DVC downgrade using RCI

Allie in Wonderland

DIS Veteran
We recently were very disappointed in the switch from Interval to RCI. The selection of resorts available to exchange for is nowhere close to what Interval had. We have enjoyed exchanging for Aruba the last few years and found the resorts wonderful. Now DVC is offering one resort to pick from instead of the eight it use to. This resort is not on the same level as the many others that use to be available. I called DVC and they said they will try to get RCI to add more. I think members are being shortchanged.

I called DVC and they said they will try to get RCI to add more. I think members are being shortchanged.

I thought it was DVC that controls the resort choices, not RCI. Why would RCI get to pick and choose which resorts are in the DVC World Passport collection, and why would they care?

I thought it was DVC that controls the resort choices, not RCI. Why would RCI get to pick and choose which resorts are in the DVC World Passport collection, and why would they care?

The DVC RCI list is very edited(quality filtered, as per DVC standards) compared to what is in the regular RCI directory.

DVC picked the resorts in the World Passport collection.

It was the same in II with DVC. Most of the big brands have some sort of quality filters so you exchange into a resort of comparable quality.

I own a Starwood ski week and it has different filters than the Starwood resort in Myrtle Beach.

We recently were very disappointed in the switch from Interval to RCI. The selection of resorts available to exchange for is nowhere close to what Interval had. We have enjoyed exchanging for Aruba the last few years and found the resorts wonderful. Now DVC is offering one resort to pick from instead of the eight it use to. This resort is not on the same level as the many others that use to be available. I called DVC and they said they will try to get RCI to add more. I think members are being shortchanged.
DVC is using roughly the same criteria of which resorts to include as they did with II. The problem is II has the Marriott's, Westin's, Hyatt's and Royals and with few exceptions, RCI does not. I agree that II provided better and higher quality options for many areas but there are areas where RCI does better. DVC looked at dually affiliating a few years ago but decided not to. I don't know why they decide to switch and I'm sure there are many factors. However, I would bet that 2 of the main ones would be a better rental market for weeks DVC needs to dispose of for cash and a better financial package for the membership.

Having said that, RCI is likely a better fit than II due to the RCI points system and the way DVC's points system works. And there are rumors that Marriott is planning to make changes in their internal trading system that could adversely affect the availability or even participation with II. IMO, DVC would be best served by forging an alliance with the top systems like Starwood, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott and the Royals in addition to CI and possibly companies like Wyndham, Diamond, Shell, Worldmark and Bluegreen if they only selected the top non Orlando resorts. They already have a licensed exchange company in BVTC and if done appropriately, they could corner the market and almost instantly transform both RCI and II into secondary players from a demand and quality standpoint.

Aren't there 8 choices in Aruba using RCI with DVC?

Happen to be looking at about a week or so ago?

Anyone have any feedback about using RCI at CostaLinda or Playlinda in Aruba?

I too was dissapointed about Interval..I loved having the Marriotts as an option in Aruba!:confused:

With that being said, I thought I read pretty good reviews on CostaLinda or PlayaLinda?

Comments?
Thanks as always in advance!:yay:

IMO, DVC would be best served by forging an alliance with the top systems like Starwood, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott and the Royals in addition to CI and possibly companies like Wyndham, Diamond, Shell, Worldmark and Bluegreen if they only selected the top non Orlando resorts.
Agreed!!! :thumbsup2 Sure wish DVC would expand the BVTC relationships!

Aren't there 8 choices in Aruba using RCI with DVC?

Happen to be looking at about a week or so ago?

Anyone have any feedback about using RCI at CostaLinda or Playlinda in Aruba?

I too was dissapointed about Interval..I loved having the Marriotts as an option in Aruba!:confused:

With that being said, I thought I read pretty good reviews on CostaLinda or PlayaLinda?

Comments?
Thanks as always in advance!:yay:
There are 9. Of those, I'd personally only stay at 3, PL & CL you mention and Casa Del Mar. The occidental is OK but Aruba is one of those place it'd be nuts to get an All Inclusive. CL & PL were 2 of the better choices in II as well after the Marriott's and the Ren. The current options are certainly below the quality of DVC but they are nice enough and all on the beach.

We were also disappointed in the switch to RCI. We have a membership with RCI because of a ski timeshare we bought several years ago. We have not been skiing the past few years and have points stacking up because there is never anything available for when or where we want to go. They don't do an ongoing search for their points program and you can only book 10 month out. So if it's not available when you call you have to keep calling and unless there is a cancelation you are out of luck. I would never exchange my DVC points for anything at RCI, the quality of resorts do not even compare. Plus DVC has so many options on their own. On the plus side we could exchange our ski week and get a great deal at Disney if we want an extra week or another room for family/friends.

My disappointment was in the exclusion of several resorts (American Club and Grand Hotel) from the Concierge Collection. We miss them a lot as do other DVC members.

We were also disappointed in the switch to RCI. We have a membership with RCI because of a ski timeshare we bought several years ago. We have not been skiing the past few years and have points stacking up because there is never anything available for when or where we want to go. They don't do an ongoing search for their points program and you can only book 10 month out. So if it's not available when you call you have to keep calling and unless there is a cancelation you are out of luck. I would never exchange my DVC points for anything at RCI, the quality of resorts do not even compare. Plus DVC has so many options on their own. On the plus side we could exchange our ski week and get a great deal at Disney if we want an extra week or another room for family/friends.
We find a lot of good options for RCI points including DVC resorts. For many, you have to be online at midnight day 1 of the reservation window to get the best options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter