• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Extras, WHY?

hannah'sdaddy

Earning My Ears
Me and my wife are finally thinking about taking the plunge and buy DVC. I hate that Disney is limiting access to the extras. I know benefits are always subject to change or go away completely, But come on can't use the new members lunge, because bought resale. That free coke really going to break Disney!! Resale is more economical choice for me and my family, so want change my mind and buy direct. Just a little venting. I will at least have the best benefit and that is staying at a wonderful DVC resort.

Disney don't make money on resale. The only time they make money on the actual sale of points is initial sale.

Yeah, they make money when you travel, but if not you it would be someone else. The ownership interest passing is not a profit center for them.

I really don't understand this type of reasoning. There are two viable options for most people: Buy direct, and receive the existing "perks" that are available, or buy resale, and save money upfront, forsaking the perks (unless you buy other points direct). No one is forced into one option or the other. It's a choice (and yes, picking a price point is a choice).

Me and my wife are finally thinking about taking the plunge and buy DVC. I hate that Disney is limiting access to the extras. I know benefits are always subject to change or go away completely, But come on can't use the new members lunge, because bought resale. That free coke really going to break Disney!! Resale is more economical choice for me and my family, so want change my mind and buy direct. Just a little venting. I will at least have the best benefit and that is staying at a wonderful DVC resort.

The fact that you're even complaining / venting about it explains exactly why they are doing it. Dangling the member perks gives them just a little more ammo to sell direct. Only takes a small percentage of buyers being swayed for it to be worthwhile.

And all of those added perks are nice enticements for the segment of DVC owners who think they should be treated like Disney's "best customers."

If one buys resales of other timeshares, they don't get the same benefits as those that bought direct from them, so why should Disney be different. As one that bought direct, I'm glad that I receive special perks from those that bought resales. Of course I bought in 1997 before I had even heard of a resale market.

The fact that it even got you to think about direct is why they do it.

Of course the real benefit of DVC has always been in the discounted on property rooms so it remains a tough sell for DVC. Still, some will spend thousands more for that "free" coke.

I've bought direct at added on direct at VGF. Then I learned about the resale market and added on again at BCV. I will never buy direct again unless that is the only option. We went to the Members Lounge recently and stayed 5-10 minutes. Then we got bored and left. A coke was nice but not worth spending thousands more. I appreciate the annual pass holder discounts but again this only saves me a few hundred dollars every other year. (We buy an annual pass every other year and get 2 family vacations out of it, spacing them just under a year apart). Don't sweat the "missed benefits" one bit! Try resale first and if you really want direct benefits, add on direct later with a small number of points. Disney is just dangling a carrot to entice you to buy direct (which is what they do best!) If you want a Poly fixed week then buy direct. Otherwise, I'd strongly consider resale! (I always recommend resale to anyone who asks me now).

Let's say you buy a car. The car comes with a 5 year manufacturers warranty. And the dealer tells you that you are welcome to come by anytime and get a free carwash for your new car. This is a nice perk, but the dealer is way across town, so you don't use this as much as you thought you would.
After a few years you sell the car.

Somebody buys your car. They get a car. They also get the use of the remaining manufacturers warranty - whatever is left of the original five years - because that goes with the car. But they do not get free car washes. The free car washes were an incidental benefit, not part of the car. They saved thousands of dollars by buying a used car rather than a new car, and if they choose, they can go to a carwash themselves and pay.

As noted, it's largely to push people to buy retail. If you plan accordingly just plan to buy a 25 point retail contract after a resale purchase and you'll have most of the savings of resale and the retail options that have any value (the cash exchanges don't).

Last edited:
I think the perks are nice and a good thing to have if you are a regular DVCer. Are they worth the price upcharge on direct vs. resale...that is debateable but remember when you buy direct you will be getting additional years on your time share (close to 25 years on the older resorts), which should provide you a better re-sale valuation down the road.

Many of the 2042 resorts are going to begin losing significant value at some point of time (my guess is within the next 10 years), unless Disney comes up with some kind of extension program.

I think the perks are nice and a good thing to have if you are a regular DVCer. Are they worth the price upcharge on direct vs. resale...that is debateable but remember when you buy direct you will be getting additional years on your time share (close to 25 years on the older resorts), which should provide you a better re-sale valuation down the road.

Many of the 2042 resorts are going to begin losing significant value at some point of time (my guess is within the next 10 years), unless Disney comes up with some kind of extension program.
It's not the retail vs resale issue that provides the additional time on RTU (other than possibly at OKW) though those in active sales are less likely to have much resale availability.

DVD is in business to make money by selling direct contracts, period. Under this current management, perks and extras have changed to increase sales, if the perks and extras didn't result in sales they wouldn't be offered. A couple of years ago under different management, many of the perks and extras were different and in the future they could change again.

IMO another driver is industry recognition, corporate types love industry recognition and awards. Disney is active is several industry groups and this may be one of the reasons for the change of refurbishment policy and schedule.

:earsboy: Bill

Well, they do NOW. They didn't used to.
I think they've always looked at it this way, at least since resale became enough to matter, it's just been the last 10-15 years they've worked on differentiating them and the last 6 years they've announced ways to do so. They've had discussions over the years internally including considering a VIP program from what I hear. What they've done so far is small potatoes, if they get serious about this issue, we'll get to have some really fun discussions.

I think they've always looked at it this way, at least since resale became enough to matter, it's just been the last 10-15 years they've worked on differentiating them and the last 6 years they've announced ways to do so. They've had discussions over the years internally including considering a VIP program from what I hear. What they've done so far is small potatoes, if they get serious about this issue, we'll get to have some really fun discussions.
And the sad thing is - completely unnecessary.

Disney ignores more potential customers than other timeshare companies ever even see.

A few tweaks to how DVC markets would give them all the business they wanted without alienating people who are otherwise committing to spending 10s of thousands of dollars over decades at Disney.

I'm sure their current strategy is effective. It's just unnecessary.

Here's just a few ideas that would give DVC all the business it could build out:

1. Actually reach out to guests staying on DVC property who aren't members. That's as simple as putting an offer to tour and a "guide's" phone number on a flyer tucked into check in docs.

Permanently book out one of the 3 rooms at Be Our Guest and offer a 1.5 hour tour over a free meal. Make that offer in the flyer for non member guests.

2. Put a DVC rest area in each park and brag about it at the front entrance "Welcome Home DVC members! Your private ClubHouse is located in the Imagination Pavilion. (Find out how YOU can be a member, today.)"

3. 1 Extra Anytime FP per guest per day for members staying on points. (Member must be present in room.) This costs nothing, the mechanism already exists to do it and it would have a profound effect on the exact target audience: people who come to WDW routinely. If I know I'm coming back the next several years, let's check out how to get that extra FP...

4. This is something they used to do and should be standard fare: comp current tix and on site room charges for signing up.

I could think of others and have in the past. DVC has a potential to reach out to what, 200,000 guests each day? 250,000? (4 parks, 2 water parks, and Disney Springs)

Before they alienated people committing to spend 10s of thousands of dollars with them, they should have explored how to reach out more effectively to their captive audiences.

It wouldn't be that difficult.

All timeshares do what Disney is currently doing. BECAUSE of Disney's unique audience, they could afford not to do so.

Disney used to cultivate the advantages it's unique position gave them: the Disney Difference.

While I like all of your recommendations for DVC, there is no compelling reason for them to provide anymore freebies if sales are robust. Their current model is letting the DVC members help subsidized the ongoing O&M of existing resorts, which directly benefits Disney more so than a standalone DVC property.

Aulani appears to be somewhat of a mistake based on the lengthy sales window, and is most likely holding back future west coast DVC plans, but Florida still seems to be chugging along. Maybe they will get kinder during the next economic downturn, or if park attendance begins to lag, but right now it is just a wish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter