• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC beats Wall Street!

av8tor

DVC Owner - BLT & BCV
Thank god I bought 250 add-on points the first day of BLT sales instead of investing that money in the stock market. :thumbsup2 At least I can feel good about one recent investment

We all know, as much as disney likes to use the word, DVC is not much of an investment. I wouldn't call it prepaying for future vacations since there are annual dues to pay every year. I just hope this crumbling economy doesn't mean a huge increase in annual dues next year.

Also, off topic, but I was just out of curiousity looking at resales at the timeshare store, Wow... There are an insane amount of resales there and very few with pending sales.

Hey in this economy we all need a silver lining so I agree with you. I am glad that I bought when the market was high because there is no way I would buy now... NO WAY! I am so glad that I have vacations set for the rest of my life and for me that is a good investment.

In this terrible economy I have something great to look forward to and I need that right now.

In hindsight I could have bought 700 points and had the mf for years to come for what I have lost in the past 6 months!: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Enjoy your 250 points!!!

We just cancelled a 160 point add on at BLT. We decided we have enough points at BCV and decided to hunker down and see what the economy does. Unless there are more people than I know that haven't been affected, I suspect that DVC sales are going to take a hit. I don't see how Disney can raise point cost in lieu of the present economic conditions. I love all things Disney, but it is a discretionary thing and not a true necessity.

We would love to own at BLT, but things have to get a lot better out there for us to feel comfortable doing it.

We are considering DVC and my salesperson there actually recommended that we wait and see if Disney offers any lower pricing or better incentives for BLT if that is what we decide we want. He thought with the economy tanking that something would be done.

Well heck right NOW my mattress is beating Wall Street.

That said over the long run.. I am expecting my DVC to eventually have a net value of zero or something close. I expect that at some point the stock market will recover. If I KNEW where the bottom was I would buy!

As I look at another very dark day on Wall Street, I wonder too if Disney will start lowering its prices on DVC purchases and theme park costs.

I wonder if the Timeshare resale prices will start dropping as more people need to sell their DVC Timeshares they no longer can afford ? I think I will wait for purchasing any more DVC points for awhile, as prices are probably going to go down in this new economy.

PHIL

Thank god I bought 250 add-on points the first day of BLT sales instead of investing that money in the stock market. :thumbsup2 At least I can feel good about one recent investment

Congrats!!!!!! :banana:

Plus you have the utilization of the points (a product your family can use and enjoy). :cool1:

We are considering DVC and my salesperson there actually recommended that we wait and see if Disney offers any lower pricing or better incentives for BLT if that is what we decide we want. He thought with the economy tanking that something would be done.

He didn't mention when he thought they might lower prices, did he?

I can't imagine that the parks and the restaurants won't take a hit with the increased prices of admission and dining in the last two years! Whew, we own DVC and it's still such an expensive vacation!

As our "pin money" stocks took a big hit, all I kept thinking was "If only I had added on _______, then at least I'd have the points." All of this because of my fiscal restraint, not to buy any DVC this year!!!:rotfl:

Bobbi:goodvibes

I totally agree with the original OP.

I was just thinking yesterday about how glad I am that we sent in the check right before all this started, or we would have had to back out of our resale contract. We actually paid for DVC with earning we made this year in Visa (V) stock. We took out the earnings in early September, paid for our DVC and put the original investment into GM. So here we are down 40% on our original investment because of the GM downfall, but we still have our DVC and it has retained value (whereas the 13K invested in GM would only be worth $7800 right now). Plus we are so incredibly happy to be DVC members and to dream of all our future vacations, it is relieving some of the emotional stress we are under right now. So guess I found my silver lining in this mess as well!

We changed our portfolio a bit since GM is looking so bad, but unfortunately our plans to add on GCV are on hold until our portfolio recovers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter