DVC - Is It Worth It?

A small point but it's another Disney detail I enjoy - no extra adult or parking cost. We usually have our FL-DD join us over the weekend and sometimes she'll add a friend. It's nice to be able to squeeze them in for no additional cost. :thumbsup2

We first found out about renting points through this forum and rented points for $11 per points from an owner of BLT. It was definitely cheaper than booking directly through Disney and by doing renting we save close to $2000 for a nine night stay at two bedroom suite with MK view. This was back in 2010, during that trip we made a decision to purchase 270 points of Grand Californian since we live in CA. We paid $95 per point after the incentive discount and also got 270 points of developers points addition to our initial 270 points from the purchase. with that additional points we were able to go on a five night Bahama cruise on Disney Dream on 2012. On that cruise we purchased 160 points of Aulani points because the resort wasn't open yet, we were not able to get that developers points but we did get our founding member plaque at the resort as well as nice framed plaque shipped to our house. I believe we paid about $106 or so after the discount they offered on the cruise and we got the initial low maintenance fee. We ended up adding 120 points later when they offered buy 100 get 20 for free.

Over all, we are loving our ownership of DVC. We took many trips to Grand Californian and allowed us to have our friends and family to use our points to stay there or Paradise Piers using the points on Disney Collection. We were able to also take 10 day stay at Aulani and are looking forward to many more trips in the future. We will be staying at Grand Floridian for a week and another three nights at Boardwalk Villas, using our Aulani and Grand Californian points (booked right at 7 month in advance.)

Checking the resale pricing on Grand Californian and Aulani, GC points are selling about $40 more per point than what we paid for and Aulani is fairing about even pricing. We have no plans to sell our points anytime soon, and feel very lucky that we made the right choice on which resorts to buy into.
We have 550 points total and it works great for us and never lost any points. If we buy anymore points, it would be for Polynesian Villas open up and if it would be impossible to get the over water villas using our points at GC and Aulani.

If you love staying on site, deluxe accommodations, planning vacation at least 7 to 11 months in advance, and can afford it, then I would highly recommend buying into DVC.

Just so I understand correctly, ALL your purchased points are from Direct Disney Sales & this is HOW you're able to to use Disney Collection. :rolleyes

I ask because we ALSO live in CA and would like to know if you find any advantages to having the Disney Collection available to you or your family/friends if the Villas are not? :rolleyes: :flower3:

We used Disney collection option a few times, mostly for my sister who isn't much of an early planner and always makes requests to stay at Grand Californian at two to three months time frame. We're from Northern California so staying at a hotel is a must. Grand Californian being very limited on availability, is often fully booked at two three months out. So I would use the points for paradise piers since it's less points than disneyland hotel. Still, I would much rather she request at least seven months in advance so that I can get her a room at VGC than paradise piers at much less points.

We have stayed at both studio and two bedroom suites and it is my favorite layout of all DVC resorts. I guess I"ll see how VGF compares in June.
I"m sure only having 50 units at VGC and being sold out have something to do with price increase. We have no plans to sell but it is comforting to know that if we would have to, we would actually make profit.

Using your points for Disney collection isn't ideal since you get less for more points, sometimes significantly more. However, I haven't had much problem getting a room, at least at paradise piers with just two months notice, even during the peak season (spring break).
We don't regret buying direct, but I can see why it would be appealing to some to buy resale at greatly reduced pricing. Current direct pricing has gone up so much I would think twice before buying direct.
Even the cruise points has gone up so much that it's not much of a saving using points vs. paying cash. Take everything into consideration before making decision to buy direct or resale.

We used Disney collection option a few times, mostly for my sister who isn't much of an early planner and always makes requests to stay at Grand Californian at two to three months time frame. We're from Northern California so staying at a hotel is a must. Grand Californian being very limited on availability, is often fully booked at two three months out. So I would use the points for paradise piers since it's less points than disneyland hotel. Still, I would much rather she request at least seven months in advance so that I can get her a room at VGC than paradise piers at much less points. We have stayed at both studio and two bedroom suites and it is my favorite layout of all DVC resorts. I guess I"ll see how VGF compares in June. I"m sure only having 50 units at VGC and being sold out have something to do with price increase. We have no plans to sell but it is comforting to know that if we would have to, we would actually make profit.

I have a sister like that!

Using your points for Disney collection isn't ideal since you get less for more points, sometimes significantly more. However, I haven't had much problem getting a room, at least at paradise piers with just two months notice, even during the peak season (spring break).
We don't regret buying direct, but I can see why it would be appealing to some to buy resale at greatly reduced pricing. Current direct pricing has gone up so much I would think twice before buying direct.
Even the cruise points has gone up so much that it's not much of a saving using points vs. paying cash. Take everything into consideration before making decision to buy direct or resale.

Thanks for your input although we are already DVCer's I was curious to see if someone who lives in CA finds occasional use of the DLR collection helpful which it seems like it is! :teacher: ;) Usually don't find too many posters from here that feel the same way! :rolleyes: :snooty:
I DO AGREE that it's NOT the best usage of your points overall BUT if you really NEED that possible 1 or 2 nights then why not live it up and enjoy!
:cheer2:
We are local Southern Cali so I feel staying in one of the Disney hotels ON points IF NEEDED is a bonus for us! :thumbsup2
We have 450 points with BCV ..... all purchased resale BEFORE 2011 &
160 points with VGC purchased Directly from Disney.
When going to WDW it's planning EXACTLY at 11 months out and with DLR
it mostly 7 months or LESS than such as 2 or 3 months out. We are AP holders so I like to coordinate a few stays like once a month @ DLR. :teacher:
Definitely NO REGRETS with DVC!!!! :thumbsup2:cool1:

Great resort choices! I've heard it's hard to get reservations at BCV because it's still really popular. And looks of it, price didn't decrease at all, I don't know who much you paid for it when you got it back in 2011.
I'm an early planner so every vacation gets planned out far in advance and could never get my sister to commit. She still hasn't stayed at Grand Californian and dying to try it out. One of these days.....:rolleyes:

Thanks for your input although we are already DVCer's I was curious to see if someone who lives in CA finds occasional use of the DLR collection helpful which it seems like it is! :teacher: ;) Usually don't find too many posters from here that feel the same way! :rolleyes: :snooty:
I DO AGREE that it's NOT the best usage of your points overall BUT if you really NEED that possible 1 or 2 nights then why not live it up and enjoy!
:cheer2:
We are local Southern Cali so I feel staying in one of the Disney hotels ON points IF NEEDED is a bonus for us! :thumbsup2
We have 450 points with BCV ..... all purchased resale BEFORE 2011 &
160 points with VGC purchased Directly from Disney.
When going to WDW it's planning EXACTLY at 11 months out and with DLR
it mostly 7 months or LESS than such as 2 or 3 months out. We are AP holders so I like to coordinate a few stays like once a month @ DLR. :teacher:
Definitely NO REGRETS with DVC!!!! :thumbsup2:cool1:
FWIW, we are SoCal and have used our points for Grand Cal hotel prior to the villas being added. We enjoyed the stay and have since enjoyed several visits to the GCV units. As we also have access, through other points-system clubs, to other timeshare properties within walking distance to DLR, I doubt we'd be eager to use our points via Disney Collection at DLR. That said, we loved our stay, in NYC last year booked via DVC Concierge Collection. THAT was a bonus for us!

We're planning on Japan trip in a year or two and thinking about using the DVC points for a couples nights stay at one of the Tokyo Disney resorts. I know the points are quite high but paying cash would cost just as much if not more.

I live on the East coast but have family in Vegas and plan to retire there. I am selling one of my DVC contracts but will still have 2 small contracts: one at the WLV and also at VGC. We often use the VGC for a short stay in CA but also I have used points for a short stay at the DLH. While it's not the best use of my points it's great for a short trip and sometimes it's hard to get a room at the VGC because it's small.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter