• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Furniture Sales

rescuetink

DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! W
Here's a curious question!!

My parents own a timeshare in Williamsburg,Va and when they replace or upgrade the furniture they have a sale which is open to owners first. A lot of the furniture is in almost new condition.

Do they do this with the DVC furniture when they replace or upgrade the furniture? And if so where or how can you find out about the sales? :confused3

nope - you'd just have to check ebay...

ebay example

I can't imagine that Disney sells on eBay, so there is either a company they have an agreement with that purchases all the stuff, or they have a sale and companies buy it to sell on eBay!!
:confused:

They sell some of it in the cast member store. Which may end up on ebay.

I've also heard Disney will auction off lots of furniture from refurbishments to bidders (irl) who in turn have warehouses or put them up on ebay. I got a picture from the BWV when they had refurbished them this way. Can't seem to find that site. The other site I know of was reported as now being littered and containing tons of broken items by those who have gone over in person.

I wonder how you find out about the auctions!?!?!?!? :confused3

Not a clue - but don't think I'd want to be buying lots of 50 armoires. Not exactly carry-on compatible ;)

I just did a search - and the company names we used to hear of here on the DIS were SurplusKingdom and Mousesurplus. The honesty of both places was in question as there was something to do with a partnership and a falling out. Moot point though as both seem to be out of the furniture business for now.

The place I got my picture from was a nice shop, but they didn't carry all that much. I was impressed by their service and shipping. Wish I had their name still to see if they're in operation.

Searched my email and found the company I delt with: http://www.ownthemagic.com/
As I mentioned they keep very little stock (look under 'catalog' menu at top), but I was impressed by them.

Interesting!!! Thanks for sharing!! But I still wonder how and when they auction these things off!! How often are they required to replace the furnishings?? :confused3

So, when they sell the used furniture from DVC properties, do the proceeds go back to the membership? Just curious.

some resort/park items we've bought from mousesurplus (ebay and their old warehouse - their new storefront had nothing "fun"), surplus kingdom, cast connection/property control (CMs only), and a few others on ebay:
- GF "fairies" bedspread, dustruffle, 6 HUGE decorative pillows & a bunch of small ones, thermal "ribbon" drapes, "artwork"
- large BWV picture (the one looking out of the room, with the "hidden mickey balloon") - still available on ownthemagic, tho we paid less
- YC entrance rug, ice bucket/tray, bathroom stuff
- AKL lighting fixtures
- ground (standing) speakers used in the parks
- old signs (favorite is the LARGE metal ticket pricing sign, with river country, etc)

and much, MUCH more :rolleyes:

most visitors to our home don't even realize that the item they liked was actually from WDW, but we know, and enjoy the warm memories from them.

do keep an eye on ebay, as ppl remodel, and resort items still show up there.
(btw, i was told by mousesurplus, etc that they were allowed to remove the replaced items as part of the reno work they were involved in).

hth :)

So, when they sell the used furniture from DVC properties, do the proceeds go back to the membership? Just curious.
Hmmmmm that's interesting, never thought about it. I would assume it is included as income, just as when I sell an asset from my business after it is depreciated money goes back to business.

Hmmmmm that's interesting, never thought about it. I would assume it is included as income, just as when I sell an asset from my business after it is depreciated money goes back to business.

Your would hope this is the case, but I wouldn't bank on it!! :rotfl2: Good question to ask!! :thumbsup2

try ownthemagic.com.... I've bought some resort items from them and they carry some of the DVC resorts....

chalee94 said:
nope - you'd just have to check ebay...

ebay example

We have one of these! We got it a few years ago from Surplus Kingdom when we lived in central Florida. Is a neat piece but heavy as heck! Anyone know hat happened to Surplus Kingdom and if they have a store in Orlando? When we got ours was via their Internet store but we picked up locally at their storage unit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter