to MS when I spoke to them (I'm also running OSX and didn't have a problem until recently). He said they were aware there was a Mac problem. This was last week. I am surprised they haven't fixed it by now (cleaning off my rose colored glasses now).

I have been having the same problem myself using OS X and a variety of browsers.

Of course, a number of people have reported having similar difficulties using various Windows-based browsers as well, so please hold on to that Mac! :)

This problem did not seem to coincide with the DVC Member site redesign but, rather, to crop up at some point a couple of weeks later.

It is, of course, completely unacceptable and uneccessary for this sort of thing to happen. It is entirely the product of a third rate development effort.

I have called Member Services about this a number of times, been told that someone would get back to me, and no one ever does.

I certainly think that it would be a good idea for anyone experiencing this problem to call Member Services, ask to speak to one of the agents specializing in web site issues, and let them know that it is still an issue and that it is negatively affecting many of their customers.

I tried to find a link on the Disney site to send feedback/trouble reports to but it looks like the assume that their site is perfect, no link/e-mail to send problems to (looks like they think all problem are caused by the user and not them). I checked at network solutions to see if they had any contacts there but the e-mail address looks like it goes in the garbage.

I have been following this thread with great interest....not because I'm having any trouble with my PC, but because I'm thinking of switching to Mac. DD is a graphic design major and we bought her a Powerbook for graduation. I used it over the summer to access the DVC website without any trouble, so just as Wireboy said, it must be something that just started recently. Hope they get it fixed soon.

The problem coincided with a site update. It's a problem with all browsers with the Mac except for iCab which represents the site horribly. iCab is programmed straight to the latest version of HTML and will even tell you if a site is HTML compliant. So if you need to get in, download iCab. I've also tried a number of other browsers including netscape, Camino and firefox. The problems are either that the info below the banner doesn't even show OR if it shows, the links in it don't work.

I too have found that the site that it no longer works properly on OS X with Safari, FireFox, Opera, OmniWeb, or Internet Explorer. iCab kind of works, but it looks terrible -- everything is messed up but at least the links work.

Nice work, Disney!

Floridafam, I've found Circuit City folks to be clueless which is probably why their test market of Apple products crashed and burned. Try Compusa if you have one and another vote for the Epson here. Sometimes peripheral pricing is cheaper than the Apple Store.
They are also an Apple reseller however knowledge is only good if you have it and some of their sales reps have been clueless as well. ;)

I noticed the same issue with the DCL reservations portion of the site, DVC and previously I'd reported issues with the AP member site as well. I'm running dual 2 GHz G5 OS X v. 10.3.5. Disney suggested using IE (not in this lifetime thank you very much) which translates into them having an issue with Mozilla/Safari I suppose. I was going to try Opera (which I use on my old PC vs. IE) The issue isn't your Mac but how they coded their site. Very unfortunate since it worked previously. This is the message that I received when I reported the problem with the AP member site:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

We have advised our technical team of your challenge with the Safari browser and they are working to
correct it. Until this can be
addressed, please use IE to access this area.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

oops I just saw Opera doesn't work from kgforce's post - - thanks Dean and kgforce for the other suggestion

Bella2000:
Thanks for posting about your problems with AP part of Disney site. I also had problems and Disney's response was that I should empty cache, blah, blah. IE doesn't work either. The e-mail response I got about the DVC site was at least 10 days ago. They surely are in no hurry to fix this. Sad case of poor customer service, and very UN-Disneylike!

Heavens! You mean there are actually some misguided DVCers who don't use the genuine Microsoft Internet Explorer browser running under genuine Microsoft Windows XP? Should such people even be allowed to own DVC points?

Actually, as I wrote in another thread, if a website properly complies with the published standards for HTML, Java, and Javascript, it will work properly on any platform, regardless of the which browser and regardless of which version of Windows, Mac OS, or Unix.

Heavens! You mean there are actually some misguided DVCers who don't use the genuine Microsoft Internet Explorer browser running under genuine Microsoft Windows XP? Should such people even be allowed to own DVC points?
I know how can we even visit Florida with our serious lack of handling bugs and such :p
Actually, as I wrote in another thread, if a website properly complies with the published standards for HTML, Java, and Javascript, it will work properly on any platform, regardless of the which browser and regardless of which version of Windows, Mac OS, or Unix.
Exactly! Very shoddy work. Clearly some QC issues as I experienced bad code even when I was using my substandard PC. ;)

Joking aside I did send a note to the site re DVC this time and I'll try to post the reply that I receive (when i receive it).

Originally posted by Dean
The problem coincided with a site update.

Just curious about the onset of this problem.

Dean, are you referring to the big update which brought us the new design or a subsequent, minor :-))) update?

I was able to use the new site for a number of weeks (the specific dates escape me) before the current problems started getting in the way.

Anyone else?

For giggles and grins, I sent an email to DVC Wednesday night, letting them know about this problem, (Even mentioned the email link wasn't working) Here's the reply I received today:

Thank you for contacting Member Services.

Currently, we are having issues with our members like yourself who are using Apple Computers to view the Disney Vacation Club Member Website. Currently we are addressing this problem, and will
hopefully have a fix as soon as possible.

We'll see if anything gets done. If we don't see any improvements within the next few days, I'll send them another message. Actually, I think we all should send them a message, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

:wave2:

Why am I so stupid!!! I am kicking myself now that I know what is happening. Since Eisner and Jobs (Pixar) are not getting along he's making all of us Mac users suffer!

Any computer that you have to go to "start" to make it "stop" should tell you something- I've had enough problems with the plug and pray PC at home that I'm getting ready to use as a boat anchor.

Bob and Jean -powerbook G3 and G4 and G5 Imac ready to be ordered for Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter