DVC exchange statistics for 1998 - 2013 info

Dean

DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis
Here's the info through 2013. End of 2013 membership just over 195K.

Here’s the points exchange grid:

New exchange list
Gold Crown
  1. Studio - 100 Low/120 Mid/130 High
  2. 1 BR - 120 Low/140 Mid/150 High
  3. 2 BR - 200 Low/240 Mid/260 High
  4. 3 BR - 270 Low/310 Mid/340 High
Non Gold Crown
  1. Studio - 80 Low/100 Mid/110 High
  2. 1 BR - 100 Low/120 Mid/130 High
  3. 2 BR - 180 Low/210 Mid/230 High
  4. 3 BR - 240 Low/270 Mid/300 High
There is a nightly list also now divided up by Gold Crown and other and there is a points charts for RCI registry resorts that is quite high though has seen some minor changes as well. These changes above represent a minimal to mild lowering of the points compared to historical and appear to coincide with the decision to allow wider access to more resorts.

Old Exchange list
  1. Studio - 106 Low/123 Mid/134 High
  2. 1 BR - 124 Low/144 Mid/160 High
  3. 2 BR - 207 Low/252 Mid/270 High
  4. 3 BR - 276 Low/317 Mid/349 High

RCI exchanges
  • 1992 - 44 exchanges, 1 pending and 100% success rate. 2.09% of members had exchanged during 1992. 175 properties were listed with RCI during 1992 and at that time there were 34,584 members.
  • 1993 - 146 exchanges, 45 pending and 97% success rate. 2.47% of members had exchanged during 1992. 264 properties were listed with RCI during 1993 and at that time there were 34,584 members.
  • 2009 – All I’ve gotten so far from DVC related to RCI are RCI’s audit for their various components (weeks, RCI points, Registry collection).
  • 2010, DVC has taken the RCI audit for the RCI points system and used it to satisfy their FL requirement. I'm not sure if this is technically legal and it does not give a representation of the DVC statistics but it's the reality. They give a success rate of 82.7% but they get it in a different way than I would expect. They take the points used divided by points no longer usable. It ignores unused but still valid points and their outcome. Also, as do all of the audit's, it implies any accepted option was a truly acceptable choice to the exchanger.
  • 2011-13 - DVC still just lists the RCI audit as their own so no DVC specific info available now.
Remember that RCI was a deposit first system from 1992-1994 so if you didn’t match you lost your week.

Interval International exchanges

• 1998 - 674 exchanges, 69 pending and 76.8% success rate. 1.9% of members had exchanged during 1998. 251 properties were listed with II during 1998 and at that time there were 34,584 members.
  • 1999 - 656 exchanges, 125 pending and 75.8% success rate. 1.6% of members had exchanged during 1999. 279 properties were listed with II during 1999 and at that time there were 42,230 members.
  • 2000 - 979 exchanges, 193 pending and 68.6% success rate. 1.9% of members had exchanged during 2000. 332 properties were listed with II during 2000 and at that time there were 60,251 members.
  • 2001 - 1141 exchanges, 241 pending and 53.6% success rate. 1.9% of members had exchanged during 2001. 332 properties were listed with II during 2001 and at that time there were 60,251 members.
  • 2002 - 1396 exchanges and 277 pending exchanges for a success rate of 74.6%. There 336 II exchange options (# of resorts) and 68,875 members. Overall 2% of members exchanged.
  • 2003 - 2088 exchanges and 446 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 79% (exchanges/requests). There were 375 II exchange options and 74,860 members during 2003.
  • 2004 - 2376 exchanges, 586 pending and 89.3% success rate. 2.8% of members had exchanged during 2004. 432 properties were listed with II during 2004 and at that time there were 85,017 members.
  • 2005 - 2914 exchanges, 704 pending and 91.6% success rate. 3% of members had exchanged during 2006. 512 properties were listed with II during 2005 and at that time there were 98156 members.
  • 2006 - 3332 exchanges, 687 pending and 93.8% success rate. 3% of members had exchanged during 2006. 543 properties were listed with II during 2006 and at that time there were 110,107 members.
  • 2007 - 4138 exchanges, 978 pending and 93.4% success rate. 3.4% of members had exchanged during 2007. 589 properties were listed with II during 2007 and at that time there were 122,551 members on the BVTC audit and 123,391 members on the II audit.
  • 2008 - 5500 exchanges and 331 short stay exchanges. There were 123,433 member families at the end of last year which seems low. This is the last year for II and no formal audit was available due to the change over from II to RCI.

1993 BVTC stats

• Hilton - 2 exchanges with 2 pending with a success rate of 33.3%.
  • Vacation Internationale - 17 exchanges with 12 pending with a success rate of 89.47%.

Club Cordial

Reservations for Cordial are made by paper, so takes a few days. They can be made up to 10 months and 7 days out. If you want to schedule more than one, you have separate $95 fees.
  • 1999 - 42 exchanges with 14 pending with a success rate of 44.7%.
  • 2000 - I have the document but it doesn’t have the stats listed.
  • 2001 - 35 exchanges with 7 pending with a success rate of 30.7%.
  • 2002 – 33 exchanges with 12 pending with a success rate of 31.1%.
  • 2003 - 21 exchanges and 6 pending exchanges (owed to DVC members). This was an exchange success rate of 47.7% (exchanges/requests)
  • 2004 - 53 exchanges and 14 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 71.6%
  • 2005 - 26 exchanges and 10 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 68.4%
  • 2006 - 42 exchanges and 14 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 54.8%
  • 2007 - 52 exchanges and 15 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 75.4%
  • 2008 - 30 exchanges and 7 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 66.7%
  • 2009 – 66 exchanges and 34 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 61.1%.
  • 2010 – 56 exchanges and 0 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 81.2%.
  • 2011 – 73 exchanges and 0 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 67.6%.
  • 2012 – 68 exchanges and 0 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 54%.
  • 2013 – 53 exchanges and 0 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 63.9%.

Club Intrawest

For Club Intrawest it's 7 months and 7 days for 6 days or longer (but can't be 7 days) and 4 months 7 days our for stays less than 6 days. And given CI system, that means the chances of getting something good like Xmas or Easter Whistler or Xmas HI is essentially zero.

• 1999 - 60 exchanges, 25 pending and 44.4% for last year.
  • 2000 - I have the document but it doesn’t have the stats listed.
  • 2001 - 39 exchanges, 8 pending and 27.9% for last year.
  • 2002 - 48 exchanges and 3 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 38.4% (exchanges/requests).
  • 2003 - 111 exchanges and 30 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 57.7%
  • 2004 - 179 exchanges and 33 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 59.3%
  • 2005 - 160 exchanges and 31 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 64.0%
  • 2006 - 249 exchanges and 61 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 68.4%
  • 2007 - 257 exchanges and 54 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 54.7%
  • 2008 - 422 exchanges and 78 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 70.2% (this is a corrected #).
  • 2009 - 346 exchanges and 63 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 69.9%
  • 2010 - 551 exchanges and 0 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 81.5%
  • 2011 - 617 exchanges and 0 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 74.1%
  • 2012 – 422 exchanges and 0 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 52.8%.
  • 2013 – 401 exchanges and 0 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 59.5%.

Editorial 7/21/05 – While the numbers are similar to last year it appears that more were successful or at least less unsuccessful tries this past year. This is likely do to the non refundable fee with those that are mostly window shopping not participating plus maybe a few more choices enticing some that might not have jumped in.

Editorial 6/8/2007 Overall I think the last 2 years show no specific change and can be explained by the growth of the system as a whole. I do wonder if they count cancelled exchanges or if they act like they never happened. Given there are many ways to look at cancelled exchanges, I can see both approaches.

Editorial 6/29/2011 The zero pending exchanges with both BVTC components is interesting. I'm guessing that means they are either ahead of both entities and that the Cordial and CI currently owe DVC members exchangers or that they've simply stopped the system altogether, at least for a while. Added 2014 there must have been a chance either in how reservation are handled or how they are monitored over a few years ago.

I'm a newbie to the timeshare scene. Could you give your read on these stats, Dean? Is DVC trading well in II or not as compared to other timeshares? Better or worse than previous years? (Ignore this post if this question is inappropriate.) Thanks. A steep learning curve for me. Have been reading TUG to try to educate myself a bit.

Dean - thanks for posting the exchange info. Disney sent me the auditor's report on BVTC & Intrawest, but nothing on Interval International.

As luck would have it - we have our first II search (Hawaii) in progress right now.

After seeing the 31-38% success rate on BVTC & Intrawest, we figured chances for a successful match with II were pretty dismal. But now I see the chances are actually pretty decent. And if we're flexible enough (time & location) it should be a slam dunk.

Timely post!:smooth:

Dean~

Thanks for the interesting post and for following up on this information. You're an asset to this group! :teeth: I was intrigued by the exchange rates, especially II. Gives me hope that my request *might* come through!

Nancy :earsgirl:

Originally posted by jekjones1558
I'm a newbie to the timeshare scene. Could you give your read on these stats, Dean? Is DVC trading well in II or not as compared to other timeshares? Better or worse than previous years? (Ignore this post if this question is inappropriate.) Thanks. A steep learning curve for me. Have been reading TUG to try to educate myself a bit.
There are many limitations on trading DVC. I think DVC trades well if you get past internal priorities like Marriott. Still, most people who own top resorts for prime time don't exchange them through II. They rent them, use them or do direct exchanges. Still with the 2 year request first option and the chance to say no or check air fare once they call you, it's a nice option to have even if expensive. Just make sure you are getting what you pay for so investigate your choices and do your due diligence.

I think the exchange matches are higher than the past few years. Remember though that if you accepted an exchange, it's counts for them even if it was your last choice.

Originally posted by qqq
Dean - thanks for posting the exchange info. Disney sent me the auditor's report on BVTC & Intrawest, but nothing on Interval International.

As luck would have it - we have our first II search (Hawaii) in progress right now.

After seeing the 31-38% success rate on BVTC & Intrawest, we figured chances for a successful match with II were pretty dismal. But now I see the chances are actually pretty decent. And if we're flexible enough (time & location) it should be a slam dunk.

Timely post!:smooth:
I think you can only do CI 6 months out but the HI property doesn't participate with BVTC. The chances of a match are pretty good assuming you can travel at only 2 months out and don't need a 2 BR. Still, you can always search with DVC while looking for direct exchanges and check with the smaller, independent exchange companies. For HI, it is usually best to get your air fare and take your chances on paying for a hotel room or condo (make a cancellable reservation). That's especially true if one wants to use FF miles.

Thanks for taking the time to help me get my brain around exchanges. Good tips on airfare and reserving a cancellable hotel or condo as backup. I think that with some airlines (Northwest is big here) it is almost impossible to get FF tickets to HI. Better chance to use miles for upgrading to first class.

Thanks for taking the time to help me get my brain around exchanges. Good tips on airfare and reserving a cancellable hotel or condo as backup. I think that with some airlines (Northwest is big here) it is almost impossible to get FF tickets to HI. Better chance to use miles for upgrading to first class.
Got four seats direct to Maui for summer, 2002. Called at the 330 day window for the arrival and again at the 330 day window for departure.The cheapest I saw those flights onliine after that was $1000 each. Flew in to Maui and out of Honolulu thus savind one interisland segment. I would have been far better paying a hotel for four than missing the cheap flights.

Congratulations on a great air deal! I must admit that I have only tried to get FF tickets to HI in the winter months when it is tough even at the 330 day mark. I think Northwest has zero FF seats on some popular flights. (DH doesn't complain about using miles for first class, however. He DREADS the long flight!) I have not tried booking outbound and inbound flights separately. I have 10 months til retirement and will hopefully be able to use all your tips on timeshares and airfare when my time is more my own. Thanks once again for a helpful post!:D

Dean, where are you getting the info on 3 bedroom point schedule? All I see is 270pts high season for a 2 bedroom with II. Please let me know.

Thanks

Congratulations on a great air deal! I must admit that I have only tried to get FF tickets to HI in the winter months when it is tough even at the 330 day mark. I think Northwest has zero FF seats on some popular flights. (DH doesn't complain about using miles for first class, however. He DREADS the long flight!) I have not tried booking outbound and inbound flights separately. I have 10 months til retirement and will hopefully be able to use all your tips on timeshares and airfare when my time is more my own. Thanks once again for a helpful post!:D
Stayed up to MN for the day the first travel started and then again to MN for the 330 day window for the return flight. Did the same for PV which would have been $800 pp or more for four this summer.

Originally posted by BRADI98
Dean, where are you getting the info on 3 bedroom point schedule? All I see is 270pts high season for a 2 bedroom with II. Please let me know.

Thanks
Every year DVC does an accounting and publishes the rules. They list all the resorts in the program arranged by number of units and also by number of members. They do one for BVTC and one for II. This is (or at least was) a legal requirement in FL. This is valuable information and is where I got the info as it lists both studios and 3 BR. The 3 BR took me by surprise as previously one could search for a 3 BR unit for 2 BR points. Not that there are that many, but it still represents an increase in the points exchange. I still think the studio change was the biggest rip off of the new deal.

See the OP for some explanations.

Interval International had 2088 exchanges and 446 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 79% (exchanges/requests). There were 375 II exchange options and 74,860 members during 2003. 2.8 % of members exchanged during 2003. I don't yet have the same info for BVTC, I will post it when I get it.

I was surprised at the number and percent of exchanges, not that they increased but to the extent they increased. I did not notice any changes in the system or specifics compared to what I posted in the OP.

INFO ADDED ON 6/28/04

The Cordial Group had 21 exchanges and 6 pending exchanges (owed to DVC members). This was an exchange success rate of 47.7% (exchanges/requests). Far less exchanges than last year.

Club Intrawest had 111 exchanges and 30 pending exchanges. This was an exchange success rate of 57.7% (exchanges/requests). This is far more than last year.

Great information!

By the way, I wouldn't be too gloomy about the notion that some people might have only gotten their "last choice." That sounds like they got stuck with the dregs. However, in practice I would hope that every resort that people list as one of their choices would be something they selected, not something they got stuck with out of the blue. There's no reason for someone to list something they hate. So even the last choice is a "choice" and not some kind of failure.

Originally posted by rocketriter
Great information!

By the way, I wouldn't be too gloomy about the notion that some people might have only gotten their "last choice." That sounds like they got stuck with the dregs. However, in practice I would hope that every resort that people list as one of their choices would be something they selected, not something they got stuck with out of the blue. There's no reason for someone to list something they hate. So even the last choice is a "choice" and not some kind of failure.
I agree that this is the way it should be but my experience with DVC members exchanging is not quite as upbeat. I find many DVC members assume that if something is on the DVC list that it will be of equal quality. I also find them making too many assumptions based on the Disney way. For example, members staying at La Cabana in Aruba, a resort where I own, have found themselves quite disappointed. It's off the exhange list now. Same at many other options.

Somone exchanging to Cliff's Club in HI might assume it's on the beach, it's not. Or a DVC member exchanging to Lawaii Beach will likely get a room view that makes the dumpster view look good and not know this is the way it is. Or they might go to the Embassy on Kauai and not know about the extra AC fee of $70 or so. Or more likely, trade 270 DVC points for a room they could have rented for $700-1000.

The point being to research the choices before you list them and before you accept them to make sure what you accept will meet your needs and expectations. Something most experienced timeshare exchangers routinely do but for some reason, many DVC exchangers do not. There are certainly enough regular II exchangers that don't have a clue but it seems to me that the percent is higher for DVC members.

Thanks for updating this thread, Dean -- great stuff!

What do you mean by, "There were 375 II exchange options ..."?

Thanks!

Originally posted by bwvBound
Thanks for updating this thread, Dean -- great stuff!

What do you mean by, "There were 375 II exchange options ..."?

Thanks!
That is the number of exchange choices (resorts) on the II list, I'm assuming at the end of last year. It's actually up around 400 now.

Dean,

Thanks for the update!

We have only exchanged once and that was to the Royal Garden Hotel in London. Received a telephone confirmation within 24 hours.
The hotel front desk personnel were very nice. They gave us a room at 9:00AM (think check-in was 4:00PM) and they gave us a free room upgrade. Our view from the room included Kensington Garden and to the side was Kensington Palace. The reservation included breakfast (food selection was good).

ralphd:D :D :D :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter