• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Member Burnout?

Although we just signed on for DVC we felt that even if we did burn out over the years our children would be wanting to take their kids or we could stay at other Disney Resorts such as HH and Vero and hey who knows what the future brings as far as resorts go??? It would also be neat to send a family who maybe could not afford to go without using our points...So many possibilities that is what is nice about DVC.

Disney Burnout?

Sometimes when we visit WDW 3 times in one year, we say that's enough and that we will skip next year... that feeling lasts about 6 months or so and then the yearning to go back hits me and my kids.

This was my year to skip WDW and the "rebound" trip planning ballooned into a 18 day land and sea trip in August! :rotfl:

I get Disney Burnout between day 7 and day 11 depending on how long we stay! I have now learned to keep our trips shorter and just go more freqently!:)

We have started going regularly to Disney for the past couple years and I absolutely cannot imagine getting burned out. I've always been a bit of a Disney-freak, so we bought DVC so we could have wonderful vacations for me...in addition to DD, of course. That said, DH much prefers cruising to the parks, so a good compromise that we've settled on is to cruise every other year, and go to the parks during the year that we're not cruising. However, now that we own DVC, I can foresee our cruise vacations becoming land/sea vacacations but as long as I keep the land portion less than the cruise portion during our "cruise" years, I'm hoping that DH won't balk. :rolleyes1

However, I will agree with many of you that our park vacations have evolved quite a bit. Now that I know that we'll be back to Disney the next year, there is so much less pressure to try and tour commando-style. We hit the highlights, and go back to our resort to chill out for the afternoon/night. Disney has become an actual vacation instead of a stress causer. :banana:

I think some factors involved which prevent my family from "burnout" are: staying at different DVC resorts each trip, most trips are only 5 nights so when you have to leave you realize what you missed and will have to do it next trip, and eating at different restaurants which includes trying new locations. Some things never seem to get old like: the Food and Wine Festival, the parade during MNSSHP, the MNSSHP event itself, Le Cellier, Nine Dragons, Jelly Rolls, Pirates of the Caribbean, Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Kiliminjaro's Safari, etc.. I better stop, I'm getting "homesick" even though my next trip is only one week away!!!! :yay:

While my son and I absolutely love Disney, DVC is much more than Disney. As Floridians personally I've been to Disney 50+ times, and with DS12 at least 15 times but our vacations no longer just center around the parks. We're way done with the commando thing and now it's more abouth the resorts and Orlando. I'm tired of Disney food and at this point we only do our favorite rides, I don't even buy AP's anymore.

We go to the resort of choice at the time and have dinner out (Orlando has some wonderful eateries and restaurants). We shop the outlets, go to the movies, whatever, it's become more about family time than the park, parks, parks.

I can't wait to go to HH, currently DS school schedule has not coincided with 7 month ability but there's a trip in the future. Even when DS12 dosen't want to do the resorts I will still go and enjoy myself. So, no to answer your question, I don't suffer from burnout at all, I keep looking forward to the next trip and the trip after that.

By the same token we also vacation outside of the DVC environment! My only limitations as far as traveling is vacation time and money, otherwise I'm set!

We kind of get that way every once in a while. When we do, we own other timeshares so we mix up our trips. That helps a lot.

We may skip renewing our Disney annual passes next year. I think we are going to do a trip to Williamsburg, VA, and Hilton Head, SC, instead and stay at Marriott Vacation Club and only do one Orlando DVC trip next year to let us take a break from Disney.

We're only doing one DVC trip next yr also, the annual Thanksgiving trip. We're doing 2 weeks in HI, then will probably fill in of the 4 day weekends or Spring Break with one of our other TS's.

Getting to the point that the kids would rather go to VB, than WDW..

To the OP, my boys are old than your gang though. They're 8 and soon to be 13.

We bought AKV in Dec 2008. Then we REALLY got the "bug". We were once a year before then. In April of this year we used 1/2 our developer points at SSR. Then we randomly booked GREAT AP rate at Coronado for the first SWW 6 days out and went. We are using the other half of our developer points for a week in Sept at SSR. Then I got a pin code yesterday and we booked Dec 3rd-6th at ASMu. We are staying at AKV for the first in Jan 2010 and running the half and then after our Eastern Carib. cruise for our honeymoon in July of 2010 we are returning for a DVC stay for 7 days. (Keep in mind we are open to those deals and don't only stay on points. The ASMu rate was 49 a night!)

Its worse after every trip. Its our passion and we love it. Each trip is different--we are no longer "commando". Its a real get away.

Granted we live in NC so we just drive the 8 hrs and have AP's so our trips are relativly cost effective but---

I just love the Mouse. :thumbsup2

I can't imagine we will ever suffer Disney burnout. There are too many variables to make each trip a different experience. Switching up our dining or resort stay, attending parties, going at different times of the year, doing some of the tours and going with friends and family...it really changes up our vacations each time and makes them all unique. I was going to Disneyland for years, then WDW when that opened and haven't gotten sick of either all these years later. My kids inherited the sickness :rotfl: and when the grandbabies come along, I hope to brainwash them Disney style too.

"Brain Washing Disney Style" is what I've done to my family! First, I put the magical spell on my wife. I'm currently brain washing my 2 year old daughter. She is 28 months old and has been to Disney World 12 times and Disneyland once. When our Disney bus rolls into the bus station at the Magic Kingdom, she yells out "yay" when she sees the top of the castle. Everyone on the bus always gets a big kick out of her response. :)

So far so go. I would have to say that I rarely get burned out, it's probably more that I want to visit other places. I know people say you don't get the most out of your points if you trade out but every once in a while we love trading out and visiting other places.

Now with my kids starting college the way we use it will probably change and lately I've been a bit discouraged by little things I see at the world but I've always had great vacations there.

So in answer to your question. haven't gotten burnt out yet, but enjoy taking a break every once in a while

We are one of the first members, 1991 and have not experienced "burn-out", in fact if anything we love it more every year. Honestly I had my doubts way back because my kids were very young and I figured they would start to not want to go when they became teens and beyond, but it never happened. I really believe it is because we don't experience the same type of vacations that we did when they were little. You all know what I'm talking about, the characters, character dinners, breakfasts, etc. We changed our "style" sort to speak as the kids got older. We haven't been up early in forever (well, I guess I should count last August when my daughter and I did a Keys to the Kingdom Tour and were in MK for the opening, hadn't done that in YEARS!), we have our favorite restaurants and make dinner a major event. We are always the last people in a restaurant. I have found that this is my favorite time with my family, whether it's at Disney, on a cruise, or other type of vacation. We seem to really connect over dinner and in today's busy world with all of us going in different directions all year, it'
s something I treasure very much. We ride what we like, take our time, and laugh at all the commando people running from one thing to another. I'm not saying that this will work for everyone, but I wanted to give another view. Families are all different, some won't continue to enjoy Disney as much as mine and that's ok. I think my kids grew up thinking that Mickey and Minnie were their relatives and they honestly think of Disney as their second home. I also think that because my brother and his family became Disney nuts too (they now own a vacation home near Disney) we are all one big happy family and all of us enjoy spending time together. I look forward to the day when I can take my grandbabies to Disney and do all the character dinners, etc. all over again!! The bottom line is that whatever works for your family is just fine. I think the key is to find something somewhere where every family member can enjoy themselves. In the end it's the time you spend together NOT where you spend it. It can be in your won backyard.

Enjoy The Magic!!

Some of our trips seem to maybe get a little blurred (after 40 plus visits) but it remains the same; the moment we are leaving from our most recent trip, we miss it already (and can't wait to get back).

DH and I would definitely burnout if we were doing 6 or 7 trips per year like the OP. We have averaged one or two trips per year since joining in 2002. We have reached the point where we are considering not renewing our annual passes when we go in January and just do a no parks vacation. Maybe by January though, we will feel differently and be ready for the parks again.

I thought the same thing as well. We go once a year (usually) - last year was rare, we went twice in 2008. I think if it is going to happen, the rate of burnout is proportional to the amount of trips you make per year. The magic's still alive for us! :goodvibes

We go 4 weeks per year and haven't burned out. In fact, I'm considering buying some more points this week.

Go through about 50 winters in the northeast - that the real definition of Burnout!

We have been going for 12 years ever since my son was 2 and right now he is Googling the disney parks to look at the attractions. I doubt we will ever burnout. Although we do get frustrated with the crowds at times. But if the crowds are too much, we just go back to SAB and cool off (assuming we can find a lounge chair):rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter