DVC direct/resale coincidence?

skyywalker

Mouseketeer
So a quick backstory:
In January I contacted DVC directly to get information on buying at AKL. The nice lady I spoke to called me a few times over the next few months to follow up but the last time I spoke to her I said I wouldn't be ready to make a move on it until the end of the year. Fast forward to today when I received a email from my resale broker to let me know that the contract I'm purchasing was sent to Disney for ROFR. Two hours later I received a phone call from the nice lady at DVC wanting to know if I was still interested in purchasing. I informed her that I am currently buying resale, but I would like to buy 25 points direct in the near future. She asked how many points I was purchasing then wished me luck. Anyone else have this happen? It's kind of weird that it happened because I joked with my wife about this very thing recently and wondered if DVC monitors who contacted them direct to try to snatch their resale contracts. Does it throw up a red flag at DVC when someone who they were trying to talk into a contract buys resale instead? Conspiracy theory? Maybe so lol. What do you guys think?

We kind of had the same thing happen, called up for VGF direct buy was told that they had nothing for us at the time and they had no idea about timeframe for when they would have points for purchase. In the mean time we found a contract we liked and started the resale process, half way through ROFR we got a call at 7am from DVC that they had points but I had to make a decision right at that moment.... (Wasn't to happy about this used car tactic and the DVC agent was a little rude about my needing time to decide if we wanted to buy). Politely declined, made it through ROFR, started the closing..... And magically got another call from DVC the day I signed my closing documents with more points available. The DVC agents tone changed when I told him that we had just closed on a resale contract.

So, I'm not completely convinced that they monitor the ROFR for people who have called, but it seems a little fishy. We made it through the whole resale process with no problems, but we got a little worried during ROFR. We are now happy DVC owners... even without benefits....

I say coincidence. We toured the Aulani and talked to a broker there, then he said he would call and check in with us in a couple weeks. Since then we decided to look at resale instead and have a contract in ROFR right now. We did get a call from the broker about a week after starting ROFR, but it was about the time he said he would call.

It is kind of strange to think about though, right?

There's like zero chance they had done anything with your ROFR submission. Just coincidence.

I was sure to tell her I still plan on buying a small contract direct just in case it wasn't coincidence. Lol. I felt like I was in trouble with the principal.

Do you plan to buy the small addon because of the perks? or is there another reason ?

Regards

At some point the guides are notified that you bought resale, my guess is that there is a sales software that gets updated. They also get reports on who is staying on reservations.

:earsboy: Bill

Very similar thing happened with us. I spoke with a guide over the phone (seasoned and well known) after requesting a DVC packet online. Told him we just placed an offer on a small BLT contract and might add 25 points direct, etc. He suggested same UY (Feb) and suggested I get on a wait list but we couldn't bc of not being current owners/members. About 2 weeks later (we were still in ROFR at 22 days), he called to say there is Feb availability but I reminded him that we haven't passed ROFR yet. He seemed slightly confused stating he thought we were through the process. Our contract took exactly 30 days to pass ROFR while others were notified within 22 days at that time and I wondered if that was coincidence or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter