DVC Marathoners?

TiggerFreak

Never goes gankin on the Internizzle
So how many of us DVC'ers that went last month and participated in the Marathon/Half Marathon are going again next year?

How did those who went this year finish?

It is my intention to make the Half an annual traddition, it is a good complement to the other annual visit for the Food&WineFestival. Runnuing/trianing for the Half keeps all that food from sticking around . . . . . my waistline:eek:

Any DVC'ers planning on running the Flying Pig this year?

We don't run the marathon but we do go down so my husband can do the Great Floridian every year-around Food and Wine time.

We are going down to VB from PCB after the Gulf Coast Triathlon in May.

Have you ever thought about adding on swimming and biking and becoming a triathlete?:D

I am thinking of running the half marathon at Disney next year. I have a friend that ran the marathon there this year. She recommended staying at a monorail resort because it was so easy to get to the starting line. She said others staying on-site had to take a bus and some were on the bus more than an hour because the traffic was so bad. What was your experience this year? Any other tips or suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Donna

Hi Donmil723,

Yes the transportation after the race is pretty hairy to say the best. I can only speak for the Half which I have knowledge of fot the last two years. It finishes in the MK lot across from the Poly and both years I finished in the largest group. Last year took me 2 hours to get back to OKW, this year DW met me at finish and had parked in the MK lot, traffic was terrible but it only took 40 minutes to get back to OKW. Next year I will stay at VWL and hope the finish is in the same spot. Then it would be a 10-15 minute liesurely walk to VWL. As far as the full Marathon goes, maybe others can relate their experiences.

BTW, beat last years time of 2:34:21 by almost 15 minutes with a finish of 2:19:58. Hoping to break 2:00 in 2004:smooth:

Vbfamily,

I can't swim across Silver Springs Pool, so a TRI will not be in my future, but I would love to try a run/cycle Biathalon sometime. This year I am running a full for the first time(FlyingPig in May). Have a local 10 mile (The CRIM in Flint, MI) I plan to run this summer. Looking for a race this fall, so maybe I can find a Run/Cycle Biathalon.

TiggerFreak, hope this gives you a chuckle- I just read your answer fast, and was about to report a star Marathoner among us! I thought you ran a 2:19 Marathon, and were hoping to break the 2 hr Marathon next year. DH used to be a Marathoner in the late 80's, and no one could break 2 hours for a Marathon. Has anyone yet? Only 1/2 Marathon DH did was New Bedford (RI).

Simba's Mom,

What a hoot!
Not sure about breaking 2:00 for a full but the winner of the Full was finished before I finished the Half. Same thing happened last year.

If I can only keep running 15 minutes faster every year, for the the next 10 years, I'll eventually get to the finish before I start:p

... if I saw a jogger with a smile on his/her face I'd consider running. But that pained look they always have reminds me to be thankful for my car.

My husband tried to enter for the 1/2 marathon but we were told that they could not accept any more runners. When do you have to register and how?

Tripletvan,

Registration starts 3-1-2003 and if it follows the same patern as last year will probably be filled up in less than 2 weeks:eek:
Last year they started a system where only so many slots where available to Florida resididents, so many to US non FL residents, so many to foreign, etc, etc. But the bulk of the opennings went to packages (Hotel,air & ParkPasses) and those running for charities. The "Team In Training" program sponsered by the Luekemia/Lymphoma Society has a HUGE (5000+?)presence at the WDW Marathon.

My advice is if DH is interested, download the "special" registration for CastMembers/DVCMembers as soon as they open registration and mail it the same day. CM's and DVC members receive a very nice discount.

You can always wait and run for any number of worthy charities, many will pay part or all of your cost (air, lodging, registraion) based on the amount of money you can raise. Last yeat on the plane ride I sat next to a man who raised $5000.00. All he had to pay out of pocket was park passes and food;)

KNWVIKING,

We are only grimacing on the outside:p
Inside we are smiling:smooth:

If all us runners were to wear happy faces, all you nonrunners would think we were having fun, then we would have to share our solitude:p

So you just keep thinking we are putting ourselves through agony and stay there on the couch;)

Watch out though, it seems that runners are as ferverent and evangilistic in their beliefs as reformed smokers:eek:

My DH and I ran our first marathon and half marathon this year at Disney and had a great time!

As you can see by my SN , I am a tennis player NOT a runner. I decided to run the half while my husband ran the full. I will do ANYTHING to get to Disney :).

We had a wonderful time and we are thinking of doing the half again next year. I have this nagging plantar faciatias ( sp ?) and it is very painful.

DH and I wore our Mickey/Donald medals around Epcot afterwards and were just beaming with pride.

My favorite moment was when we were running below the bridge and saw everyone ON the bridge BEHIND me !!!! I wasn't last!
There was never a dull moment.

Did you see the 25 mile marker at about our 2 mile mark? Everyone was taking their pic by it. I had to laugh.

Another favorite moment was when I saw a girl grab a tongue depresser full of vasoline ( thinking it was Gu ) and putting the whole thing in her mouth !!! Everyone was really laughing then.

I got a little misty every time a cancer survivor passed me.

The busses :
DH and I were staying at the BC ( DVC 3 day incentive package) and loaded the buses at 3:50am....yes , am.
The ride was long BUT I liked it because the bus was WARM.
I would rather wait on a warm bus than sit on the black top in the Epcot parking lot.

Hope to see you next year.
Susan

I ran the Half in 2002 and DH has promised to run with me in 2004 (had to take 2003 off becuase I am carting around some extra weight in the middle these days in the form of a litte baby girl who is due to arrive in early May). Since I was in great shape before I had to stop running this past fall and have kept up lots of walking (and DH is NOT by any means a runner) hopefully we will be able to run together! --and yes--running under the bridge and seeing all the people behing me was the BEST feeling since I am a slow runner and had feared finisheing LAST! LOL! I ran with a really good friend on mine who had for YEARS run marathons and TRI-s and said Disney was by far the best organized race he had ever seen.

Anyone interested in DVC pace teams next year?
Not that I have had any expierence in this but I've heard it can work well.

Tennisnut,

DS & I also saw someone eat a mouthfill of vasiline. :p :p :p
At least they weren't getting chapped lips;)
That was a HOOT.

Hope all will make it next year!

DVC pace teams--now that is an idea!! I thought it was pretty funny last year. I ran at an almost constant 12 minute mile pace for the entire race without even trying. and that is for EVERY mile (the ones that we ran the whole way, the ones where we raced into the restrooms and out, the ones where we stopped for a photo op with Chip and Dale...) we would pass a mile marker and I would check my watch and it was always almost exactly 12 minutes.. it was very strange.. LOL! my goal was to finish under 3 hours and I came in a respectable 2:49 for someone who would qualify as a very new runner....

oh--and be careful of the people handing out the vaseline!!! my running partner ran a marathon in DC a few years back where he grabbed a handfull of what he thought was vaseline off of a race volunteer and stuck it down his shorts only to find out that it was that liquid HEAT stuff (like ben gay...)!!! needless to say he was quite a site trying to run and wipe the stuff off in the middle of the street with some tissues--he was lucky there was a medical tent near by!!! :) he can look back now and laugh but at the time... OUCH!

Tigger2esq,

So does that mean your friend started running at a blazing pace:eek:
That is even funnier than the vasiline story.

Last year was my first long distance race, before that I had only done 5K's. Was it ever a learning experience. Now I have a whole list of things I take to races. The two top items are "Body Glide" for the places that rub and a plastic garbage bag. I would have paid $50.00 for one last year when I was out there in 45 degree 20 mph wind freezing my laces off.

I'll remember to ask whats on the end of the stick before I put it anywhere:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe after registration opens we can get a head count of DVC members?

I ran the half and managed to complete it in 1:54:39. I’ve run a boatload of 5-K’s and 5 milers, but this was my first real distance race.

Overall I have to say it was a lot of fun, but it does have its pros and cons. Granted, waking up and getting to the line for the 6:00 AM start is a little rough (especially considering the buses leave the resorts @ 4:00AM ) But on the flip side of that, being able to run through the World Showcase in the early dawn with all the pavilions lit up and the music playing made it (in my opinion) all worth while.

The other neat part was being able to run through all the backstage area at EPCOT and the Magic Kingdom. Half the time I was so busy looking around that I didn’t even realize how far I was running.

I totally agree with TiggerFreak about the two top items being garbage bags and ‘body glide” I was 1 for two on those items, bringing along a garbage bag that I tore off and discarded after mile marker three. That was a lifesaver. You’d be surprised how much body heat a Hefty bag can contain. I did however neglect to bring the body glide, and paid for it by having to walk like a saddle sore Cowboy for the rest of our visit. One more must that I would recommend are tissues, especially during the colder temperatures at the start.

I had NO IDEA that they had Vaseline on those tongue depressors!!!!! I thought I overheard someone say that they had oatmeal on them and was almost tempted to grab one around mile 8 or 9!!!!!!!!! Thankfully I didn’t get over to the side quick enough!!!!!!

Ran this years half (first-timer) in 2:32:54. Had originally planned for 2:15 but an early December ankle injury slowed me down. I'm already planning to be back next year with DW race-walking the half with SIL, and BIL running the full. I'll be shooting for 2:15 again.

Stayed at Port Orleans this year (had used our points for a March 7 day cruise) and while the bus ride was lonnnnng, the nice warm cushioned bus seat was far better the cold EPCOT parking lot ashphalt.

Happy running to all those training for Jan 11, 2004!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter